Anatomical Help, Eh?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Anatomical Help, Eh?

I always go through a mode where I want to try something new, just to stretch my wings. So for this one I’ll be practicing perspective and drawing blood on a glass-like surface. The only thing that seemed logical for this mix at the time was Superjail.

Right now I’m just trying to get the anatomy right. Although mathematical precision in the show Superjail is something not commonly seen when it comes to perspective, or it’s animation for that matter… alas!

I didn’t use any refs sadly… besides I have a short torso. White people (males) have longer torso’s from what I’ve studied. He’s leaning forward at a purposeful tilt a bit and his head’s looking dead on what he’s drawing.

The main thing I’ll have to be helped on more than likely is the shoes and torso. Is the torso too long? For those who don’t know – this character can morph is anatomy into anything. Still though, that’s no excuse for certain things in my book as the only thing that’s really being warped is his left arm.

The finished look will be painterly and roughly the length of a bookmark. This is the rough stage.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Um, I'd use life drawing or other reference for anatomy studies. I had to Google Superjail and it hurt my eyes.

Your character looks like he's leaning back, not forward, and arms bend at the elbow, not like a slinky. His shoulders would be wider and his torso shorter if he was leaning forward. His upper legs would appear longer than his lower legs from that angle, and his feet would be bigger than his hands.

I wish you luck attempting this, but personally, I wouldn't go near it. You want perspective and proportion, it's way easier to draw from life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @alesoun:

Well, drawing things realistically from life in perspective's a lot easier for me than doing cartoons. Besides, what's wrong with a little challenge eh? I figure if the animators for "Horton Hears A Who" can pull of such anatomically wacky characters then I should with work and effort. Just gotta' find the right mix I think.

I like a challenge. Not everything's going to be perfect the way one envisions it. But that doesn't mean it can't be good.

I know you'd think it would be best to stay away from it. But I'd like to try and make it work.

Overall, helpful crit! I'll give it some changes and upload them to see how it works.

I tried looking up shots on google, but couldn't find any similar to what I'm looking for . And I'm sure I wont be able to find someone who'd be willing to let me crawl under their legs and take photo's haha. But I'll see if I can ask around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is looking pretty cool, methinks. I think his left (our right) arm sticks out a bit, as it's the only limb that's bending in a cartoony smooth way. The others all have at least a bit of their elbows or knees. For cohesion, I think you should run with just one of those styles, though you might get away with both arms being cartoony and both legs being more realistic.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arsanik View Post
    @alesoun:

I'm sure I wont be able to find someone who'd be willing to let me crawl under their legs and take photo's haha. But I'll see if I can ask around.

Heheh! That'd be one helluva good chat-up line! "Excuse me, but I need reference for a pic I'm working on. Would you mind, um......"

Good luck! I'll check back and see how it turns out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have no one to crawl between their legs... maybe I can use my sister for this shot....

Them legs are fucking me up. I think they need to be much wider as they go down. But I dunno. Any tips and tricks people?

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.