Thread: Stupid jobs

Thanks

Stupid jobs

What is the silliest task you've even been given for art related work? Just wondering because... well, just because.

edit: Could we change the title to samething like "amuzing tasks at work?"
    Last edited by Peter Coene; July 21st, 2009 at 12:05 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,499 Times in 747 Posts
    An engineer once asked me to draw a cartoon of a boiler with a stomach ache. When I turned it in, he was like, "it's a good drawing, but that's a boiler with a headache."

The helluva thing is, he was right. It was making a frowny face rather than an oof-y face.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,499 Times in 747 Posts
    Wait! Wait! I can top that!

The building where I worked had a cafeteria, and in that cafeteria worked a special needs person with a goat-choking case of B.O. Rather than taking Johnny Slowcoach aside and explaining the miracle of soap, they asked me to create a booklet on personal hygeine.

Under the circumstances, entirely in pictures.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You're complaining about having an art job and that people are trying to keep you in that job?
    I'm sure your previous way of living was much more ... satisfying.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 516 Posts
    ^ Yeah, Pete, any chance you guys are still hiring?
    Last edited by Bill; July 17th, 2009 at 10:53 PM.

Thanks
    Schadenfreude? Wasn't that an early 20th century German Mime troop?

Thanks
    Are you sure you should be bitching about your job on an industry website? I assume your screen name is your real name. Maybe the drinking after 3 on Friday isn't so good after all.

Thanks
    Let 'im bitch. I've had my share of projects I was hired to do I wanted to face-palm (and probably did in secret) over.
    Blackbird Parfait Sketch Blog~
    O-mie@DA
    Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
    A sword wields no power unless the hand that holds it wields courage.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IKV Nexis View Post
    Schadenfreude? Wasn't that an early 20th century German Mime troop?
    No. That is Hammerzeit you speak of.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Peter Coene: Firstly, congratulations with finding yourself a job.

Secondly, not so long ago you were all and everywhere in this section of CA complaining how it is impossible to get a job in the industry, how you didn't manage to scrape by and not having a clue how to get out of your situation. Now that you have a job, you're starting to complain about how bad it is.

What happened to that can-do positive attitude that makes working with people so nice? Instead of complaining about stuff, start figuring out how to improve things, help your team and get a better life. Much more productive than falling into the same cycle again.

16. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Ah, too bad i already spent mah quota of sympathy on those that can't afford health care.

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Peter 9 months ago haden't you been filling up the lounge with ranting posts about how the gaming industry was an impenetrable force to get into and how you had desperately wanted to get a foot in the door.....

...Humility..?
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by squidmonk3j View Post
    Ah, too bad i already spent mah quota of sympathy on those that can't afford health care.

hey, I can't afford health care..... and I'm working a job I don't like in an industry unrelated to my interests. I think an art job in the industry I loved, working with a team that was sub par sounds pretty good. You guys get health coverage Pete?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 1,728 Posts
    Peter, why don't you take some acting classes locally a few nights a week.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    um, it's a recession, the economies not too hot right now and you have your foot in the door. When I get my first art job I wont be bitching in a PUBLIC forum, hell, I wouldn't even bitch at all. I'm not saying I have been in your situation but I would be grateful to get paid to draw for a kid begging his mom to keep me.

Thanks
    Great, I lost the lenghty post I was writting.
    A freelance illustrator might LOOOOOVE painting, one day or the other they will have to issue invoices.
    A concept artist might LOOOOOOVe concepting, sometime they will have to sit on a boring meeting.
    The star creative director on a crazy new IP in a hotshot studio sometimes has to sit down with his leads and producer and actually plan budgets and milestones.
    There isn't a single job that is all flowers and butterflies all the time. You could have the best job in the world, some days are going to be less than exciting. Unfortunately, evolution favors those who get used to good stimuli and concentrate on the bad, because they have more chances to survive. It also makes a lot of people who have great jobs more likely to complain about it. I work with a lot of whinny people in the videogame industry for some reason. It's depressing but I try to give a positive exemple.

Somedays I'm fed up of polishing tilings and pixel ratio or of shading a 2d animation, but I'm still grateful that I have a job in the industry and I'm still striving to get better so I get more chances to do different exciting stuff.

(btw, splitting a voice actor recording into individual properly named files for each separate sentences in a game might not be exactly art related but it's one of the most mind numbing tasks I have had to do when I was in a smaller studio.)

Thanks
    Hm, you know Peter, the art director and a few others do read CA. I also think you should follow your own advice, I think one of our coworkers went to you saying he felt under-appreciated following a group review and I overheard you saying that no one likes a whiner, which shocked me then and shocks me now hearing you complain about being a concept artist.

I won't be bringing this topic to their attention, I'd rather you reflect on the idea that being a concept artist can also be a great way to give an idea the opportunity to get shot down. It lets the designers come at the idea at a new angle and lets the leads pinpoint what will and will not work. While I'd agree that not all designer ideas are gold, I do have faith that the heads do want the best for the game. Bring out the best out of an idea so that those points can be kept.
    Ventrilo Sketchbook Club:
    Medieve
    a la bapsi
    Robert.B
    Animation Idiot

25. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Medieve For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    ...in that cafeteria worked a special needs person with a goat-choking case of B.O. Rather than taking Johnny Slowcoach aside and explaining the miracle of soap, they asked me to create a booklet on personal hygeine.
    any chance that another leaflet, perhaps about equal opportunities or called 'being nice about people a little less fortunate than you" got circulated where you work ?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to maths82 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Quick bit of advice. Anytime your director,boss, supervisor, teamleader etc tells you don't worry about quality - like, "it doesn't have to be any better than this thumbnail" just ignore it. Listen to the timeline they want it in, and then do the best you possibly can, always. When it comes to keeping a job, avoiding layoffs, or any disputes, excellence trumps all.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sorry for being percieved as griping. This was meant to be more humerous than anything, though my sence of humor is a bit dry and I botched the delivery. Will remove the misunderstood section of the post, though leave the topic up in case others are better versed in joking around.

Thanks
    don't really care how stupid it might be, just as long as I'm PAID!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    This topic is kind of awkward as hell to read.
    On one hand...everyone has a bad day, regardless of the line of work they are in. It's natural to go home at the end of the day sometimes and cuss a few people out to your wife/girlfriend/roomates/etc.

But public forums aren't the best places to let loose your frustrations...it just comes off as "whining and complaining" no matter who you are. And as Medieve mentioned, Art directors and Producers seeing your complaints could very well lead to you getting the axe down the line. Not necessarily directly, but when the tough decision comes down "Hey, we gotta let 2 guys go"...they look at stuff like that.

Unfortunately, I can tell you I learned that one from experience. Complaining to even one person about something at work is just not wise. You don't want to be labelled "A complainer" when your intentions were only to let off some steam. And what you've done here is make it possible for your entire company to read it. The key you'll have to remember is that if you find yourself complaining about your job more than talking about how much you love it, it probably means its time to move on. G'luck...

-D

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medieve View Post
    Hm, you know Peter, the art director and a few others do read CA. I also think you should follow your own advice, I think one of our coworkers went to you saying he felt under-appreciated following a group review and I overheard you saying that no one likes a whiner, which shocked me then and shocks me now hearing you complain about being a concept artist.

I won't be bringing this topic to their attention, I'd rather you reflect on the idea that being a concept artist can also be a great way to give an idea the opportunity to get shot down. It lets the designers come at the idea at a new angle and lets the leads pinpoint what will and will not work. While I'd agree that not all designer ideas are gold, I do have faith that the heads do want the best for the game. Bring out the best out of an idea so that those points can be kept.
    Very good point and I hope that the removal of details (not that I had posted names or anything like that in the 1st place) from the orriginal post and an apology to anyone who read this and fealt belittled is enough to help erase any damage I might have done.

Also, I would like to point out that this was in no way complaining about being a concept artist; I love this job like no other. Also that I think everybody working on the project is great at what they do. What had been posted here was meant to be humerous but was taken entirely the wrong way and I want to sincerely apologise to those who are fealing upset.

Anyone wanting to lock the thread please do so.
    Last edited by Peter Coene; July 21st, 2009 at 12:08 AM.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Coene For This Useful Post: