Help understanding cast drawing with sight-size and compative method
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Help understanding cast drawing with sight-size and compative method

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help understanding cast drawing with sight-size and compative method

Hi,

Totally inspired by Jon Hardesty (MindCandyMan) I wanted to try to learn to draw studying the Atelier way doing bargue drawings and cast drawings with a goal to painting in oils one day. Sorry if I'm asking a stupid question, or even one that has been asked before, but I assume with the cast drawing you do need to own a cast not just copy 2d pictures like the bargue drawings? Does anyone know a UK supplier of drawing casts. I've googled for days with no luck.

If I understand correctly moving to the cast drawings, is an important step, you have to start learning to see the 3D form. I have read many articles about sight-size drawing which all sound cool until I came across more articles about the downside and pitfuls of this method and how you should use comparative method as well. One article was by Jonathan's master Hans - http://www.atelierstockholm.se/index...ntid=64&lang=1
    (At least I think it is I am only on page 36 of Journey of Absolute Rookie. So sorry if I've jumped the gun.)

Phew well its making my head spin trying to understand as I've never come across either and now it all seems conflicting. Sadly the pics are missing from some of Jonathan's posts so I am finding some of them hard to follow. I wish I could afford to study with him at his Classic Art online but its not something I can afford right now. So if anyone could maybe help me trying to understand it would be great. I am very keen to have ago at these types of drawing and I apologise once again if I'm talking rubbish or have posted in the wrong forum (new to that aswell). I already understand I must draw, draw, draw and then some more, more, more.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well. Casts are often made from classical statues and such and while the idea is that you learn from the fact that the cast is a classic as you do the cast drawing, the main point is to reproduce what is in front of you. For that part of the goal, any matte white or light gray object that is not going to decay as you work should do the job. That included raw ceramics (some of which reproduce old statues too!) that can be had cheap, especially if you track down broken ones that will never be painted and fired, blank designer vinyl toys, plastic skulls and any stuff you want to paint matte white. Try to start with the simple ones and work your way up to the tough ones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Qitsune - Thanks ever so much for taking the time to help. Your advice is really helpful and I shall broaden my search now.

Burl- Thanks to you for the link. Just what I was looking for except I was hoping to find a UK based store as shipping costs are just too high.

Since my last post I found more great threads here that have helped with a lot with my confusion between Sight-size and comparative method. Namely Serpian sketchbook threadhttp://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=136114&page=3, which is brilliant and also http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=113729 by dorian. I'm not going to worry too much about exact methods as I think the most important thing at the moment is just to start and practise drawing. That said though I'm still interested in others views.

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Study plates.

I did through Charles Bargue. Taught me to "see" what I was drawing. Serpian's done some and Dorian also as apart of their training. I'm no where near their accuracy, but it was an eye-opening tool.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OmenSpirits - Hi and thanks for your post. I looked at your SB and I think your Bargue drawings are good. Did you strictly follow what the book said, or do sight-size, comparative method or just your own thing? I have ordered the Charles Bargue book so I can't wait for it to arrive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know some ateliers also have their students use bottles painted flat matte shades of grey.

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Marian Rowling View Post
    OmenSpirits - Hi and thanks for your post. I looked at your SB and I think your Bargue drawings are good. Did you strictly follow what the book said, or do sight-size, comparative method or just your own thing? I have ordered the Charles Bargue book so I can't wait for it to arrive.
    I followed the book. Given I learn by osmosis, just working on getting the images to match what I was looking at was enough to push my comprehension higher.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Qitsune- Thanks again. Bottles are another good idea as they are easy to find. I've never painted onto a glass bottle. Would water based emulsion work or would you need a oil based paint like a car spay can?

OmenSpirits- Good to know. Seems the book has helped many people advance their knowledge which is why I've decided to have ago. My drawing ability is very low so it will be really interesting for me to see what I can achieve with practice.

Last edited by Marian Rowling; July 19th, 2009 at 05:30 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.