Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,015 Posts

what should i say

i know people are going to ask me how long i have been drawing at my new school. However i dont know how to reply to that, should i say less than a year? thats how long i have been seriously drawing. or should i say since as long as i can remember, because i have always sort of done doodles and cartoons.

If i say less than one year it sounds like im very inexperienced, and if i say my whole life, than it looks like i have improved like a snail.

:/

lol, im probably over thinking this, but its something that just irks me when im bored.

suggestions? alternate answers?

thanks. lol

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I always respond with: "I've been drawing X years, but really only Y years seriously." <shows sketchbook full of current drawings>
    My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mat Kaminski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    "Since yo mamma showed me how"

Does it really matter? I would say if you have to answer that...stick with the facts, that you've been seriously pursuing drawing for less than a year, but that you've dabbled in it your whole life. Unless you're in a job interview I would say never be afraid to sound inexperienced because chances are...especially in school...you are. Don't let pride hide your shortcomings. Being fully aware and unafraid of your short comings is how you overcome them, not by pretending you don't have any or trying to word them in a way that doesn't sound like they're really problems. Anyway, inexperience isn't really a problem, it just IS, and only time can get you over that hump. Its really just an ego game anyway, worrying about how long or short a time you've been at something. It's the work that matters. Make good work and no one will care how long you've been at it, other than to feed their own ego game...perhaps if you're really young people will be impressed...for a minute..then you get older and you're no longer an "amazing young artist." Hopefully you're just an amazing artist, but if you put too much weight in peoples estimation of anything other than the work itself, then you run the risk of that becoming the highlight of your work.
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    Thanked 1,499 Times in 747 Posts
    Tell them a year. If your work looks good, people will think, "wow! Only a year? Dude's a genius!" And if your work doesn't look all that good...well,geez -- you've only been at it a year.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t11 View Post
    I think you should occupy your brain with more important questions like "is it a good idea to put my underwear on backwards?"
    A: only if you cut out the tags first

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK
    -----------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    I can't remember.

How long have you been drawing for?

Does drawing Mickey Mouse count?

I painted before I ever drew.

Are you talking realistically or abstract?

Drawing? What's drawing?

Does finger-painting count?

My macaroni and string skills are awesome.

Do you mean digitally or trad?

You can head 'em off at the pass all sorts of ways. Worry about it when you graduate, and by that time the focus will be on your portfolio anyway.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alesoun For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Drawing?...

...isn't this cooking school? Shit...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

chriskot is offline non-dishwasher safe, keep away from open flame
    Thanks
    "I just started today. How am I doing so far?"

Thanks
    "Drawing and time are an illusion..." (look blankly at nothing in particular)

"I have been drawing a long time" (have a Dali inspired drawing of a stretched out clock in your sketchbook)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Katfayheirti View Post
    A: only if you cut out the tags first
    And it has a backflap?

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Look at your watch and go:" 4829405 hours, 24 minutes, 32 seconds...33...34...35...36"
    Seriously, people never ask me that. They just rant on how they would like to have talent too :|

Thanks
    Some people have asked me that. In fact, I get to answer that question every 5.5 weeks in school.

My stock answer is "I have been drawing junk since I was 4. I have only been drawing to get better and learn for 3 years."

Some people laugh, others just shake their head and wonder why someone my age is in school for graphics design.

I can draw some, but I'm not expert and that is why I am in school...to get better. If people can't understand that...well, forget about them. They won't matter after you get your degree, or first job.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.