IDW #104: Epic Bombard, pre-1900 - Voting

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite entry in this round of IDW

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mulm

14 50.00%
  • Asahi-SD-

7 25.00%
  • Rabies

0 0%
  • Lucifer

0 0%
  • Mohog

2 7.14%
  • Kabu

1 3.57%
  • CKlamb

1 3.57%
  • timothee

3 10.71%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #104: Epic Bombard, pre-1900 - Voting

IDW #104 Topic: Epic Bombard, pre-1900

Deadline: Monday, July 27

No voting for your own entries! I repeat, no voting for your own entries

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #104: Epic Bombard, pre-1900

Name:  IDW logo poll smaller.JPG
Views: 1189
Size:  7.5 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; July 19th, 2009 at 06:08 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is my first IDW D:

There was this king that wanted to go to war (with anyone), so he had the biggest bombard ever built for his army. When he discovered that the mere presence of the behemoth on the battlefield would result in the surrender of the enemy, he had his castle built on top of said mountain-sized cannon. The king wasn't one for fireworks or loud noises, so the cannon never fired. Its sole purpose was to be the biggest, most intimidating thing on the battlefield. And it was.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Puttin my sketchbook in my signature hurrrmmmm
    Puttin my portfolio tooharrumph

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mulm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Union heavy Bombarde

Originally posted in Pennsylvania to prevent the confederation to reach New York during the U.S civil war , this heavy bombarde was a prototype meant to shot from high ground to a valley in lower ground .
    Luckily it has never been used , the union put an end to the war before.
    It said this Bombarde could shot only once , time for reloading it would have take a whole day , but the fire power was equal to 100 12 pound canons equiped with shrapnel rounds , technically it could have blast off almost half of an army passing in the valley !
    After the war the canon was dismantled and the metal used for miscellaneous applications!

(sorry if it's not accurate , i don't know much about civil war though it's an interesting period of america , sorry for the english too )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Asahi SD was definitley right, i should have gone for something much more simple, and maybe something bigger. However, i felt i was too long in to scrap it, that, and i hadnt got much time here at the end of the week. This is the "Demon Launcher". The gun is filled with underground gasses, wich is then ignited by the summoning of a demon of fire. The demon is then shot out the barrel and either explodes on impact with a ship or eats the crew.

This is probably the weirdest IDW i have made yet. I guess i just carried away. Ill try to make something simpler next time like Asahi said (thanks)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Luxury double canon, made to shoot stuff with stile, specialy for people with power like kings, emperors or tyrants, powered with a steam engine system made of gold. Its structure is made of steel and consist of two units, the first unit is the carrier of the canon balls that are shotted by suction, and works as transport for the owner, also pulls the second unit, the second unit have the super double canon and is were the control room is located, the operators of this room are guide by the lookout guy that stands over the second unit so they can hit the target with precision.

Last edited by Luci Fer; July 17th, 2009 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Longshore Bombard

During the fall of the christian empire in Albion many cannon shipments were lost off the coast as the great storms began. Several decades later it came as a shock to the returning colonists and monks that the pagan natives had adapted the lost cannons into weapons of their own. Adorned with talismans and sacrifices to the pagan gods these 'longshores' utilized hollow javelins filled with explosives and shrapnel; as a result of the vast length of the bombard these deadly projectiles could strike colony ships far out to sea with deadly accuracy.

Name:  longshore2.gif
Views: 1072
Size:  163.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First IDW

i have not much to say... its just a big bad cannon

Name:  Epic Bombard 028.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  383.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Going to turn this in just so I don't find myself running out of time. I still have plenty I want to do to it, but that'll have to be post-turn in. This is two firsts for me, first IDW entry and first non-character related illustration.

The Red Thane Goes to War

Name:  IDW_AlmostFinished_Bombard.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  168.1 KB

Last edited by {CKL}; July 18th, 2009 at 06:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This zeppelin gunship is meant to aid the ground troops during assaults into enemy territories. It carries 12 mortar cannons on it's sides, and a massive howitzer cannon in the front. The ship's bottom has iron plate reinforcements for added protection from ground fire.

Last edited by timothee; July 19th, 2009 at 02:34 PM.
    You can work now and play later, or play now and work later.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A few notes on this round:

Not too much to say actually, except that I'm pleased to see a few more entries than usual in here Thanks to CKlamb for that too, I guess.

New round is already up, for those who haven't seen it yet: IDW #105: Domestic Transformer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh, I doubt it. My CHOWERS didn't finish, though I do appreciate them participating! Hopefully they'll do so again. Crits are coming.

EDIT: I stand corrected JessiBean finished her's off!

Last edited by {CKL}; July 21st, 2009 at 10:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mulm- Hands down the most polished off and finished of all the pieces, I really enjoyed the sense of scale and drama that your design managed to encompass. My minor gripe would be that the color gets a little muddy near your sunset/sunrise.

Asahi-SD
    - Kind of switched it up on us at the last minute...I really liked the first one a bit more, but anyways I like the textures and brushwork a lot. However, I think the cannon has some structural issues, as it seems to bend a little and the lip isn't uniform. I really appreciate the fact that you delved into the history of another culture as your inspiration, most of us never venture to far from our own.

Rabies- I think, with time, you're going to be making some really awesome work. You tackle things head on and don't seem to be intimidated to try things out. I really think you need to start limiting yourself to just one activity a week and spend as much time as possible on it 20+ hours. I think your to quick to call it complete. In your spare time start to do some life drawing, it'll do wonders for your work.

Luci Fer
    - Lots of activity and ideas floating around in your piece, I can see you really were tackling how this thing would function. I think you could definitely had used a little reference material to help guide yourself, plenty of cool train pictures running around the internet. The form is a bit flat, try to use a larger range of tone if you can or, if not, try to use line and strong perspective to give it some range.

MoHog- Nice straight-forward design, I think your strong points are definitely in the cannon itself and the platform. The decorations don't quite seems to mesh with it enough, I know it's a completely different culture, but you have to try to transition and intertwine the two different style so you can get something cohesive. Also, it needs just a little more pop in contrast and color, right now it's kind of lackluster.

Kabu- Great use of differing materials and components, it really gives off a sinister vibe. I'm not to big on the overall finish of the background and surrounding people, it looks kind of like an after thought. I think if your were to bring everything else up to par with the cannon the piece would be very strong.

timothee-I thought your piece was very clean and well executed, the only thing that rubbed me the wrong way was that it was a little to clean, and some of the color choices were kind of...meh. Blue sky, green grass, life is dandy...no wait we're being bombarded by a freakin' airship! Could have used a different color palate and do a night strike or something.

Self- Well...I took way to long trying to reestablish some sense of perspective, so I only got a good two days of painting in...and I think it shows. My estimate is it needs another two days of work to pull it up to a nice finished state.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to {CKL} For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Asahi-SD-: I really like your texture use! I too liked the actual cannon from your first piece more but I think this one's got more atmosphere. I'm not very familiar with the US civil war either but I think the flag is a nice touch!

Rabies: You have lots of imagination, and I like your idea, but the composition needs work here. I agree with CKLamb on the life drawing advice, and don't be afraid to challenge yourself with perspective.

Luci Fer: This looks really thought out I would have liked to see the technical drawing and final rendering separate though (but that's just me, I'm an IDW newbie )

MoHog: Very nice idea! Personally I would have liked to see you take that even further! A bit saddened that you let the cow out in the end

Kabu: That's really malicious-looking! Something seems a bit off about the base to me but I think it might just be the combination of the design and angle :/ I like the little details of your design like the little glow through the side of the cannon. I think a tiny bit of saturation would have made those come out more.

CKLamb: I like your design and use of colors! Too bad you ran out of time on this, I'd really like to see you polish it a bit more. Gonna subscribe to your sketchbook anyway in case you do sometime Also thank you for the feedback!

timothee: I agree with CKLamb's feedback, it could use some more atmosphere. However it's a bold idea, and I think you got it to work. Your piece also has a lot of polish to it despite perhaps lacking some mood.

Self: I'm kinda pleased with how it turned out, but as the helpful members of #conceptart pointed out, I've got a really light screen at home. When I looked at it from work I realize it's still to dark and got some perspective wonks here and there. Still gotta tackle my problem of calling things finished before they really are. I could have focused more on the actual workings of the machine too.

Puttin my sketchbook in my signature hurrrmmmm
    Puttin my portfolio tooharrumph

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mulm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mulm> the color rendering give a whole new scale to your piece , i wasn't so fond of the concept but it end up very nicely !!

Rabies>Agree with CKLambtry one contest that you really push , and maybe limit yourself to things that are still challenging for you , but not impossible hehe

LuciFer>Same a CKlamb , but i quite like the overall style , looks cute

Mohog> nice but mmissing a bit of volume and materials render

Kabu> hhe good though it look like you rushed finishing ot , the canonpart is well done (volume , material) but the other parts are not that well done compare to it ^^ nice work

CKlamb>That's tooooo bad that you didn't push further , really , it took a bit of time to realize that they were kind like of cow beast pulling it , givin all the scale... maybe next time

Timothee> actually i quite like the rendering, a bit like Zelda windwaker , though this rendering don't make it look EPIC i think , but nice piece !!

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Asahi-SD- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks alot for the comets and critics i apriciate becouse im very new at the concept art.

My main problem is that i am not used to work on this short dead lines, so i work kind of slow and theres always many things i could do to my images but cant becouse of the time, also im thinking of geting a tablet, i think that would made my work faster, or a better metod of work dunno, im working on that .

Mulm: I like the concept and the castle stile of the canon, also de perspective.

Asahi-SD: I like the canon desing and the colors, i would like to see a litle more detail on the canon structure.

Rabies: I also like your concept, just need a litle more volume, it looks a litle flat.

MoHog's: The story behind is very cool, i just miss the cow that you draw the first time, hehe.

Kabu: I like the Darckness of the image, it looks intimidating, just the structure its a litle confusing.

CKLamb's: Is cool, i guess would look really nice if you had the time to finished.

timothee: The idea of a zeppelin was very creative, i mean was the only one that didnt limited the weapon idea to the ground, also the wood looks very nice.

Its my first time with the critics, but is cool.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luci Fer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to thank you all for all the comments and critique, it was awesome to see so much activity in the WIPS thread this round. Im reading everything you write and im trying to remember everything, but my art is probably more influenced by my imagination than arty rules, tips, tutorials and such. Guess thats what you get for growing up reading Calvin & Hobbes

Again thanks, cya in the next round!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.