Wise words welcome

View testimonialsView Artwork

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wise words welcome

I'd like to hear people's comments on some of my works that I've done lately. I'm only a high school student but I've been thinking about doing this for a living some day.

Wise words welcome

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Calmari; July 16th, 2009 at 09:51 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,

Very nice pieces. I really like the last one, with the trees and snow. Really interesting colors. I would like to see more details on the trees closes to us - I see that the little branches poking out from the snow have nice detail to them, but the trees themselves look a little sketchy and unfinished.

Id love to see the branches have nice detail, "give it some character" (thanks, Bob!)

Also, one small suggestion on the first picture (the guy's face), is that the hairline above his forehead seems to start at an even angle, like he is wearing a hair hat. it just looks like the hair isn't growing out of his head, just lays on top.

I hope this helps you, Im no way a pro, but these are jsut a couple of things I noticed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Impressive stuff! It seems like you've developed some good advanced skills and habits . You have a nice variety of subject matter here.

Pic 1 (caricature): Good confident line work, not blurry or smudged. No distracting photoshop filters. good variety of textures. pleasing color. Good use of light and shadow. Eyes are a strong focal area.
    I think the ear is a weak area here. The anatomy of the ear could be more realistic. Also, the fleshy part of the nearer nostril is about half the size of the far nostril. And the near side of the forehead seems shorter than the far side. Those are some minor perspective issues although they could be attributed to intentional deformation.

Pic 2 (female portrait) It's difficult to say without seeing the reference photo, but possibly the shading could be more subtle in the face (not quite as dark around the nose, eyes and chin). overall Proportions look good but it's possible that all the facial elements are not completely lined up as symmetrically as they could be. Is the chin crease turned toward the camera more than the nose is for example? Possibly consider flipping the image horizontally a few times and looking for skewing issues.

Pic 3 (bear fella) The style and rendering are really good here. Character designs are distinct and interesting. The background pattern looks like a photo of wood which is a little distracting. Love the bear's tattoo. The hair, fur, cloth metal and wood textures are good. The tilt of the man's head matches the curve of the bear's shoulder right above it and that is probably a bit of a negative. I'd be interested in hearing some other opinions on the man's head/bear's shoulder issue. I think that might be a weak point in the pic that could be fixed fairly simply by rotating the head. It sort of looks like he's ducking so the negative space doesn't hit him in the head.

Pic4 (trees) I think the blurred snow is effective. You have foreground, middle ground and background and some detail in the scraggly scrub bush. I think there could be a few detailed areas on the trees to add more visual interest. Maybe define some needles on the closer branches? Seems like an awful lot of empty sky space. Value range is a little limited to the dark. There are some talented environment gurus here that can provide you with better feedback on this.

Hope that helps

-Michael

Last edited by PsiBug; July 16th, 2009 at 11:30 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Capella: Thanks a lot, I see what you mean with the "hair hat", that was something I had not noticed

@PsiBug: Thank you very much! Your comments were a great help. What I think about the shoulder issue is that the matching curve would guide the watcher's eyes from bear to man, if you see what I mean? But hey, I'm not the most experienced one here, so you might be right.

EDIT: Oh, and here's the reference photo for the 2# pic:
    Wise words welcome

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.