Educational DVD's/videos
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Educational DVD's/videos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Educational DVD's/videos

I was wondering something. Since there are quite a few educational videos regarding (concept) art available there must be people that use them. I know MB has some great video's and there are others amongst them.

I actually don't know how to optimize them for my needs. I mean, I know there are some that take notes throughout the whole video. But I was wondering what you take note of. I find it fun to watch and learn from the professionals, but all I do is watch. And by doing so I have some difficulties using their knowledge in my artwork.

I know taking notes is important. I do it all the time in school during classes like Art history or Pedagogy (I'm attending a fine art and design teacher training education). But those are theoretical classes and it's more easy because it's all theory. The educational DVD's are both: Practical and theoretical. I haven't took any notes during my practical classes so I'm clueless what to write down.

I was wondering how you do it. What do you write down and how do you use it. Do you learn it by heart or do you keep it next to you when drawing/painting. I would love to hear from you.

(Don't know if this is in the right forum though. It's about art and education as well....I hope I didn't mess up)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would like to know as well, I'm a self learning artist though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment. Kev's words are pure gold. All I did lately was read books, read how about composition, read about value, read, read, read. I drew a little bit and I never felt (feel) satisfied. The video's I watch help me a little. Maybe 15% of what I see sticks with me and of that 15% I'm able to use 5% in my own work. That makes me wonder if the video's are worth it for me at this moment. I know I have a small visual library and I should work on that rather then watching video's and reading the whole time. Isn't it true that practical knowledge comes forth out of theoretical knowledge. It doesn't always apply though....at least that is what I'm being taught at school.

It's trough my teaching skill I've found out I'd rather visualize idea's. Too bad the teachers at school don't have much knowledge about concept art. Therefore I thought I start out with reading and watching video's. But yeah...I need to draw too. Just take a peek in my sketchbook....I'm not keeping true to my daily sketches and practicing as much as I want to.

Whoo....mind dump... xD

ps. yeah I found out about name changes and I wanted to get back to my usual alias.

Members who have read this thread: 1