What the hell happened to Vampires? - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What the hell happened to Vampires?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I suppose that the most "orthodox" idea of a vampire would be that found in Brahm Stoker's book Dracula. (NOT the movie, "Brahm Stoker's Dracula.")Its been a while since Ive read it, but as far as I understand, for the time it was written it was basically a mishmash of the older legends of vampires given in a way that bought them together in a very cool monster.

Being that all evil is protrayed by humans as what is negative in themselves I partially agree with Duq's assertion that "Vampires represent a negative side of humans." However, I think it goes farther than that; vampires represent evil that transcends humanity. In what I consider the most myseterious and creepy accounts of vampirism it is portrayed as a form of demonic posession, in which the soul of the one bitten is damned to watch the acts of their body without any control over it, never being released untill the body is destroyed by sunlight, a stake through the heart, or other methods, often representing ritualistic significance. If anything struck me when reading the orriginal Dracula it was that for the moment between the death of the vampire and disintegration of the body it was always specified that the face took on a look of sublime peace, that they were finally released from their tortured existance.

The idea that the Vampire is the same person as the one who was orriginally human returns humanity to it, and with the humanity comes lust, and with lust comes sexuality. Granted the lust is bloodlust so suddenly the sexuality becomes blood related as well. It should be pointed out that sexuality appears in earlier depections of vampires as well, however, it was always an act on the part of the vampire, and represented sinful temptation rather than an actual sexual desire on the part of the vampire. It was like sirens or succubi/incubi; feigning sexual invitations as a way of leading a mortal to his/her doom.

Plus, what I want to know is whats with the modern vampire look? What happened to the cool castles and capes and stuff? I mean, I realise they get kind of close with some of the goth stuff, but now whenever they go with that it looks like vampires are copying goth rather than goth copying vampires, and it makes me want to go berserk.

I do suppose that the anime "Helsing" series is unique in its portrayal, and I like that. I also like that it keeps a lot of the cool religious bits... though it distorts them... which I guess is ok as it is another culture's take on it and pulls it off in a way that is figgin' awesome.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

IKV Nexis is offline Reality, a concept better viewed stoned. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to IKV Nexis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is why I prefer werewolves, they're big, hairy, mean and eat raw meat. Screw the emo pansy romance novel vampires. It's also why I like the Nosferatu version of vampire.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bronke For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Vampires vs. Politicians?

My money's on the politician.

Vampires in fiction is as played out as the serial killer.

Give the masses mediocrity, don't aim for something unique, and you'll be just fine.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another reason to read Apuleius: Book 5, where the witches Panthia and Meroe commence to thoroughly draining one Socrates of Larissa, in classical Vampire fashion. More engaging than a film, and half as expensive.

You might also read Byron as well, since he's still the godfather of the Romantic Vampire (beating out Stoker by more than half a century.) Sex and Vampires have pretty much inseparable ever since. Which makes sense when you consider the origins of most the folk legends. Whether they throw off a nice Mormon glow when sunlight hits them, or explode into puddles of oozing gore, is pretty incidental.

I think its rather cool that the ladies have been stepping up to flesh out this part of the horror genre lately, throwing their own twist on things. I know "Interview with the Vampire" was in heavy rotation, and my girlfriend couldn't get enough of True Blood and those Stephenie Meyer books. And why not? There's only so much you can do with the Slavic and German folklore, and that ground has been pretty well trod already. Anything that gets a 14 year old to put down the iphone for half a minute and crack a book these days, is alright by me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 645 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I liked twilight...........................
    Everyone seems to hate, but really if you're a teen girl it's has a whole new meaning to it

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nibras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lilnebo View Post
    I liked twilight...........................
    Everyone seems to hate, but really if you're a teen girl it's has a whole new meaning to it
    Sorry to say, but I think thats why we hate it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Coene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Vampires + sunlight should involve a whole bunch of biting, exploding, screaming and catching fire.

That's just how it works.

Sparkling should not be an option.

How crap would it be being the most rubbish vampire of all time?

"Oh yeah dude, I caught some rays the other day, Cousin Ted totally exploded in a screaming fireball, Ted's Old school though, , I just chilled, didn't bite anything and kinda...sparkled..It was alright, then I wrote some angsty poems and sucked some more.."

GET OUT! YOU ARE RUINING MY MYTHOLOGY!

Last edited by Flake; July 13th, 2009 at 09:43 PM.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonwclark View Post
    You might also read Byron as well, since he's still the godfather of the Romantic Vampire (beating out Stoker by more than half a century.)
    Although if you're referring to the Vampyre, it was actually written by John Polidori.

Check out Carmilla as well.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Daybreakers looks like an interesting take on the genre

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hookswords For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by squidmonk3j View Post
    ...and soon we will see the Princess kiss the Frog only to become a frog herself. And little princesses everywhere are fondling plastic unicorns made in China.

Mythology isn't what is used to be, and Walt Disney is the Great Deceiver
    She turns into a frog because she herself is not a princess. She's at a costume ball. I think thats a pretty creative twist.

Meh. I don't like the Twilight take on vamps. I especially don't like it because Meyers has never read/seen a single important vampire film or book. She just made up her whole entire folklore.

IKV Nexis is offline Reality, a concept better viewed stoned. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now THESE are Vampires! Left-Max Schreck right-Klaus Kinski

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A vampire is just somebody with a neck fetish and lactose intolerance who smells funny.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What's interesting is reading Wikipedia's description of how they're supposed to look. Methinks Bella would've gotten quite a shock if Edward looked like this

Vampires were usually reported as bloated in appearance, and ruddy, purplish, or dark in colour; these characteristics were often attributed to the recent drinking of blood. Indeed, blood was often seen seeping from the mouth and nose when one was seen in its shroud or coffin and its left eye was often open.[27] It would be clad in the linen shroud it was buried in, and its teeth, hair, and nails may have grown somewhat, though in general fangs were not a feature.[28]

23. The Following User Says Thank You to RyerOrdStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Pff.

My favourite vampires are all the ones written during the victorian era to warn off girls from lesbianism. They made these incredibly sexy, power vampire women seduce all these gorgeous but naive and honest upper class girls and then one of two things happen: the girls fall for it, and suffer horrible greusome 'cleansing' deaths, or the vampire is totally slaughtered by the girl's 'admirer' who saves her and then they get married. It's a great source of really hot lesbian erotica when it was very very very not allowed! Hence all the terrible endings.

ahem. My point is, lesbian vampires all the way.

yum.

25. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No one mentions the darker side of vampires?

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Interceptor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Coene View Post
    Plus, what I want to know is whats with the modern vampire look? What happened to the cool castles and capes and stuff? I mean, I realise they get kind of close with some of the goth stuff, but now whenever they go with that it looks like vampires are copying goth rather than goth copying vampires, and it makes me want to go berserk.
    Goth looks have often been Vampire inspired. You just have to look at Dave Vanian (the clue is in the name) from The Damned, one of the seminal Goth looks, or Pete Murphy from Bauhaus. Siouxsie Sioux etc... It's just gone full circle. Goth emulated the Victorian vampire look, modern writers (such as Poppy Z Brite etc) make their Vampires look like Goths. I'm actually wondering if Dave Vanian really is a vampire as he never seems to get any older...

And Daestwen... couldn't agree more!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally I prefer the type of vampires that have a unique design/element to them. There are tonnes of possibilities for making great characters and It almost seems that some people aren't taking full advantage of it.

I really like the vampires from the legacy of Kain series. It's a cool idea that they slowly evolve overtime into more hideous forms, such as this guy below.

Interesting topic, It's made me want to go draw some vampires now!

Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Man For This Useful Post:

Gavage is offline Aim for the head. That's where the pudding is. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The whole melancholy, romanticised-eroticised shapeshifting creature of the night praying on lustful wayward maidens aspect was perfect in Dracula... but it feels old and tired in anything more modern. Remember seeing Underworld a few years ago and from what I recall, all the vampires in it did was sit around in a big castle looking vaguely pissed off about something.

I preferred the sort of feral vampires in I Am Legend, although the film itself was very tedious. The I guess it'd be nice to see people trying to take it in different directions.

Last edited by Gavage; July 14th, 2009 at 07:14 AM. Reason: I done invented a word.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While we all have our own ideas of exactly what a vampire should be, over the centuries things have been boiled down to three basic rules for a vampire archetype:

1.) A vampire is undead
    2.) A vampire drinks blood to survive
    3.) A vampire can only come out at night (because the sun will either kill them, or cause them serious harm)

We might disagree on the details, but in genenral we can all agree on this much. So when someone messes around with these basics I believe there should be some backlash, even if it is just some dude on a blog (like me) bitching about it.

As far as twilight goes, I think the guys over a CRACKED.COM have a pretty good take on it.

Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What's wrong with making up your own fantasies or mythologies? Why do you have to follow what everyone else has done?

EDIT- not that it's a bad thing if you do, I don't see why there has to be a backlash about it if you don't though.

Zaxser is offline Steph Laberis Fanboy Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Do you Mentler?

Booting up a new sketchbook.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Poshspice View Post
    I'm actually wondering if Dave Vanian really is a vampire as he never seems to get any older...
    I dunno, Dave is looking more like the Penguin than the Count these days .

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggum View Post
    So when someone messes around with these basics I believe there should be some backlash, even if it is just some dude on a blog (like me) bitching about it.
    How old are you?

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sparkly vampires?

Seriously?

That's crap, I knew that Twilight had made Vampires into moody emos but I never thought....sparkly?!?

I am shocked and ashamed to have ever been a vampire.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Goth looks have often been Vampire inspired. You just have to look at Dave Vanian (the clue is in the name) from The Damned, one of the seminal Goth looks, or Pete Murphy from Bauhaus. Siouxsie Sioux etc... It's just gone full circle.
    http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/210813/

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What a great pic! He's a star! Sadly the South Park link doesn't work for Brits, although they do say sorry England.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you'll probably dislike me, since I suck paper instead of blood. I only sparkle when I wear my bling, though. ; )

and yeah, 'let the right one' in was great, and the dubbing was not. as far as 'twilight', I haven't read the book or seen the movie. I don't plan to. I doubt i would like it. however if people are happy and enjoying it, and it's causing kids to pick up a book and read, then it's alright by me.

Last edited by papervampire; July 14th, 2009 at 02:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a great pic! He's a star! Sadly the South Park link doesn't work for Brits, although they do say sorry England.
    Try this.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.