How can I thicken acrylic paint?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: How can I thicken acrylic paint?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How can I thicken acrylic paint?

Whenever I use acrylic, especially with flat, cel-shaded colors, I end up waiting for a long time for every layer to dry. I'm thinking of using clear Elmer's glue to thicken it. Do you know any other ways?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What are you tryng to do, exactly? Do you want (a) faster drying, (b) better coverage, or (c) a thicker paint layer?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thickening it means it will take LONGER to dry.
    Most Illustrators who use acrylic keep a blow-dryer next to their desk.
    Lay a wash, blow dry, lay a wash, blow dry, etc.

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DSillustration For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you use Liquitex gloss impasto gell it will dry quicker. The matt gel dries slower.

From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're painting on masonite, stop. Smooth wood has advantages in other areas, but it doesn't absorb the paint very well or at all. More absorbent surfaces, like canvas or illustration board, seem to allow the paint to dry a lot faster.

Do you Mentler?

Booting up a new sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd look at the brand of paint you are using, and the surface you are working on. Not all brands are equal. If you really want to thicken the paint buy something intended for that purpose. There are several brands that make a variety of mediums for acrylic to give it all sorts of qualities. Golden in particular I remember having a huge variety of mediums, including thick gels.

Then again, as Dan mentioned, thicker doesn't mean faster drying. A thinner layer, will tend to dry more quickly, and a good brand will still be opaque even thin (depending on color of course- some colors are just transparent by nature). Changing your support could possibly change drying time too, depending on what you are already using. A blow dryer is probably the most fool proof and direct method.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Low coverage is the problem. For example, it took dozens of coats of yellow just to cover up some pencil marks. Thanks for mentioning that some colors are transparent. I thought it was just my cheap brand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yellow seems to be a color who's pigments are predominantly transparent. Cheap brands of paint also have lots of inert pigment and fillers that make all of their colors more transparent. If you could allow it in your process, creating an underpainting in a neutral color plus white, it won't matter of the coverage of the yellow because the value is already under it.

"A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
    [[Sketchbook]]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can get a bunch of Acrylic Mediums for different textures/results which you mix with the acrylic paint before applying it on the canvas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eminkey2003,

I use acrylic paints for all my work projects. Liquitex is preferred but really I use all brands. So do you want your application to dry faster or get better coverage? Like DS has said a hair dryer is the tool of choice when it comes to faster drying times yet if you’re trying to create an effect ( ie the detail in rocks and boulders) I find carpenters wood filler works pretty well. Still have to paint over it though….and it may take several coats to get the desired color.

Another thing. If you are experienced in working with acrylic paints you know that the colors, when dry aren’t the same as when first applied wet. A good coat of varnish will restore the colors to the look they had when you first put them on.

Sorry if I’ve posted things that you already know. I’m just not aware of the level of experience of your art.

Bruce

Experiment/ test/ acquire knowledge……“Would be my motto, if I had a motto.” Mr. Universe/Serenity

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It should say on the tube whether the color is opaque or transparent.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 516 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, some colors can't really get away from being transparent, at least in artist's paints. You may be able to find a crafter's acrylic paint that is more opaque, since they are often more concerned with coverage, but it will not be as pure as an artist's paint.

Have you tried painting white (which many whites are opaque) over the area first, then yellow over that after it dries? That would still take more than one coat, but you might get away with only 2.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.