College Project: Externally Set Brief.
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: College Project: Externally Set Brief.

Lunian is offline The New Girl who likes chocolate Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

College Project: Externally Set Brief.

Based on the Newborn theme going through most if not all sections of the activities, I am currently using the brief to hopefully give myself enough credit to pass my Visual Communications course at college.

Brief:
    Extraterrestrial Gestation Cycle

Creature Description:
    Extraterrestrial Gestation Cycle-- As announced in the WIPs thread for the last round, we are doing a special edition COW for the next two weeks tied into the Massive Black/Wacom contest: "Newborn." Our topic this week is "Extraterrestrial Gestation Cycle."
    Your task this week is to design a new alien creature at the beginning of its existence. You entry must consist of no less than THREE panels: Embryo, Fetus and Newborn. You may, with your entry, show more than three stages of its development if you like, but every entry must consist of at least three images (joined into ONE entry, not three seperate posts.) You need to show the creature's development over time, which is why we're doing a minimum of three panels. Embryo means early development. Fetus means its anatomy is formed and visible, but the creature is still in utero/egg/host. Newborn means the creature is sufficiently developed to survive outside it's mother's womb, egg, or gestational host (rather like Giger's Alien Chestburster.)

Think about the possibilities. There are ENDLESS awesome directions to develop your new creature.

You have two weeks to develop and execute your design. That's a lot of time, which is why a little more is being expected of everyone this week. Think about your creatures design, biology, anatomy and physiology. It could have a very brief gestational cycle. It could have a very long one. Humans gestate for a little less than 300 days. Elephants develop over 600 days. What sort of creature would need 1000 days? (That's nearly 3 years) ... or longer? If your creature has an unusual color of blood... what would it's embryo and fetal development look like? Probably pretty different from pictures you've seen of human fetuses or baby chicks inside an egg.

Really push yourself into new designs, even for the embryonic stage. Whereas an embryo might consist of a few cells, for a complicated organism, those cells could be very unusual, detailed and complex. The uterus inside which it forms might be quite unusual.

The Newborn should be a fully designed, interesting creature. Many animals are born into a great deal of self-sufficiency. Some are up and walking within a few minutes of being born. Not every newborn infant is helpless.

The same COW rules apply as always. No humanoids. No characters. No creatures that lack form, design, anatomy.

Deadline:
    Mid August - Exact Date to be confirmed

This Brief was taken from the website: Conceptart.org (www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php)

Any and all critiques are welcome!!

Initial SKetch: Adult

Last edited by Lunian; July 14th, 2009 at 12:01 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My critique is this: you need to post a larger scan of the sketch so we can see what you're trying to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry about that - tried to link it from deviantart >.<

Is that sketch any better?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure if the forum has any particular image size guidelines but I think anything that is too large to be viewed without sideways scrolling tends to get less feedback.

I think alot of members (like me) may have monitors set at a resolution of 1024 or 1280 pixels wide so a good size is approximately 700 to 900 pixels wide. As long as you keep it under 1000 pixels wide, most people will not have to scroll sideways to view most of the picture.

That's just my opinion though . Hope it helps

I like you creature so far. You might consider turning the elbows and knees outward slightly to make it more reptilian/amphibian looking. Or possibly modifying the flippers and body slightly so that the flippers lay flat against the body while on land.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gah - When I've sorted the next stage of the picture I'll sort out a better size for uploading it.

I wanted to keep the forelegs sort of cat like with the detatched shoulder blades. rather than reptile. As it helps when they are climbing about on shoreline cliffs but also when the arms are folded inward with the paws in the pouches which are located basically in the armpits, there is no strain on the muscles (basically - greater level of flexiblity)

While swimming this means the flippers get full flexiblity as the blades and muscles for those arms would be moved to a lower position on the side of the chest, freeing the movement for the flippers while swimming. While on land, they are held at shoulder height to give room for the shoulder blades during walking and climbing, Unfortuantly it looks abit ungainly but then its not there for looks

I am doing a better drawing of it as I work out the internal bits some more. I'll be putting it up shortly.

Thanks for the critique though, definitly something that needs abit more sork done to it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the finished versions of the Newborn and the Fetus:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.