Jason Manley: Color and the Theory of Light - Closed

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,980 Times in 2,546 Posts

Jason Manley: Color and the Theory of Light - Closed

UPDATE...TIME IS 1PM CENTRAL DAYLIGHT TIME. Replacing image. I am in Austin tx..which is central daylight. We will start the show then.

You can cover your tuition here: http://www.conceptartstore.com/stcl.html

Welcome. COLOR AND THE THEORY OF LIGHT is one of the most elusive courses in education. In all of my teaching, studies, or travels, I have yet to see one class anywhere that all of this information is shared, even over multiple semesters in Art School. Well this Saturday it is on ConceptArt.Org, LIVE, streaming and in your room.

This coming Saturday, we will be delving deeply into the importance of lighting theory for illustration, concept design, Fine Art, 3d, film, games, comics, and visual media of all kinds. There will be more information announced shortly but I thought to add some info so those who are interested in their artistic growth may have something good to look forward to.

Communicating the visual feeling of light, and depth of mood is of the utmost importance when making art, no matter the field or industry. Today's art world requires a spectrum of understandings related to both visual and cultural color theories. Accurate, abstract, and emotional qualities of color will be focused on. We will cover basic, intermediate and advanced color theory as directly related to making visual art. Students will learn how to create focal areas, pictorial space through color movements and atmospheric perspective as well as narrative color control for precise and purposeful visual storytelling. Basic lighting theory will be heavily focused on including topics of temperature, value, saturation, compliment lighting, and palette choice for mood variation.

Date: Sunday July 26 2009
    (Sunday date added as this was originally the thread for Sat and is now Sun)
    Time: 1pm - 5pm Central DAYLIGHT Time http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=24 i.e. 1PM here in Austin Texas.
    Cost: 95 USD

This course will be taught live and online. Students will be allowed to chat and ask questions of each other during the lecture and presentation in order to better understand the discussion. I will answer questions as time allows, as we have much to cover. It is a thorough course and you will want to take notes.

This course will be in HD and requires a standard broadband connection. 56k beware! If you are located in Timbuktoo and have a very poor internet connection I will be running a test in the next day or two. Watch the forums here for times and more information, or add me on Facebook and I will update there too. www.facebook.com/creativedreams is my profile there.

Information on how this works will be announced shortly.

I taught a portion of this course in New Zealand at the Marama Workshop. I asked the audience, which was more than half filled with professionals from companies like Weta, Krome Studios and many more, an important question. "How many of you got this in art school?" The answer was unfortunate...none. Well we are going to do something about that here on CA. This topic is going to be shared, explored, and utilized to help artists make better work immediately. Your work will improve because your color understanding will be honed and your eyes opened to how light, mood, and color communication works. I have taught this class many times now and have expanded it to include more info on a variety of fields and how this most important foundation can be utilized every time you sit with the brush or pen.

Hope to see you there! Watch this thread for more info over the coming days.

Jason

UPDATE 1:

Those taking the course will retain access to a video copy of it for their own usage, in streaming form, here on the site. If you need to review, we are hosting it for you. It will only be available for those attending the course with me directly. We will have other services available next year perhaps...but right now the future is upon us.

Now on to the WHY?

If I am taking the time to do this to support the community. Aside from teaching this course based on my primary core studies in art over the past thirteen years, and sharing that knowledge with everyone, there is a goal I have for you all. The reason I am doing this right now is that we are still thousands of dollars short of completing the new blog/profile/main page/and social networking features, including a better jobs site. If I want to see that done for all of you, I have to raise the cash to make it happen. This is being done to support the growth of CA. The new main page is going to be killer. The amount of content for the new page that is stored up is really deep and it will be the primary news source for art online when I am done. Thanks to some talented folks, we have an excellent example and layout in which to work with. Gotta get going though. CA needs the funds to do it so here I am.

What we have done so far (aside from this course and pertaining to the site upgrades):

Final skins are in progress. Example/Prototype is done.
    Loads of podcasts are in progress and done.
    Main page admins are found and ready to rock (Dwight and Swain from SideBar Nation are helping the community)
    Tech firm is found and ready to go as soon as budget is in. Bid is complete.
    Forums and systems are all updated and bug tested. Ready to add the new tech. The latest forums features are in place. Ready to now add the new tech. The online school site is in early development. This budget is also having to be raised. Thanks to our featured artist Sammy, we have another instructor to help me get this going after this course is done.
    The blog system is designed, as is the auto-updater.

If there is enough interest I will do another time. I don't mind staying up for you guys. I am doing that now already. Been working all night.

Thanks for the interest everyone.

Last edited by Jason Manley; July 26th, 2009 at 03:37 AM.
    LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 87 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    It's so great ! First composition download, then color and light theory, it's like a dream ! I would really join this class, but i thing the main disadvantage is the time zone ( 7 hours of difference between SF and France ) ! Anyway thank you

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kikindaface For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thumbs up

Is this course going to have a student limit or is it going to be open to everyone (who are willing to pay of course)? Thanks

Thanks
    Oh man!

Jason, that's really like a dream come true! This is exactly what i need, and i guess many self taught artists and like you said even art school students are thinking the same way about this. There are so many little and big questions regarding this topic, and it would be great to finally have a bunch of them answered.

I definitely want in this course !!

Thanks
    Awesome, I'll be keeping an eye on this.

But unfortunately, I live on the other side of the planet, so that could lead to some complications unless I stay up to watch it.

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Live Stream | Portfolio | dA | Facebook | Tumblr |

Thanks
    Im sure there will be plenty of space. Looking forward to it.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Holy crap, this is something I need to see. The one color studies class my college offered was pretty unsatisfactory, so I've had to start reading books on my own. I still don't feel like I'm taking it all in though, so something like this could be great for me. The only hurdles are going to be time and to a much greater degree, cost. I'm already a full time student with a part time job, but damnit, if I have to lose a couple extra hours of sleep for this I will. Now I just need to save every penny I've got. ...Well, maybe I'll start saving after the composition download comes out.

btw, will the students be doing voice chat or text? I don't have my own computer at school, and I always hate to be talking out loud in the computer lab (which isn't to say a bunch of other douches already do it).

Thanks
    i cant join in on this ! im on vacation for the next 2 weeks :p
    maby you can record these live sessions?
    color and light is something i suck at.
    looking forward to these!

-the source of energy-
    DeviantArt
    ArtWanted

Thanks
    QuaTronics brings up a good idea, it would be great if these sessions were recorded. That way you could offer them as paid downloads for those who weren't able to attend, and as a reference for those who did.

Thanks
    oh thats cool.

Thanks
    the 'want to' part is rhetorical, right?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 753 Posts

Thanks
    One of the problems I see occurring will be the entire channel swamped in questions. Making you lose a lot of time trying to dig through everything and not answering matters twice.
    So it might be beneficial if you would designate someone to collect all the questions and have that person filter them into the most essential.

Like they do in developer chats on irc.

Thanks
    Looking forward to it!

Thanks
    This sounds just too good to be true

SSG Buddies
    Eerin | Hapun | Eromenos

Blog

Thanks
    Hyskoa brings on a good point. And I must agree with others, that a recorded version would be great too! Looking forward to more info!

Chris

Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, it’s a very cheesy response but it’s true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -Bjørn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    gah! That sounds great! I'm used to working in the San Francisco time zone (+7 hours here in Iceland) so time is not a problem. Gonna wait and see depending on what this is going to cost though =)

Thanks
    I'll definately have to check this out. Color theory is definately one of my major weak points I wanna shave down...

Thanks
    This sounds fantastic and a very exciting direction for CA to go in but yeah, the time will probably be a problem for me. +1 for recording them and being able to access them via streaming or download the next day or something.

Thanks
    recorded would be very nice, due to time differences and schedule conflicts! but I would skip a few classes to learn this information...

Thanks
    This sounds awesome Jason!

Maybe a poll could determine what time of the day works best for the majority.

I like the idea of having the recorded version as well, however that might be partially defeating the purpose of live streaming. anti-piracy

Last edited by arghmisfit; July 12th, 2009 at 02:18 PM.

Thanks
    Thank you thank you thank you thank you--I cannot wait. Even if I gotta pull an all nighter, or whatever I need to do, I'll be there.
    My color course in college was ridiculously useless and ineffective. I look forward to this.
    Keep rocking hard CA

"Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

Thanks
    In answer to your question: YES!

Sketchbook Support Group
    Earendil Jussi Tarvainen Reidaj

~Hope~

Thanks
    These classes will be live. We are not recording them for release at this time. It is probable that I will do two times so others can find a good time to make it. If interest is high enough I will repeat the class. I am not anticipating any issues with questions not being answered. The class is very very thorough and the info is very clearly presented. By the end of it, even the beginners are going to understand what I am talking about.

Looking forward to sharing with everyone.

Jason

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts

Thanks
    Oh god, please let my next paycheck be mighty and fat

"Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My DeviantArt Profile: http://dyspezzia.deviantart.com/
    My Portfolio:
    http://www.pezzworks.com

Thanks
    So looking forward to this... Unfortunately, I am one of those students that didn't receive a thorough course on light/color theory- everyone sign up for this!

Last edited by the conjurer; July 16th, 2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: typing error

Thanks
    This sounds amazing Jason! This is something I really need at the moment, something to get me ready for school in the fall.

I hope I can land a job before this occurs so I can pay for it as I'm sure it will be well worth it. Looking forward to seeing more information.

If all else fails I can watch and take notes with my brother. :)

"Wake up. Work hard. Stop being a loser." -Dave Rapoza

[ DeviantArt Gallery ] :: [ Inexorable Artistry ] :: [ CA Sketchbook ]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by the conjurer View Post
    So looking forward to this...I feel I have learned more here observing these artists then in art school! Unfortunately, I am one of those students that didn't receive a thorough course on light/color theory- everyone sign up for this!
    I'm in the exact same spot. It's going to be tough to scrape up enough money for this and the upcoming downloads, but if you want something bad enough you'll find a way to get it.

Thanks
    Want to? Need to.

Can I just give you money now?

• Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5