Jason Manley: Color and the Theory of Light - Closed - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Jason Manley: Color and the Theory of Light - Closed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    Welcome. In a very short time we will be delving deeply into the importance of lighting theory for illustration, concept design, Fine Art, 3d, film, games, comics, and visual media of all kinds. There will be more information announced shortly but I thought to add some info so those who are interested in their artistic growth may have something good to look forward to.

Communicating the visual feeling of light, and depth of mood is of the utmost importance when making art, no matter the field or industry. Today's art world requires a spectrum of understandings related to both visual and cultural color theories. Accurate, abstract, and emotional qualities of color will be focused on. We will cover basic, intermediate and advanced color theory as directly related to making visual art. Students will learn how to create focal areas, pictorial space through color movements and atmospheric perspective as well as narrative color control for precise and purposeful visual storytelling. Basic lighting theory will be heavily focused on including topics of temperature, value, saturation, compliment lighting, and palette choice for mood variation.

Date: TBA - soon!
    Time: TBA - soon!
    Cost: TBA -

This course will be taught live and online. Students will be allowed to chat and ask questions of each other during the lecture and presentation in order to better understand the discussion. I will answer questions as time allows, as we have much to cover. It is a thorough course and you will want to take notes.

This course will be in HD and requires a standard broadband connection. 56k beware! If you are located in Timbuktoo and have a very poor internet connection I will be running a test in the next day or two. Watch the forums here for times and more information, or add me on Facebook and I will update there too. www.facebook.com/creativedreams is my profile there.

Information on how this works will be announced shortly.

I taught a portion of this course in New Zealand at the Marama Workshop. I asked the audience, which was more than half filled with professionals from companies like Weta, Krome Studios and many more, an important question. "How many of you got this in art school?" The answer was unfortunate...none. Well we are going to do something about that here on CA. This topic is going to be shared, explored, and utilized to help artists make better work immediately. Your work will improve because your color understanding will be honed and your eyes opened to how light, mood, and color communication works. I have taught this class many times now and have expanded it to include more info on a variety of fields and how this most important foundation can be utilized every time you sit with the brush or pen.

Hope to see you there! Watch this thread for more info over the coming days.

Jason
    Hey Jason,

Im really glad youve chosen to repeat that lecture from Marama. It was really helpful! Ive actually spent the last 8 or 9 odd months compiling my own color theory tute (30 odd pages or so soon to be added to my sketchbook no doubt) so this will be another huge asset to most artists out there! color theory and even general knowledge of color systems and how to manipulate them to an artists needs is something very lacking in many artists i hear. thanks for sharing! hope to catch this myself

Adam

--------------------------------------
    Adam Nichols
    Concept Artist

http://www.adamnichols.net

Sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=142444

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NicHolS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've been doing some color studies on my own lately, and I think that if everyone planning on being a part of this did the same it'd make this even more helpful. That way we can all be better prepared to comprehend the presentation and to contribute with good questions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These classes will be live. We are not recording them for release at this time. It is probable that I will do two times so others can find a good time to make it. If interest is high enough I will repeat the class. I am not anticipating any issues with questions not being answered. The class is very very thorough and the info is very clearly presented. By the end of it, even the beginners are going to understand what I am talking about.
    Looking forward to sharing with everyone.
    Jason
    I'm interested but I'm worried about 2 things:
    1] I hope there will be a good time schedule also for italian people
    2] If you teach us you should also have the time to answer our questions about the topic covered, otherwise this class won't be different than a simple download apart the fact that would be live ando so once is gone is gone and we can't rewatch it as we like, so what's the plus for us?

Honestly my hope was that the streaming content would have been available for the people who paid for it not only once and waht I expect from a course is that I can have my questions answered.
    Maybe I didn't understand your post but at this time I'm a little disappointed...

Last edited by Theking78; July 13th, 2009 at 02:55 AM.

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,555 Times in 2,164 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The course is so thorough I will be surprised if there are many questions. There rarely are during or after my color theory lectures, though this one has been expanded to cover a number of other areas within games, film, etc... If you listen and pay attention you will see for yourself. I will answer questions of course. I said that already. That is the point of doing it live. Direct interaction. That is the beauty of technology and a primary reason for doing it live. Those taking the course will retain access to a video copy of it for their own usage, in streaming form, here on the site for thirty days. If you need to review, we are hosting it for you. It will only be available for those attending the course with me directly. We will have other services available next year perhaps...but right now this is where things are headed. The future is upon us.

Now on to the WHY?

If I am taking the time to do this to support the community. Aside from teaching this course based on my primary core studies in art over the past thirteen years, and sharing that knowledge with everyone, there is a goal I have for you all. The reason I am doing this right now is that we are still thousands of dollars short of completing the new blog/profile/main page/and social networking features, including a better jobs site. If I want to see that done for all of you, I have to raise the cash to make it happen. This is being done to support the growth of CA. The new main page is going to be killer. The amount of content for the new page that is stored up is really deep and it will be the primary news source for art online when I am done. Thanks to some talented folks, we have an excellent prototype and layout in which to work with. Gotta get going though. CA needs the funds to do it so here I am.

What we have done so far (aside from this course and pertaining to the site upgrades):

Final skins are in progress. Prototype is done.
    Loads of podcasts are in progress and done.
    Main page admins are found and ready to rock (Dwight and Swain from SideBar Nation are helping the community)
    Tech firm is found and ready to go as soon as budget is in. Bid is complete.
    Forums and systems are all updated and bug tested. Ready to add the new tech.
    Latest forums features are in place. Ready to now add the new tech.
    The online school site is in early development. This budget is also having to be raised. Thanks to our featured artist Sammy, we have another instructor to help me get this going after this course is done.
    The blog system is designed, as is the auto-updater.

It's five am for me right now. I'm still up because I have good things I am doing. I imagine those interested who are in other time zones can find a way to make it work regardless of what time it is. HOWEVER, if there is enough interest I will do another time. I don't mind staying up for you guys. I am doing that now already. Been working all night.

Thanks for the interest everyone.

Jason

I will add this post to the first so that the info is in place but I wanted to respond with an update.

Last edited by Jason Manley; July 13th, 2009 at 06:36 AM.
    LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is gonna be amazing. I'll be glad to do an online class in the middle of the night because I know it will be worth it.
    Thanks for doing all this amazing work for this wonderful community. You can't please everyone I guess, but I think a little effort on our part (being the users) ain't to hard to ask for. Keep it coming

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Theking78 View Post
    I'm interested but I'm worried about 2 things:
    1] I hope there will be a good time schedule also for italian people
    2] If you teach us you should also have the time to answer our questions about the topic covered, otherwise this class won't be different than a simple download apart the fact that would be live ando so once is gone is gone and we can't rewatch it as we like, so what's the plus for us?

Honestly my hope was that the streaming content would have been available for the people who paid for it not only once and waht I expect from a course is that I can have my questions answered.
    Maybe I didn't understand your post but at this time I'm a little disappointed...

1. As said king. If there is interest and support I will do so. Otherwise if you want to get this, which is the ONLY place you will get it all at once, then I am sure you can find a way. If not this time then next. You are most welcome.
    2. If you read the first post, which clearly you did not, you would find the answer to your question.
    3. Disappointed? Ok. But only because you must learn to work on your patience. I did tell you more info was coming. Patience patience.
    4. If you take a course in college you do not get to keep the lectures. You are expected to pay attention and take notes and RETAIN to learn. This is no different. However, as said above, we are going to host the video for the attendees so it can be revisited.

Last edited by Jason Manley; July 13th, 2009 at 07:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those taking the course will retain access to a video copy of it for their own usage, in streaming form, here on the site for thirty days. If you need to review, we are hosting it for you. It will only be available for those attending the course with me directly. We will have other services available next year perhaps...but right now this is where things are headed. The future is upon us.
    This is exactly what I was hoping for. I'll still be taking notes, but being able to go over it a couple times to make sure I've gleened everything possible will be really great. Thanks for all this work you're putting in Jason!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really hope I can get some money together for this one, I've been trying to get my head around colour for a while and I keep confusing myself. Thank you for doing this Jason. Looking forward to the class and the new site!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IŽll gladly hear you again talking about colour!

Jaku

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet! Colour theory is definatly one of my weaker points. Count me in

Thanks.

sketchbook http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=162034

C&C are more than welcome

deviantart gallery http://midge7.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. As said king. If there is interest and support I will do so. Otherwise if you want to get this, which is the ONLY place you will get it all at once, then I am sure you can find a way. If not this time then next. You are most welcome.
    2. If you read the first post, which clearly you did not, you would find the answer to your question.
    3. Disappointed? Ok. But only because you must learn to work on your patience. I did tell you more info was coming. Patience patience.
    4. If you take a course in college you do not get to keep the lectures. You are expected to pay attention and take notes and RETAIN to learn. This is no different. However, as said above, we are going to host the video for the attendees so it can be revisited.
    1] I agree, at least I can take a day off of work to follow your lesson because I think you have much to teach me.
    2] I read the post.... but maybe the fault is my understanding of english language because when I read "I will answer questions as time allows, as we have much to cover" I understood that if you'll have the time you'll answered the questions but it's not sure because the things to cover are very much... sorry!
    3] Sorry again!
    4] In my opinion you don't have to compare what you're offering only with college but also with what other online communities are offering at the moment. I took an online class with Don Seegmiller and I learned a lot because of the assignements and the exercises that he looked at and told me what to correct and what to focus on. I think you're a very talented group of artists and it would be great to have some you as teacher for a little long time than a simple lesson with no possibility to let you see what we've understand and being addressed by you about the covered topic of the course. I can follow your lesson and think I've understand everything but when I try to put it on the paper I can create a shit and it would be great for me to hear you telling me: "what are you doing? You're not following what I said because..." I understand this would be a little more complex for you to do but it can be done with some days of delay between questions and answers and of course since it's a different kind of approach you can charge the service more and earn more money for the new website.

Last but not least let me say again I appreciate very much what you're doing here and I'm trying to support CA as much as I can and when I critic something my aim is to let CA become a better place for eveyone and not for the pleasure to stress people who's gving his aim to this site and Art in general.

Thank you!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Theking78 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We are working on a full online art school program which will have a range of learning options. However, this is still in the planning stages and is probably another twelve months out. In the meantime we are upping the quality of education with direct student to instructor interactive courses like Color Theory.

J

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is awesome news!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jason, I am getting a break in my tuition which was a huge surprise to me! This means I will have some extra money to spend. This semester, I am taking Sculpting I, Painting I and Life Drawing (over again), and I figure this class will be a GREAT complement to painting as well as something fantastic for me personally.

Do you think it will cost as much as a university course or a community college course? he he

"Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My DeviantArt Profile: http://dyspezzia.deviantart.com/
    My Portfolio:
    http://www.pezzworks.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wanna join in!!! I don't know ANYTHING about colour theory! o_o Well, okay maybe a couple things, but it's probably not enough.

I just have to see about the time and money. Ohhh, bah to work.

My problem with classes is that I'm slow at writing (eyesight...it's still a good reason!), so I hope you don't go through the lessons too fast... But I dunno, my "fast" tends to be other people's "normal" speed. Pfft. At least I wouldn't have to go through a number of buildings to find your class, Jason!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pezzle View Post
    Do you think it will cost as much as a university course or a community college course? he he
    Let's hope we will be able to pay that amount of money.

I hope I'm able to participate. It sounds like a golden opportunity to learn more about color theory. I did get some color theory at art school, but that was nothing more than the basics. And it was thought bad.... I hope I can afford it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in! This is a fantastic opportunity you are providing us with!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are my hero manley! can't wait

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostlimeturtle View Post
    Let's hope we will be able to pay that amount of money.

I hope I'm able to participate. It sounds like a golden opportunity to learn more about color theory. I did get some color theory at art school, but that was nothing more than the basics.
    Indeed. I can afford what I pay for a community college class, but I'd have to like... finance it :|. For comparison, my Life Drawing class is $486.00 and at least I know the proceeds are going back to something great, like this community.

"Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My DeviantArt Profile: http://dyspezzia.deviantart.com/
    My Portfolio:
    http://www.pezzworks.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I can afford it, and I can actually view it because of the time difference, I will definately join! Money will be the biggest issue for me, but I'm sure it will be more than worth it. I'm really excited just thinking about it !
    I know that everyone working on it will offer it for a fair price, and it's even better to know the money will be going back to the community, so it's win/win all around! A big thank you to everyone who is organising and helping with this!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is not going to be 486.00 that is for certain.

I sent off some questions to coro and melissa and andrew. answers soon.

For those of you interested in the course I have an assignment for you if you want to test your before and after knowledge. This is just for fun.

Do three environmental or figure studies.

1. morning light...sunrise
    2. cloudy day light
    3. mid day light
    4. night time

Subject is up to you. Consider them color studies. After the course do the same assignment and see the results for yourself. Having this done before hand will give you a great example of how your understandings improve in the coming months after the course. In all honesty, I expect an immediate improvement in a lot of ways. We shall see for ourselves.

Here are some color studies from the 19th century. Even the big boys did em. Best thing to do for your eyes and understanding of color. Hell, Monet made a whole career of them, as did Caillebotte and other awesome painters.

Attached Images Attached Images          

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am very interested and I hope that I can be part of this.

While I patiently await more information, I wonder if there could be any discussion of price range? Unfortunately I'm a bit strapped financially at the moment, though I think that I could scrape up enough. I've never participated in anything even remotely like this so I have no idea what to expect. I wonder if a ballpark price range, even a very vague one, could be provided?

If not then I will simply keep checking back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason just said that he was talking about it with people he works with and that answers would come soon. Sit tight.

Just started on those 4 color studies. I never realized how clueless I really am when I focus on color, I usually tend to just throw down whatever I think looks good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the tip Jason, will do those studies and I can't wait to see the changes after being enlightened by your lesson!!

"Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Really hope I can afford this. Did my studies anyways.

Name:  color_studies.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  79.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's mine (20-30mins each). Kind of embarrased by how elementary they look, but I guess that means I should be able to grow a lot from this class.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    edit: internet fucked up, double post >_<

Last edited by Ian Barker; July 14th, 2009 at 08:05 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The price could be the only hiccup for me.. Don't care what time of day or night it is

Jason: This is an awesome thing you guys are doing here!

The company I work in is considering paying for this, seeing as how this will educate me and make me a better asset for the team.. for those of you working in the biz, maybe ask your boss?

dC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Will there be any structured exercises for this class, with critiquing etc, or is it just the lecture?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 10