Thanks

Blades, Bots, Tanks, and...Vacuums?

So if anyone isn't aware, the new Industrial Design challenge is going to be posted tomorrow. This will be a first time for me on IDW, and I bet there are a few of you that haven't tried it out yet either. Let's tackle it together, give this thread a drop if your interested. Be there or be square!
    Last edited by {CKL}; July 11th, 2009 at 12:52 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to {CKL} For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Don't be shy kiddies....

Thanks
    Hrmph.....okay...so I know at least 95 of you have taken a look at this thread and no takers....Let me appeal to your selfish side then.

Most of us, just from looking at the activity boards, are primarily into character or creature art. Plenty of obvious reasons for that. NOW, considering that MOST of us {pros included} are into the same subject, how competitive do you think that makes the field? Ridiculously.

Now let us say you work hard and you grind out character, after character, after character, and, finally, you have a competitive character portfolio. GREAT! AWESOME! BUT, so does every single competent wanna-be concept/character artist.

Let us put out a hypothetical: artist A and artist X are applying for the same entry level job at a nice new shiny studio. Artist A has a portfolio filled with character and creature art; samurai, druids, ogres, three-legged dogs, you name it he/she has drawn/painted it. Now artist X, well he/she doesn't have as many pieces that display his/her character/creature range (though the ones they do have are the pinnacle of their work), but what this artist DOES have is a very tight and organized sense of INDUSTRIAL DESIGN represented in the portfolio; tanks, siege towers, guns, swords, motorcycles, tricycles, spaceships, etc. Not only can Artist X hang with Artist A on character/creature work, but X can also do...everything else it takes to make a successful production.

"Hrm....we're a new studio...hrmmm...we really need a team player that can switch duties on the fly..."

So, what happens next, eh?

What you need, my friend, is diversification!
    IDW OR DIE! (Or at least not get that job that could start your career)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I'm just a bit lost; you're hosting it? or you're joining up? Or something else? And we have to let you know what we're doing in this thread.... why?

I'm really not knocking you or IDW or anything, and your last post got me more interested in it, I'm just kinda lost as to what's going on.

Related question: though I'd like to participate, I'd also like to know what kind of studies would help. So far the only thing I can think of is to draw a bunch of machine parts to expand my visual library, but it seems a little basic...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Me running it? No way, that's Yoi's gig. I'm just trying to stir up some interest in participation. You don't have to let anyone know anything, just jump into the fray. I was just hoping to get some people interested outside of the activity boards, and seeing as the next challenge hasn't been posted I thought this would be a decent place to start a thread.

I think, in response to your last question, you should start examining just about everything you see; vehicles, appliances, buildings, tools, etc. Within them you'll find two things utility and aesthetic, which sometimes work together or just don't work at all (a la crappy design). Start thinking about these two things critically. And, as far as machine parts and things of that nature, I'd do studies as the need arises. Such as, hey I would really like this vehicle I am designing to have some way to lift things out of its way...now what technology can currently can do this...hrm...hydraulics seem like a starting point...what uses it and how is it implemented...etc. This way your studies and development are a bit more organic and not so "why am I doing this boring stuff!".

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Ahhhhh I see thanks for the suggestions as well.

Thanks
    By the way, Yoi's topic for the week is:

Epic Bombard, pre-1900

Bring out the Big Guns!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Hahaha many thanks for stirring things up CKLamb! Damn I'll soon lose my edge over all the ChOWers and COWers huh?

Seriously though, I appreciate the effort. I've come to terms with the fact that ID stuff is simply not as popular as characters or creatures, plus the fact that most people seem scared shitless when faced with the task of design ID stuff (which is one more reason to actually get into gear and try it, yes?). IDW has alwasy been rather small scale, and probably will remain that way.

Good news is: the new round is up! Go check it out:

IDW #104: Epic Bombard, pre-1900

Blades, Bots, Tanks, and...Vacuums?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post: