We are the first to hatch...(UPDATED: Second Submission pg 2) - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: We are the first to hatch...(UPDATED: Second Submission pg 2)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonChilD View Post
    well ,what to say?it's killer good
    if you enter this competition ,we are all doomed!!!
    Nonsense!
    I fully expect one of the big boys or girls who hasnt posted thier work here and just sent it in to compete will casually blow us all out of the water while we were sleeping.
    Im very glad you like it though, thanks for taking the time to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by aaro_n View Post
    guess we have a winner!
    I keep catching new things every time i stare The bounce light..alright imma calm down. This eliminates the need of coffee in the morning, thank you much sir
    This is more nonsense!
    There will never, ever be anything that even remotely compares to coffee in the morning...but im glad you like it, and I really appreciate you saying so =)

Y'know most people only look at something for 15 seconds at the max if they really like something, the usual work gets 3-4 seconds. Getting people to stare is the holy grail, this compliment really meant a lot to me aaro_n, thank you.

All the best to you

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wish you the best Man;
    As always it is very good!

Pure nigthmare!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Riddick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow..this looks almost like a screenshot from a horror game on a next-gen console. Great work, and your execution blows my mind off! It's also interesting how you lead the audience's eye around the picture, while keeping what isn't the main focus still so sharply and beautifully rendered.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to calyx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This image didn't help me sleep last night. It's brilliant work though.

Would love to see some wip or tutorials from you, I just don't understand how this is done in Photoshop.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Leighton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah,i second that , a wip would be awesome...
    go CC go!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MoonChilD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Impressive work,congratulation!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to diissar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all!

I guess I couldnt resist, the topic is just TOO GOOD.
    Whoever came up with it is a genius, my brain has been on fire with ideas since I saw the contest.

Anyway, heres the new submission.
    Theres no way this will win, its too visceral I think.

I hope you guys dig it.
    Completed from sketch to finish in Photoshop 7.

Kindly view it fullscreen on a black background.

[UPDATED: fixed wall texture beneath grafitti to be more believable]

Title: In the shadows of the mundane...

We are the first to hatch...(UPDATED: Second Submission pg 2)

Last edited by Cryptcrawler; July 17th, 2009 at 08:06 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cryptcrawler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    when will we see a WIP of some sort?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MoonChilD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice update,i still prefer your first image,the mood and colors are better in my opinion

18. The Following User Says Thank You to diissar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Morisse
    A great image, so well done. To make the process seem so effortless that is the hard part.

Thanks Michael, im glad you dig it.
    You know I dunno if ive ever looked at anyones work and thought "it seems so effortless", I guess its because that art has always been all about blood, sweat, tears and confrontation for me - and thats just how I like it, its good for the soul.

I like to fight with things and then see what happens, see who's left standing and see whats lurking around down there.

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!
    I just wanted to clarify that I don't think there is anything "effortless" about your work, I am a big fan and I probably expressed it wrong.

What I was trying to say is that when someone like yourself has worked and struggled extremely hard, they get to a level of expertise and control where they can make images that transcend all the problems, and become believable world of their own. Not held back by lack of drawing skill or painting ability.

Like when you listen to a great guitarist, you know how difficult and how much practice it takes, but if they are good you just hear great music.

I know that you put tremendous effort into your work
    , so much so that I just see a great image.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Morisse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
    Wish you the best Man;
    As always it is very good!

Pure nigthmare!
    Ohh good, thats what I like to hear!
    Thanks buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Wow..this looks almost like a screenshot from a horror game on a next-gen console. Great work, and your execution blows my mind off! It's also interesting how you lead the audience's eye around the picture, while keeping what isn't the main focus still so sharply and beautifully rendered.
    Thank you very much calyx, this means a lot to me.
    I really try and shoot for that look: video games, movies etc and I work long and hard on these.
    Thanks very much for the kind and flattering compliments!

Quote Originally Posted by Leighton View Post
    This image didn't help me sleep last night. It's brilliant work though.

Would love to see some wip or tutorials from you, I just don't understand how this is done in Photoshop.
    There isnt a whole lot to understand, really.
    Its done in photoshop using a lot of time and a willingness to work at 1200% magification - on a pixel by pixel basis - to tighten things up, if need be.
    These take me a lot of time; usually in the nieghborhood of 8+ hours a day for about 3-4 days, so keeping a WIP file is really cluttering, distractive and impractical for me.

A video tutorial is in the worls, which will be a much more hands-free way I can show process in a meaningful and useful way for others.

I very much appreciate your kind words and wonderful compliments!

Quote Originally Posted by MoonChilD View Post
    yeah,i second that , a wip would be awesome...
    go CC go!
    One will definately be in the works soon, a video tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by diissar View Post
    Impressive work,congratulation!
    Im thrilled ya think so.
    Thanks so much!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gosh CryptCrawler. You certainly have a way with textures and lighting. Yep, it is rather 'visceral', but that's much more mainstream and acceptable than it used to be so don't write your chances off straight away. Who knows what the final criteria for picking a winner may be.
    Yet, I too suspect that a certain amount of fence sitting may have to be involved when you look at the list of great sponsors - whom I am very grateful to for their support of such an event, whoever and whatever their decisions may lead to. Their money - their call. It's how the world works. We all gain just by taking part, as has been said many times by many peope before, and it's still a truism.

__________________________________________________ __________

Nick Harris illustration http://nickillus.com/ SKETCHBOOK GALLERY
    __________________________________________________ __________

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickillus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Please make sure that video tutorial gets announced somewhere when it's done ^_^ I think it would be very usefull ^_^

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitten Poker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love the lighting a lot

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Bdbros For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by diissar View Post
    nice update,i still prefer your first image,the mood and colors are better in my opinion
    Thanks diissar! I think your absolutely right, but I figured why not; I have a few days before this new contract and this idea developed much more fluidly than the others I was messing with.
    I appreciate the compliments and glad you like the work!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morisse View Post
    Quote:

I just wanted to clarify that I don't think there is anything "effortless" about your work, I am a big fan and I probably expressed it wrong.

What I was trying to say is that when someone like yourself has worked and struggled extremely hard, they get to a level of expertise and control where they can make images that transcend all the problems, and become believable world of their own. Not held back by lack of drawing skill or painting ability.

Like when you listen to a great guitarist, you know how difficult and how much practice it takes, but if they are good you just hear great music.

I know that you put tremendous effort into your work
    , so much so that I just see a great image.
    You know comments like these really mean a lot to me and make a difference to me. I have definately worked really hard to build what little skills I have, and to know that ive succeeded in creating an immersive experience for you really makes all the toil and ballbusting worth it; its the exact reaction that I work so hard for.
    Your compliments and approval mean a lot more to me than you may think. When someone tells me thier a "fan" of my work, I take it pretty seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickillus View Post
    Gosh CryptCrawler. You certainly have a way with textures and lighting. Yep, it is rather 'visceral', but that's much more mainstream and acceptable than it used to be so don't write your chances off straight away. Who knows what the final criteria for picking a winner may be.
    Yet, I too suspect that a certain amount of fence sitting may have to be involved when you look at the list of great sponsors - whom I am very grateful to for their support of such an event, whoever and whatever their decisions may lead to. Their money - their call. It's how the world works. We all gain just by taking part, as has been said many times by many peope before, and it's still a truism.
    It really is.
    Im honestly just grateful that I had the opportunity to take part in the contest, its a great, great topic to riff on and I got really lucky by having some free time come my way for once - so either way, I get to win.

Like you said; thier money, thier call - I dont have a problem with that in the slightest and they have to choose whats going to suit their product the most and provide the widest appeal.
    Im a pure capitalist at heart: sink or swim, the most relevant work should win and it should help push thier product.
    Horror - while more accepted these days - still is a left of center genre and not as likely to get picked, at least I dont think its as likely; but that doesnt factor into what my heart tells me to create.
    Like I said; sink or swim - but some of us like to lurk around in the bottom, in the darkness.

Thanks for your compliments, I appreciate them Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Poker View Post
    Please make sure that video tutorial gets announced somewhere when it's done ^_^ I think it would be very usefull ^_^
    I promise I will. Thanks very much for your interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdbros View Post
    love the lighting a lot
    Thanks! Its probably my favorite aspect of illustration.

Thanks for the great comments, all - take care!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love your first submission. They're both technically superb but the first is a lot more interesting. Great works!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Boxer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, you're a master of texture all right. Detail work, if combined with solid ability, always pays off and it's motivating to see someone take it to the next level, as it were. Sounds like you're a pretty fast worker too, only a few days for something like that would be beyond me, I think.

I wouldn't worry too much about the subject matter for the cover (you're not, I know). I think what might happen is that the winner will go on the text-free subscriber-only cover, which is what happened to mine on a previous comp, and therefore the issue of potential buyers being put off due to the lack of a semi-naked buxom wench is avoided. Still, I don't know what the plans are this time so I might be talking out of my ass, not for the first time either.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are an incredible artist. I really like your work and would love to see a video of your whole process.

I do have a slight critique for the second entry, i think the back wall with the graffiti is not currently right... it looks flat somehow...

i dont really know how or why, its just how it looks to me. If you see it great if you think i am nuts then i understand that too, either way, both entries are far and away two of my favorites in this contest.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Bhrandon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW the egg looks so realistic its frightening!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Me,Myself & Me again For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, wow. That is just... wow. This gives me chills without question. Awesome as usual! Some areas I think might need some shadow love, like maybe a shadow of the creature on the wall... it can be subtle, but I think it would help break that somewhat digital-y feel that it has a little bit now. I would also love to see a bit more drippiness and slick sheen.

I think the first image is still my fav, but this one rocks the town as well.

Wicked!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Muttonhead For This Useful Post:

Lusaka, Zambia. Willing to relocate to anywhere in the world.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome painting's, both of them, of the two the first one's the gets me the most. all the dark shadows, the way you rendered the egg, even small details like those moths or whatever they are flying around & on the walls. the trash bag looks really great in the second image, what the heck everything's great. i find it hard to draw horror scenes, maybe i'll try something when the contest's over. thanks for the inspiration

DRAW UNTILL IT HURTS
    AND THEN DRAW SOME MORE

40. The Following User Says Thank You to miycko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cognition.sb View Post
    Love your first submission. They're both technically superb but the first is a lot more interesting. Great works!
    Thank you very much cognition!
    I think your right, the first one has more impact, the second doesnt have that oomph, but its ok - you just cant win em all.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    Yep, you're a master of texture all right. Detail work, if combined with solid ability, always pays off and it's motivating to see someone take it to the next level, as it were. Sounds like you're a pretty fast worker too, only a few days for something like that would be beyond me, I think.

I wouldn't worry too much about the subject matter for the cover (you're not, I know). I think what might happen is that the winner will go on the text-free subscriber-only cover, which is what happened to mine on a previous comp, and therefore the issue of potential buyers being put off due to the lack of a semi-naked buxom wench is avoided. Still, I don't know what the plans are this time so I might be talking out of my ass, not for the first time either.
    Hey, weve all talked out our backsides at one point or another.
    I appreciate your compliments a lot, Baron.
    I dont think ive mastered texture, but to know ive motivated another artist, and a skilled one at that, is whats important to me. You would be surprised what you could do if you decided to really, really push yourself - and I mean make it hurt.
    For whatever reason, I need to feel that; which is why I thrive on deadline pressures I suppose, the fight to produce your best despite not enough time to do it in always seems to be a satisfying challenge for me.

Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhrandon View Post
    you are an incredible artist. I really like your work and would love to see a video of your whole process.

I do have a slight critique for the second entry, i think the back wall with the graffiti is not currently right... it looks flat somehow...

i dont really know how or why, its just how it looks to me. If you see it great if you think i am nuts then i understand that too, either way, both entries are far and away two of my favorites in this contest.
    Your right on the money, Bhrandon. The magnificient El Coro said the same thing - the wall looked buttery before, like the graffitti was floating on it. I just posted an update with a fix, id like to know if you think it looks better, I think its an improvement.

I appreciate your keen eye. A video tutrorial is in the works, thanks for the interest!

Thanks to all for your time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You second piece looks great, Cryptcrawler. The graffiti looks more better now but I believe with much more practice, you can make a really believable textures for it. Keep it up and I really respect your passion in pushing one self.

Now back to work for my second entry piece.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Huey Yeng For This Useful Post:

Milano, Genova, Paris, Bari next hope London or Montrčal.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa thie piece it's my favourite! Great atmosphere, color, light and simple idea!

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice, love it!

My Sketchb00k regular updates
    -= i am looking for work =-
    DeviantArt . CGhub gallery . www.artofinca.com . Blog

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Artofinca For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uh, I know this is kinda odd, but, I can never see the actual pics. User error?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome! lighting and textures seems just perfect! and i really love the atmosphere! impressive and inspiring! thanks!

50. The Following User Says Thank You to rickardwestman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No crits from me. Both pics rock! I love the crispness of the second one and the creepy angle of the first. Both have a wealth of textured details which I love.

52. The Following User Says Thank You to zimfin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Me,Myself & Me again View Post
    WOW the egg looks so realistic its frightening!

Thanks!
    Thats exactly what I was shooting for!
    I appreciate the compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttonhead View Post
    Oh, wow. That is just... wow. This gives me chills without question. Awesome as usual! Some areas I think might need some shadow love, like maybe a shadow of the creature on the wall... it can be subtle, but I think it would help break that somewhat digital-y feel that it has a little bit now. I would also love to see a bit more drippiness and slick sheen.

I think the first image is still my fav, but this one rocks the town as well.

Wicked!
    I think the first one is stronger as well, Mutton.
    Y'know your right about the back wall, since then ive gone in and fixed the texture so it doesnt look so velvety - I think its an improvement, let me know what you think.
    As for more gore and blood? I thought about it, but it really would obscure the detail of the creature and I made a conscious decision not to put more in, as well as a shadow on the wall, since the light source is single and from above.
    Im really excited you got chills though! I work hard for reactions like that.

All the best and keep knockin em dead with the work.

Quote Originally Posted by miycko View Post
    awesome painting's, both of them, of the two the first one's the gets me the most. all the dark shadows, the way you rendered the egg, even small details like those moths or whatever they are flying around & on the walls. the trash bag looks really great in the second image, what the heck everything's great. i find it hard to draw horror scenes, maybe i'll try something when the contest's over. thanks for the inspiration
    And thank you for the kind words and wonderful compliments, and especially for your time.
    Yeah, horror can be a challenge, which is why I like it so much - among other reasons. You always walk a fine line between producing goofy fun-house sillyness and hopefully tapping into something truely chilling. Body language and expression are front and center in horror, things I love to try and capture in art.

All the best to you!

Quote Originally Posted by hueyyeng View Post
    You second piece looks great, Cryptcrawler. The graffiti looks more better now but I believe with much more practice, you can make a really believable textures for it. Keep it up and I really respect your passion in pushing one self.

Now back to work for my second entry piece.
    Thanks very much hueyyeng!
    I do love - and thrive - on pushing myself, I want to know my limits.
    I know im going to fall down, its getting back up and trying a different direction that im more concerned with exploring.

All the best to you and best of luck in the contest!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing to say but… P-E-R-F-E-C-T
    But the first one is better. It seems, you have spent more time on that one…
    Keep on the good work...

55. The Following User Says Thank You to st.s For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3