We are the first to hatch...(UPDATED: Second Submission pg 2) - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 76

Thread: We are the first to hatch...(UPDATED: Second Submission pg 2)

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    287
    Thanks
    972
    Thanked 503 Times in 63 Posts
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonChilD View Post
    well ,what to say?it's killer good
    if you enter this competition ,we are all doomed!!!
    Nonsense!
    I fully expect one of the big boys or girls who hasnt posted thier work here and just sent it in to compete will casually blow us all out of the water while we were sleeping.
    Im very glad you like it though, thanks for taking the time to comment.


    Quote Originally Posted by aaro_n View Post
    guess we have a winner!
    I keep catching new things every time i stare The bounce light..alright imma calm down. This eliminates the need of coffee in the morning, thank you much sir
    This is more nonsense!
    There will never, ever be anything that even remotely compares to coffee in the morning...but im glad you like it, and I really appreciate you saying so =)

    Y'know most people only look at something for 15 seconds at the max if they really like something, the usual work gets 3-4 seconds. Getting people to stare is the holy grail, this compliment really meant a lot to me aaro_n, thank you.

    All the best to you

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #32
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St Sebastien de Morsent
    Posts
    408
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Wish you the best Man;
    As always it is very good!

    Pure nigthmare!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Riddick For This Useful Post:


  5. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 26 Times in 6 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Wow..this looks almost like a screenshot from a horror game on a next-gen console. Great work, and your execution blows my mind off! It's also interesting how you lead the audience's eye around the picture, while keeping what isn't the main focus still so sharply and beautifully rendered.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to calyx For This Useful Post:


  7. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    This image didn't help me sleep last night. It's brilliant work though.

    Would love to see some wip or tutorials from you, I just don't understand how this is done in Photoshop.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Leighton For This Useful Post:


  9. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    paris
    Posts
    243
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 63 Times in 24 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    yeah,i second that , a wip would be awesome...
    go CC go!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to MoonChilD For This Useful Post:


  11. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Impressive work,congratulation!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to diissar For This Useful Post:


  13. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    287
    Thanks
    972
    Thanked 503 Times in 63 Posts
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Hey all!

    I guess I couldnt resist, the topic is just TOO GOOD.
    Whoever came up with it is a genius, my brain has been on fire with ideas since I saw the contest.

    Anyway, heres the new submission.
    Theres no way this will win, its too visceral I think.


    I hope you guys dig it.
    Completed from sketch to finish in Photoshop 7.

    Kindly view it fullscreen on a black background.

    [UPDATED: fixed wall texture beneath grafitti to be more believable]


    Title: In the shadows of the mundane...




    We are the first to hatch...(UPDATED: Second Submission pg 2)

    Last edited by Cryptcrawler; July 17th, 2009 at 08:06 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cryptcrawler For This Useful Post:


  15. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    paris
    Posts
    243
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 63 Times in 24 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    when will we see a WIP of some sort?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to MoonChilD For This Useful Post:


  17. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    nice update,i still prefer your first image,the mood and colors are better in my opinion

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to diissar For This Useful Post:


  19. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    39
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 36 Times in 14 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Morisse
    A great image, so well done. To make the process seem so effortless that is the hard part.

    Thanks Michael, im glad you dig it.
    You know I dunno if ive ever looked at anyones work and thought "it seems so effortless", I guess its because that art has always been all about blood, sweat, tears and confrontation for me - and thats just how I like it, its good for the soul.

    I like to fight with things and then see what happens, see who's left standing and see whats lurking around down there.

    Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!
    I just wanted to clarify that I don't think there is anything "effortless" about your work, I am a big fan and I probably expressed it wrong.

    What I was trying to say is that when someone like yourself has worked and struggled extremely hard, they get to a level of expertise and control where they can make images that transcend all the problems, and become believable world of their own. Not held back by lack of drawing skill or painting ability.

    Like when you listen to a great guitarist, you know how difficult and how much practice it takes, but if they are good you just hear great music.

    I know that you put tremendous effort into your work
    , so much so that I just see a great image.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Morisse For This Useful Post:


  21. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    287
    Thanks
    972
    Thanked 503 Times in 63 Posts
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
    Wish you the best Man;
    As always it is very good!

    Pure nigthmare!
    Ohh good, thats what I like to hear!
    Thanks buddy!

    Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Wow..this looks almost like a screenshot from a horror game on a next-gen console. Great work, and your execution blows my mind off! It's also interesting how you lead the audience's eye around the picture, while keeping what isn't the main focus still so sharply and beautifully rendered.
    Thank you very much calyx, this means a lot to me.
    I really try and shoot for that look: video games, movies etc and I work long and hard on these.
    Thanks very much for the kind and flattering compliments!

    Quote Originally Posted by Leighton View Post
    This image didn't help me sleep last night. It's brilliant work though.

    Would love to see some wip or tutorials from you, I just don't understand how this is done in Photoshop.
    There isnt a whole lot to understand, really.
    Its done in photoshop using a lot of time and a willingness to work at 1200% magification - on a pixel by pixel basis - to tighten things up, if need be.
    These take me a lot of time; usually in the nieghborhood of 8+ hours a day for about 3-4 days, so keeping a WIP file is really cluttering, distractive and impractical for me.

    A video tutorial is in the worls, which will be a much more hands-free way I can show process in a meaningful and useful way for others.

    I very much appreciate your kind words and wonderful compliments!



    Quote Originally Posted by MoonChilD View Post
    yeah,i second that , a wip would be awesome...
    go CC go!
    One will definately be in the works soon, a video tutorial.

    Quote Originally Posted by diissar View Post
    Impressive work,congratulation!
    Im thrilled ya think so.
    Thanks so much!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  22. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    289
    Thanks
    101
    Thanked 87 Times in 63 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Gosh CryptCrawler. You certainly have a way with textures and lighting. Yep, it is rather 'visceral', but that's much more mainstream and acceptable than it used to be so don't write your chances off straight away. Who knows what the final criteria for picking a winner may be.
    Yet, I too suspect that a certain amount of fence sitting may have to be involved when you look at the list of great sponsors - whom I am very grateful to for their support of such an event, whoever and whatever their decisions may lead to. Their money - their call. It's how the world works. We all gain just by taking part, as has been said many times by many peope before, and it's still a truism.

    __________________________________________________ __________

    Nick Harris illustration http://nickillus.com/ SKETCHBOOK GALLERY
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickillus For This Useful Post:


  24. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    200
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 48 Times in 42 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Please make sure that video tutorial gets announced somewhere when it's done ^_^ I think it would be very usefull ^_^

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitten Poker For This Useful Post:


  26. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    75
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    love the lighting a lot

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Bdbros For This Useful Post:


  28. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    287
    Thanks
    972
    Thanked 503 Times in 63 Posts
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by diissar View Post
    nice update,i still prefer your first image,the mood and colors are better in my opinion
    Thanks diissar! I think your absolutely right, but I figured why not; I have a few days before this new contract and this idea developed much more fluidly than the others I was messing with.
    I appreciate the compliments and glad you like the work!

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morisse View Post
    Quote:


    I just wanted to clarify that I don't think there is anything "effortless" about your work, I am a big fan and I probably expressed it wrong.

    What I was trying to say is that when someone like yourself has worked and struggled extremely hard, they get to a level of expertise and control where they can make images that transcend all the problems, and become believable world of their own. Not held back by lack of drawing skill or painting ability.

    Like when you listen to a great guitarist, you know how difficult and how much practice it takes, but if they are good you just hear great music.

    I know that you put tremendous effort into your work
    , so much so that I just see a great image.
    You know comments like these really mean a lot to me and make a difference to me. I have definately worked really hard to build what little skills I have, and to know that ive succeeded in creating an immersive experience for you really makes all the toil and ballbusting worth it; its the exact reaction that I work so hard for.
    Your compliments and approval mean a lot more to me than you may think. When someone tells me thier a "fan" of my work, I take it pretty seriously.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickillus View Post
    Gosh CryptCrawler. You certainly have a way with textures and lighting. Yep, it is rather 'visceral', but that's much more mainstream and acceptable than it used to be so don't write your chances off straight away. Who knows what the final criteria for picking a winner may be.
    Yet, I too suspect that a certain amount of fence sitting may have to be involved when you look at the list of great sponsors - whom I am very grateful to for their support of such an event, whoever and whatever their decisions may lead to. Their money - their call. It's how the world works. We all gain just by taking part, as has been said many times by many peope before, and it's still a truism.
    It really is.
    Im honestly just grateful that I had the opportunity to take part in the contest, its a great, great topic to riff on and I got really lucky by having some free time come my way for once - so either way, I get to win.

    Like you said; thier money, thier call - I dont have a problem with that in the slightest and they have to choose whats going to suit their product the most and provide the widest appeal.
    Im a pure capitalist at heart: sink or swim, the most relevant work should win and it should help push thier product.
    Horror - while more accepted these days - still is a left of center genre and not as likely to get picked, at least I dont think its as likely; but that doesnt factor into what my heart tells me to create.
    Like I said; sink or swim - but some of us like to lurk around in the bottom, in the darkness.

    Thanks for your compliments, I appreciate them Nick.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Poker View Post
    Please make sure that video tutorial gets announced somewhere when it's done ^_^ I think it would be very usefull ^_^
    I promise I will. Thanks very much for your interest.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bdbros View Post
    love the lighting a lot
    Thanks! Its probably my favorite aspect of illustration.

    Thanks for the great comments, all - take care!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  29. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    752
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 85 Times in 34 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Love your first submission. They're both technically superb but the first is a lot more interesting. Great works!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Boxer For This Useful Post:


  31. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,531
    Thanks
    104
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Yep, you're a master of texture all right. Detail work, if combined with solid ability, always pays off and it's motivating to see someone take it to the next level, as it were. Sounds like you're a pretty fast worker too, only a few days for something like that would be beyond me, I think.

    I wouldn't worry too much about the subject matter for the cover (you're not, I know). I think what might happen is that the winner will go on the text-free subscriber-only cover, which is what happened to mine on a previous comp, and therefore the issue of potential buyers being put off due to the lack of a semi-naked buxom wench is avoided. Still, I don't know what the plans are this time so I might be talking out of my ass, not for the first time either.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:


  33. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Salem Oregon
    Posts
    101
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    you are an incredible artist. I really like your work and would love to see a video of your whole process.

    I do have a slight critique for the second entry, i think the back wall with the graffiti is not currently right... it looks flat somehow...

    i dont really know how or why, its just how it looks to me. If you see it great if you think i am nuts then i understand that too, either way, both entries are far and away two of my favorites in this contest.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to Bhrandon For This Useful Post:


  35. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Plymouth, Devon
    Posts
    613
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 94 Times in 77 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    WOW the egg looks so realistic its frightening!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to Me,Myself & Me again For This Useful Post:


  37. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    764
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 106 Times in 32 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Oh, wow. That is just... wow. This gives me chills without question. Awesome as usual! Some areas I think might need some shadow love, like maybe a shadow of the creature on the wall... it can be subtle, but I think it would help break that somewhat digital-y feel that it has a little bit now. I would also love to see a bit more drippiness and slick sheen.

    I think the first image is still my fav, but this one rocks the town as well.

    Wicked!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  38. The Following User Says Thank You to Muttonhead For This Useful Post:


  39. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lusaka, Zambia. Willing to relocate to anywhere in the world.
    Posts
    1,389
    Thanks
    348
    Thanked 594 Times in 591 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    awesome painting's, both of them, of the two the first one's the gets me the most. all the dark shadows, the way you rendered the egg, even small details like those moths or whatever they are flying around & on the walls. the trash bag looks really great in the second image, what the heck everything's great. i find it hard to draw horror scenes, maybe i'll try something when the contest's over. thanks for the inspiration

    DRAW UNTILL IT HURTS
    AND THEN DRAW SOME MORE

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  40. The Following User Says Thank You to miycko For This Useful Post:


  41. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    287
    Thanks
    972
    Thanked 503 Times in 63 Posts
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cognition.sb View Post
    Love your first submission. They're both technically superb but the first is a lot more interesting. Great works!
    Thank you very much cognition!
    I think your right, the first one has more impact, the second doesnt have that oomph, but its ok - you just cant win em all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    Yep, you're a master of texture all right. Detail work, if combined with solid ability, always pays off and it's motivating to see someone take it to the next level, as it were. Sounds like you're a pretty fast worker too, only a few days for something like that would be beyond me, I think.

    I wouldn't worry too much about the subject matter for the cover (you're not, I know). I think what might happen is that the winner will go on the text-free subscriber-only cover, which is what happened to mine on a previous comp, and therefore the issue of potential buyers being put off due to the lack of a semi-naked buxom wench is avoided. Still, I don't know what the plans are this time so I might be talking out of my ass, not for the first time either.
    Hey, weve all talked out our backsides at one point or another.
    I appreciate your compliments a lot, Baron.
    I dont think ive mastered texture, but to know ive motivated another artist, and a skilled one at that, is whats important to me. You would be surprised what you could do if you decided to really, really push yourself - and I mean make it hurt.
    For whatever reason, I need to feel that; which is why I thrive on deadline pressures I suppose, the fight to produce your best despite not enough time to do it in always seems to be a satisfying challenge for me.

    Thanks for your time.



    Quote Originally Posted by Bhrandon View Post
    you are an incredible artist. I really like your work and would love to see a video of your whole process.

    I do have a slight critique for the second entry, i think the back wall with the graffiti is not currently right... it looks flat somehow...

    i dont really know how or why, its just how it looks to me. If you see it great if you think i am nuts then i understand that too, either way, both entries are far and away two of my favorites in this contest.
    Your right on the money, Bhrandon. The magnificient El Coro said the same thing - the wall looked buttery before, like the graffitti was floating on it. I just posted an update with a fix, id like to know if you think it looks better, I think its an improvement.

    I appreciate your keen eye. A video tutrorial is in the works, thanks for the interest!


    Thanks to all for your time!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  42. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    680
    Thanks
    100
    Thanked 243 Times in 229 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    You second piece looks great, Cryptcrawler. The graffiti looks more better now but I believe with much more practice, you can make a really believable textures for it. Keep it up and I really respect your passion in pushing one self.

    Now back to work for my second entry piece.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  43. The Following User Says Thank You to Huey Yeng For This Useful Post:


  44. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Milano, Genova, Paris, Bari next hope London or Montrčal.
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Whoa thie piece it's my favourite! Great atmosphere, color, light and simple idea!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  45. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve99 For This Useful Post:


  46. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sofia
    Posts
    610
    Thanks
    83
    Thanked 124 Times in 104 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Nice, love it!


    My Sketchb00k regular updates
    -= i am looking for work =-
    DeviantArt . CGhub gallery . www.artofinca.com . Blog
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  47. The Following User Says Thank You to Artofinca For This Useful Post:


  48. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    296
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 41 Times in 38 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    uh, I know this is kinda odd, but, I can never see the actual pics. User error?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  49. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    stockholm, sweden
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 46 Times in 11 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    awesome! lighting and textures seems just perfect! and i really love the atmosphere! impressive and inspiring! thanks!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  50. The Following User Says Thank You to rickardwestman For This Useful Post:


  51. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    906
    Thanks
    574
    Thanked 235 Times in 138 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    No crits from me. Both pics rock! I love the crispness of the second one and the creepy angle of the first. Both have a wealth of textured details which I love.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  52. The Following User Says Thank You to zimfin For This Useful Post:


  53. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    287
    Thanks
    972
    Thanked 503 Times in 63 Posts
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Me,Myself & Me again View Post
    WOW the egg looks so realistic its frightening!

    Thanks!
    Thats exactly what I was shooting for!
    I appreciate the compliments.

    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonhead View Post
    Oh, wow. That is just... wow. This gives me chills without question. Awesome as usual! Some areas I think might need some shadow love, like maybe a shadow of the creature on the wall... it can be subtle, but I think it would help break that somewhat digital-y feel that it has a little bit now. I would also love to see a bit more drippiness and slick sheen.

    I think the first image is still my fav, but this one rocks the town as well.

    Wicked!
    I think the first one is stronger as well, Mutton.
    Y'know your right about the back wall, since then ive gone in and fixed the texture so it doesnt look so velvety - I think its an improvement, let me know what you think.
    As for more gore and blood? I thought about it, but it really would obscure the detail of the creature and I made a conscious decision not to put more in, as well as a shadow on the wall, since the light source is single and from above.
    Im really excited you got chills though! I work hard for reactions like that.

    All the best and keep knockin em dead with the work.

    Quote Originally Posted by miycko View Post
    awesome painting's, both of them, of the two the first one's the gets me the most. all the dark shadows, the way you rendered the egg, even small details like those moths or whatever they are flying around & on the walls. the trash bag looks really great in the second image, what the heck everything's great. i find it hard to draw horror scenes, maybe i'll try something when the contest's over. thanks for the inspiration
    And thank you for the kind words and wonderful compliments, and especially for your time.
    Yeah, horror can be a challenge, which is why I like it so much - among other reasons. You always walk a fine line between producing goofy fun-house sillyness and hopefully tapping into something truely chilling. Body language and expression are front and center in horror, things I love to try and capture in art.

    All the best to you!

    Quote Originally Posted by hueyyeng View Post
    You second piece looks great, Cryptcrawler. The graffiti looks more better now but I believe with much more practice, you can make a really believable textures for it. Keep it up and I really respect your passion in pushing one self.

    Now back to work for my second entry piece.
    Thanks very much hueyyeng!
    I do love - and thrive - on pushing myself, I want to know my limits.
    I know im going to fall down, its getting back up and trying a different direction that im more concerned with exploring.

    All the best to you and best of luck in the contest!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  54. #60
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 73 Times in 28 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Nothing to say but… P-E-R-F-E-C-T
    But the first one is better. It seems, you have spent more time on that one…
    Keep on the good work...

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  55. The Following User Says Thank You to st.s For This Useful Post:


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •