Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: my sketchbook

Thanks

my sketchbook

so, trying to contribute more to the boards, as I have been an avid stalker.

I started a life drawing workshop and a portrait painting workshop a few weeks ago an I will be posting the work here! It's great to be drawing from life two days a week!

I'm trying to increase my speed while keeping the drawing accurate and sensitive. Most of these are 5 to 20 minutes. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

zhanglu/jason manley portrait tutorial

just recently watched the zhanglu/manley female portrait tutorial...i highly recommend it to anyone interested in either traditional portraiture or character design. It has something to offer for the beginner as well as the advanced artist. This along with my life drawing/portrait workshops has been very helpful! It couldn't have come at a better time. In it, he challenges you to do at least 100 quick head studies. This represents the beginning of my attempt to do that...very inspiring tutorial!

All done from observation...more to come!

Thanks

more sketching

some more sketching. head studies from life... the image of the three children is from reference
    Last edited by the conjurer; July 7th, 2009 at 10:45 PM. Reason: typing

Thanks
    Hello! What a great start to your sketchbook. The first couple life drawings particularly grabbed me--looking forward to seeing what you do in classes to come. The observational life sketches are coming along well, too, but the proportions of some of your heads are a tiny bit off which could be something to watch out for.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 254 Posts
    really great seeing you post on here.

as for advice, i think blocking in shapes would be very beneficial to you.

It's obvious that you are measuring out the forms from life, but I don't think you are taking the time to think about the shapes as forms, but are mostly just trying to get the best contours you can; It's really noticeable on the heads because you style seems to loose itself and you tend to revert to using what you "think is right" more than what is.

your first two figures are really great though! keep it up

Thanks
    thank you davi and courtyard for checking out my work! You are absolutely right about my handling of heads and it is something that I have struggled with- I will definitely keep working on that. And you're right I usually get caught up in the contours, leaving little time to study the values that sculpt the forms.

Hopefully this will improve by the end of the workshop- thanks again for the feedback!

Thanks

couple more drawerings

a couple of the more successful drawings from the past couple of figure drawing sessions. Once again, I spent so much time measuring and looking at contours, I really didn't get to describing all of the forms- except for the first one which was a 35 minute drawing.

I am very concerned with the drawing feeling sensitive and having nice line weights. Did I mention I'm obsessed with line? Also have some monster drawings but I gotta get nice photos of them, since they are too big to scan.

Thanks

some more coffee shop studies and a little bridgeman

so...drawing strangers makes me feel very awkward...but I do my best, here are a few more quick studies. also some bridgeman studies
    Last edited by the conjurer; July 29th, 2009 at 05:50 PM.

Thanks

akecheta

a character i was developing. i recently got some really good feedback on this guy at the master critique...mr. jon foster and mr. carl dobsky are some very wise folks!

Thanks

more character studies

some studies for the hurakan challenge over at artorder

Thanks

some more portrait sketches

some studies from national geographic and old-picture.com- a really great website for great black and white historical portraits.
    good references for studies!

the last page is a contour of my cat which is really foggy.
    Last edited by the conjurer; November 13th, 2009 at 12:14 AM. Reason: forgot something

Thanks

head of lokardo

file:///D:/work/ATYAAAD2RCBimYcoJF9qy6GX118rJ-EDSL-1NyVM2EYsrJiif3w7ymNkqEDg8yPJuXMN6gJ3Pp3k47oerGNcP fJdUT0EAJtU9VDAHinmuZS6Oe-MqzNjJMbcMr0X2w.jpg

Thanks
    hmmm, not sure why you posted this here in my thread...

Thanks
    Nice work, keep it coming!

Thanks
    I am very concerned with the drawing feeling sensitive and having nice line weights. Your collection is wonderful its very close to original life. Keep doing good work

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast