Advice on a background layout.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Advice on a background layout.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Advice on a background layout.

Hello all! I've started working on a short film and I'm looking for some critique on this background layout. The character was drawn there for scale.
    Know that the colors are only a hopeful guess. The final look will be traditional, not digital. The colors here are how I hope the finals will turn out.
    The things I'm most concerned about are:
    The center (yellow) window reading as open, and a light being on, implying there's someone there. ( a later shot closes in on the window, to further imply this)
    The selective coloring making the eye notice what it's supposed to (the window, the character, the green door, the vespa is important to the last shot)
    The red vespa being too distracting. ( i hope not, i like that red!)

For this scene, the character is walking down the sidewalk to the house with the green door.

btw, I want to start an ongoing thread to post work and receive critique specifically for this film project, where do you think would be the best place, sketchbooks?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Katezila; July 7th, 2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Lav is offline Student Animationfilm Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hai kitezila!
    Don't know if i'll be much help here but i'll try anyway
    Is it necessary that you keep that perspective for your animation? Because it's a bit dull. A different perspective could create a more interesting and dynamic effect.
    I think the way it's drawn is cute but it could also use a bit more rich/deeper colors imo. For example, the open window doesnt pop out because it's the same as the your walls, and if the door is that important i would use a stronger green.
    For the best place to post this, i'm honestly not really sure myself, i always doubt it myself where to post my projects. But if you want many people to see it you could post a link to it in your sig
    Good luck with it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lav View Post
    hai kitezila!
    Don't know if i'll be much help here but i'll try anyway
    Is it necessary that you keep that perspective for your animation? Because it's a bit dull. A different perspective could create a more interesting and dynamic effect.
    I think the way it's drawn is cute but it could also use a bit more rich/deeper colors imo. For example, the open window doesnt pop out because it's the same as the your walls, and if the door is that important i would use a stronger green.
    For the best place to post this, i'm honestly not really sure myself, i always doubt it myself where to post my projects. But if you want many people to see it you could post a link to it in your sig
    Good luck with it
    Hi Lav! Thanks!
    Mmm yeah I've thought about spicing up the angle, maybe a lower, from teh sidewalk looking down the street-ish deal, but when I did the thumbnail, the feeling just felt so different. This is the opening shot, and its a quiet, simple little film. I wanted the opening shot to reflect that.
    The colors are all a lot of guessing for me. The final is going to be done in tissue and other translucent papers on acetate. All that white is transparency. I'm trying to be careful about anything to bold, since the character most certainly should be your focus. I'll play around with that door though.
    I still don't know what to do for that window. I'm thinking about just making it white.

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there!
    I like the feeling of this frame, the colours make it look like a warm summer day (which I hope is what you were going for).
    The Door definitely needs a bolder colour, mybe just saturating the greem more/making it darker? Also you could draw some curtains in the open window or mybe show some blue glass on the top to make it look like its been pushed up.

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's a heck of a lot of white space in there right now. I'm not sure the 'side scroller' perspective is doing you any favors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Mini Goth about there being a lot of white. I think you need more variety of values to make it readable. That angle might be the right one for that scene but you will need more exotic ones later on. However, did you storyboard the whole movie or are you jumping in depth at the first scene? You really should define all your general angles before doing final layouts.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.