Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: (character) Animation demo reel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

(character) Animation demo reel

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jgchan For This Useful Post:

cout<mecha is offline animation.visualization.c ollaboration Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The animation here although it has a sense of timing to it, all seems to elicit the same feel it. You will need to create many different emotion from the different characters you create. Go back to your animation principles and focus on the contrasts between the techniques you are learning. Also try concepts and genres that you would not normally turn to. By all means keep practicing and observing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cout View Post
    The animation here although it has a sense of timing to it, all seems to elicit the same feel it. You will need to create many different emotion from the different characters you create. Go back to your animation principles and focus on the contrasts between the techniques you are learning. Also try concepts and genres that you would not normally turn to. By all means keep practicing and observing!
    Call me thick but I have no idea what you're trying to say (it could be the sleep deprivation, but goodness knows I'm not a smart man); please elaborate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahahaha
    -The trumpet was cool.
    -The 3D was nice ... nice jelly effect.
    -Man and bunny, smooth. [noob eyes though]
    -Tree and bird. tehehehe.
    -Clay is brilliant. More frames though, no? Or is that standard #s?

uhmmmm, more info please. Graduated/Freelancing what and whats?

Thanks for sharing JC.

/e

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The "clay" one had a limited amount of frames (30 fps on 2s) because I made the mistake of making the armature out of silly putty.

So that melting stuff? Totally unplanned. My armature began to fall apart (melted under the hot lights) when I was animating the walk and I rolled with it.

Other info: I'm currently a student at UMass Amherst in the Art (animation) Program, heading into my senior year (and actually starting on my BFA thesis right now because producing a 5 minute hand drawn/cg cartoon by myself in 2 semesters is close to insane. I have a bunch of concept sketches on my production blog . I can tell you right now that the story is probably going to be about a kid who is a cross between Mickey Mouse and MacGuyver with a bit of Don Quixote tossed in)

The media used in there are Maya, Flash, After Effects, cutout, silly putty + wire, and good ol' fashioned 12 field animation paper + pencil/pen, but the way I see it, animation is animation no matter what media (I strive for silliness no matter how I do it)

Currently I'm the character animator for Wayang Outpost, an experimental SAT math tutoring system being developed primarily at my school: http://althea.cs.umass.edu/wayang/wayangindex.html

As far as "Noob Eyes" go, I tend to go along the lines of "everyone is right"-- Unless you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, you're already qualified to judge cartoons. I can't count the number of times I've shown friends who have no idea how this stuff is done only to have them point out that ________ moves too slow or _______ doesn't read too well (and I'll go back and realize that they're right)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the green 3D character. animation very fluid. digging spanner boy too!

generally you seem to be going for a cartoony rhythm: hold - fast move - hold - fast move..., which is cool, but i think the fast motions are too fast in places. consider slowing those down so viewer actually has time to read the action, and to take in those awesome fluid overlaps that you work so hard to achieve!

hope helpful!

Sketchbook: My epic journey from suck to awesome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work so far,

the 2d animated ball with legs and two eyes that walks...when its Left foot (right of us) comes over to take the step he doesnt shift his weight OR his hips with it. Get the basic Human walk cycle before going onto manipulating other creatures and shapes.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.