Newborn - Gas Mask romance, etc.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Newborn - Gas Mask romance, etc.

Hey everybody, I'm new here but I'm really looking forward to getting involved in the community. I've been aware of this place for a while, and it's a shame it took this long for me to join, but when my brother told me about the latest contest, I knew I couldn't delay myself any longer.

So though I've been juggling a few ideas specifically for the contest, the image I'm leaning towards right now is an older sketch, but one I thought I could apply to the 'Newborn' premise (despite it being done for my own enjoyment a while ago.)

It's basically a man on his knees trying to revive a woman in his arms using his gas mask. I haven't really done anything to the woman's face - should she be wearing a mask? No mask? - but I've been playing around with the background a bit and I'm not sure if I like the urban buildings mixed in with the natural landscape. If I'm to have both, I definitely want some man-made structures ON the mountains and not just in the background a part of their own world... I think I'm just intimidated by architecture. Feedback and constructive criticism is of course welcomed. Thanks very much!

Last edited by Errol Partridge; July 8th, 2009 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Adding images
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another quick sketch/idea:

Some weird, biomechanical woman who is being controlled from the inside by the baby in her Matrix-esque womb.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm new as well, so I don't know how much I can help.

First off, very creative, I like your style.

In regards to the mask thing, I think it's up to you. If there's a story behind it, then you should decide based on that. Masked man reviving human woman or whatever... As for the architecture, I'd say jump. Things that scare you will only hold you back unless you try to conquer them. Just experiment and explore your options. Goodluck.

Graphic Designer - Advertising - Wanting into the gaming world.
    Blog: (Abandoned) - http://smalier.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to know there's another new guy here besides me - thanks for the kind words and encouragement! I really appreciate it. I've decided to run with the buildings/architecture in the background. Here's the latest progress...

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい! Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,052 Times in 943 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there.

It is a bit hard to tell that this is a gas mask....
    It looks more like some fetish rubber mask to me. You forgot the gas filter.
    But even if you add a filter this still will not make much sense as all they do is exchanging carbon dioxide. The hose connects his mouth to hers instead with some oxygen supply.

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well if as a sex act it would make sense to exchange carbon dioxide because you would get high... kind of like asphyxiation or something....

but besides that, the colors are an odd combination. I mean i realize its a fantasy scifi piece but color theory should still apply.
    I am not slamming you, just putting in my two cents. It is your world and your idea and you have ultimate control. Just something for you to think about.

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい! Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,052 Times in 943 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhrandon View Post
    but besides that, the colors are an odd combination. I mean i realize its a fantasy scifi piece but color theory should still apply.
    I am not slamming you, just putting in my two cents. It is your world and your idea and you have ultimate control. Just something for you to think about.
    the colors are a side effect of the carbon dioxide

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,377 Times in 3,598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like the colours. Watch the feet, they wouldn't be so pointed if she was unconscious.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments, guys! I'm a bit on the fence about the colors myself to be honest. I think the reason I went with something strikingly colorful and vibrant was to contrast the inherently fetish-y look of the characters. As if to ask "What the hell are these weirdos doing in a Disney-esque world?" I plan on toning it down slightly and conveying some kind of pollution in the city, to suggest a need to get away from the urban environment. Seems like a good compromise, no?

As far as the masks are concerned, I have mixed feelings on those, too. When I first drew it, I just wanted it look cool - I wasn't thinking about function. Now I'm considering having a more overt device maybe going directly into the woman somehow to make things clearer. I'm not sure yet.

However, I'm intrigued by the idea of exchanging CO2 and the results of that...

I'm thinking of eliminating the gas exchange idea altogether and clinging more to the escape from pollution thing. And though I'm tempted to start an entirely different background, it's a little late in the game, and there's sure to be SOMETHING good that can be taken from what's there so far.

Lastly, I made the feet pointed to make it look like her boots had the built-in shape of heels (going back to the fetish-y look of the characters), but even still, gravity would have more of a bearing.

I'd like to make some more progress tonight keeping all this feedback in mind, but until then, if anyone has some thoughts on what definitive direction I should go in, please feel free to share.

Last edited by Errol Partridge; July 8th, 2009 at 04:12 PM. Reason: grammar

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.