Sketchbook: Brian Leleux's Sketchbook from '09[Update from school!] - Page 3

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Thanks
    I just wanted to say I'm sorry for the lack of updates, again. This quarter really is making me work hard, which I'm not necessarily complaining. I'll have some pictures up from all of my traditional school work, since I haven't really had any time to do any personal stuff. There will be some Color Theory projects, like a color wheel and Bezold effect painting, and some studies for Drawing II. I'm really excited for next quarter, which starts around the end of March, because I'm taking Life Drawing I!

Oh yeah, I forgot to say, I turned 19 on Monday.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey dude!

Congratz on turning 19!

Sorry for not commenting on your sketchbook... I usually dont post comments because Im to lazy but I have been checking your sketchbook out for time to time.
    And I must say you are doing great! Keep on studiying and keep up the good work!
    I hope to see a big environments update soon!

Thanks
    Hey Jockemon, thanks! Sorry that this isn't the big environment update you were looking for, but this isn't all of the work I planned on posting. I'll have to take more pictures and finish some sketches.

I also started a decent size acrylic landscape painting, but I'm trying to learn more about acrylics for landscapes(just been doing simple designs for classes), so it might take awhile.

Here's some oil pastel sphere drawings from imagination, used as preliminary work for my drawing 2 project. There's also a simple still-life preliminary b/w conte drawing on gray Canson paper and value scales using texture. 1 digital painting as well.

Attached Images Attached Images            

Thanks
    Here is some more stuff from school and another digital speedpainting. I'll have my final projects up soon and two oil paintings I did. I'm so in love with oils. I've never really tried them, except one failed attempt over my winter break. Now, I have a painting from a picture in a book and plein air at the beach.

In the order of school work posted:
    -Complimentary Bezold effect for Color Theory
    -Multiple optical mixing and pointillism exercises for like "saturated to dull" and "high/low value color" for Color Theory
    -First Color Theory project, painting the color wheel in a radial design with emphasis on the primaries. We had to paint them as they are, not as the tubes make them.
    -The most recent color theory project, after the optical mixing exercises we had to do a full picture using the technique.

Thanks
    Still haven't taken pictures of my oil plein air paintings, but here are a few digital sketches... cloud study from a picture by Brachna, a sketch using an "oil" brush by Viag(I changed it around though), and just something from my head.

Thanks
    hey nice bryan , thanks for using the brush

Thanks
    Thanks Viag! Thanks for making it too. It's really fun to use.

I'll have some figure drawings I'll try to post this weekend, along with some more digital stuff like a Sargent study, and my plein air paintings.

Thanks
    Finally got around to posting pictures of my oil paintings. I also have amazing news! I got three images accepted into Creo Magazine. I also have at least 5 images that will be displayed at the Savannah College of Art and Design's Game Developer's eXchange. One of which was used on the invitation and is printed/framed for the collection.

Talk about a big esteem booster.

Now, it's back to writing a speech outline on Plein Air painting...

GDX invite, oil painting using reference, plein air oil painting, and some digital sketches

Thanks
    I'm not dead. I've just been extremely busy. I'll have lots of stuff coming soon. I only have about 3 weeks left of my SCAD freshman year.

Thanks
    I don't have much time, but I figured I'd throw in some stuff I did awhile back. The last one is a wip. I'm trying to do more sci-fi/fantasy stuff to build up a portfolio for Magic: The Gathering.

Last edited by bLux; May 11th, 2010 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks
    Soooooo uninspired. I wanna do some color studies, but I have a guilty conscience saying I should be working on stuff geared towards my portfolio. When I try to do that, I feel bad because all of the sketches I do, after looking at some artists for sci-fi/fantasy inspiration, resemble the works that inspired me. This is a repeating circle that I've been dealing with for the past few weeks, along with being entertained elsewhere, like Magic: The Gathering and other games.

I did manage to get another color study done with the lasso tool, and I'll post two other sketches I did before. There's also a study from a master that I started, but I can't remember who the painter was and I lost the painting when I installed 7. For the last one, I'd like some help. I started it differently than my other paintings, and for that reason, I feel like it turned out alright. However, my idea(the stupid big yellow 'beam') is retarded. Does anyone know what I might be able to do instead? Oh, and one day I'll get my Life Drawing portfolio. I couldn't get it before I left Savannah and my teacher is supposed to keep it for me until September, except I'm not going back to Savannah for another year. Instead, I'll be doing online classes from Austin, TX. I was really proud of my oil pastel master copy of Sargent's Duran portrait, with my face and piercings.

Thanks
    The last couple batches here look awesome. Keep it up!

Thanks
    mpaquin: Thanks! I'm trying

...Still having problems with inspiration. Go figure.

I'll scan in my sketchbook for my daily figures/portraits I'm trying to do, except I stopped a few days ago. I'll get back into it, to keep it continuous is one of my goals I've printed out to try and reach while I'm living here in Austin.

I'm also working on static UDK scenes for my level design portfolio in the future. My Game Design classes start in September, but I'd rather learn myself. I think I bit off a little more than I can chew, because I have no idea how to model and I had hoped to model and texture certain items in my scene. I guess it'll just have to wait for the next scene

Thanks
    Hey, Thanks for dropping by my sketchbook You have some awesome studies here. Love the first one in your last post. It looks all vector, may I ask what program that was done with?

As for inspiration, try going to a place that you have never been to before, music, artists that admire the most. Or simply take some time out and watch some films you've never seen. I don't know what it is, but when I see films I have never seen, I see shots, camera angles, colour and mood that really get me going. Just a suggestion...Keep up the great work.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Pretty cool stuff my friend. Your eye for landscapes and environments is excellent. Keep up the environment practice, but don't neglect figure practice. You seem to have very little figure drawings, I'd like to see what you can do with the figure.

Check out my sketchbook: Draw or Die

Thanks
    Spire: Thanks! I'll definitely try out those ideas. I usually listen to instrumental/soundtracks a lot. Perhaps I should really focus on them more... as well as find new stuff! The first painting isn't vector actually, as was done in PS. It's a lasso sketch from reference. You take the freehand lasso tool and make selections, then fill them with solid colors. I normally do them fast with the autofill shortcut(alt+backspace), hence the messiness.

The Original [E]: Thanks. I would have had a lot more figure stuff, but I had to leave my Life Drawing class portfolio in Savannah, and now I have to wait another year or have my teacher send it- but she isn't very up to date with her emails. I would have a picture of my 30"x30"+ oil pastel copy of a Sargent portrait for my final, but that was in my portfolio. I've been meaning to catch back up on my daily figure drawings. I got carried away with portraits though

Here's a few older ones though. I was trying to do digital figure drawings. They're so much harder than traditional. Also, there's a WIP of a Levitan study, a crappy sketch, and a screenshot from the editor of UDK. I'm working on static scenes, instead of playable levels. Right now, everything is from Epic, but in the future, I'll use my own stuff when I learn how to make them.

Thanks
    Here's a quick study from Cornish or somebody. I forgot. I was messing around with ArtRage for an oil texture too. I kind of like it. I can upload it if anyone is interested.

Thanks
    Hi xbrianx, great sketchbook here! I see improvement on your environments. That b/w ones from #10 blew me away; can you tell me where you found that tutorial? Good, that you try some plein air studies like in #68, but I would suggest you to do many more of these. You need not do them with traditional, if you do not like oils: a laptop or your DS is a good choice as well. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by engelhardt View Post
    Hi xbrianx, great sketchbook here! I see improvement on your environments. That b/w ones from #10 blew me away; can you tell me where you found that tutorial? Good, that you try some plein air studies like in #68, but I would suggest you to do many more of these. You need not do them with traditional, if you do not like oils: a laptop or your DS is a good choice as well. Keep up the good work!
    Thanks for stopping by! Unfortunately, I can't recall where I found the tutorial. It's been awhile. It wasn't difficult though. I believe you just open up multiple images on the same canvas, desaturate them, and use the patch tool on one of the pictures. You make a selection on one picture, then the patch icon comes up(if I remember correctly), then you can drag it around over the other images and the selection changes as you move the cursor around. I really like oils though, which makes me want to go Plein Air paint more. I tried watercolors, but I just can't get the hang of them. I might try my laptop one day though!

Here's a wip and a piece I want to add to my portfolio for Magic: The Gathering. My goal is to do more(This one is for the plains, so I need to do swamp, mountain, island, and forest), with the similar theme like they follow for each set/block, and then arrange them all on the same background.

Thanks
    The uploader sucks. I wish there was an option to save preferences, like one for sketches, one for traditional stuff, etc. etc. I'm tired of having to go through the same stuff each time I upload.... or it not uploading at all. This is the second time I've done this post...

Trying to do some more "concept" type stuff, since my work isn't really geared towards a concept portfolio I guess. Here's some weapons. I'm pretty new to them, so I still have a lot of work to do. There's a light study too.

Whenever I find my USB cable for my camera, I'll upload pictures of some figure drawings, watercolor sketches(daily), and an oil painting from life. I'm gonna try to do a daily one of those as well. Hopefully it'll keep my interested longer than the daily figure thing did.

Thanks
    Once again, I apologize for the lack of work. I'm now dealing with a breakup after 11 months, moving back to Richmond, VA, and preparing for online classes for the first quarter of my sophomore year at SCAD. Oil paintings will be coming soon, cause I need to get rid of these canvases. I'm tired of carrying them everywhere I go!

Thanks
    Okay, I know I'm responding to a kind of old post, but I really like the landscape you posted Jun.8 (the one with the yellow beam that you didn't like). Personally, I think it works because the details are loose enough that it can be seen either as a landscape or as an abstract composition.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Thanks
    very grate environment drawings , colors are dancing

On And On , I Am Cursed To Live Cursed With Life Until I Have Done What Done What Must Be Done . . . I Am The Man Who Would Not Die .

Thanks
    Thank you, both of you guys! I haven't forgotten about this place, I promise! I've been really busy with school and life, and I just haven't felt like painting anything. Online classes were a bitch and I'm glad that I'll be moving down to Savannah into my own apartment right after Christmas. I've been really looking forward to starting the classes to my Game Design major. I've found that 3D work is really relaxing and have been trying to teach myself Maya the last few weeks. I have a few fluid animations I'm working on. I'm also working on a scene from scratch, but I'm learning about texture painting AS WELL as modeling in Maya.

Here is the link to a short playblast with high quality of a smoke animation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WyWGYImCuU

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.