Help on Construction and Line Control
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Help on Construction and Line Control

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Help on Construction and Line Control

Hey guys! I have been making a stronger effort to learn the fundamentals of art since I've neglected them for far too long. I used to draw a lot of manga styled images, but recently I have given those up because they are getting me nowhere. Now I am learning more realistic drawing from Loomis, Bridgeman and other artists and I hope to gain a better understanding so it is easier to draw from life.

This drawing shows my current skill level, so it is a good example to highlight some of the problems I have encountered so far. If you don't want to read all of the text below, basically I need a critique on my line control and construction, plus some guidance on how to go about improving these things. Any feedback would be great.

Here's a more in-depth description if you need more info about my situation...

I know I need to work on the proportions, anatomy, clothes and especially heads a lot more, but for now I am more concerned about the construction and line quality of this sketch and my art in general. My biggest concern right now is my lines. Although I try to draw long, fluid lines they end up being inaccurate and ugly, so I draw over them a lot and they turn out "sketchy" or "pecked". I have heard it is bad to draw lines this way and you should use long strokes as much as possible, but I am finding this difficult to do. As a result my drawing become messy and it is especially hard to draw detailed areas like the face. I also find it hard sometimes to draw the line exactly where I want it. I know where I want the line to go, but it is difficult to get it in the right place, so I try to sketch it in slowly. This causes the line to be shaky and it is especially a problem when drawing objects from life that require precise lines. How can I fix this problem and what exercises can I do to help strengthen my lines so they are not messy like this?

Another issue I have is construction. Although it is hard to see it in the upper body, I drew the construction lines with red pencil before drawing the details of the body. I don't know much anatomy yet, I'm wondering if learning basic anatomy right now would help or if I should just continue practicing drawing forms until I get good at them? Also what book would be good to start out with. I've started working through Drawing The Head & Hands by Loomis, but it is hard to draw convincing spheres with the cross in the middle. Is there a technique on getting better at those or do I just have to practice more until I get them right?

Last edited by hellfiresniper; February 6th, 2010 at 07:39 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "I don't know much anatomy yet, I'm wondering if learning basic anatomy right now would help or if I should just continue practicing drawing forms until I get good at them?"...

I do not think you should wait to start with anatomy studies. You would learn forms, light/shadows everything much faster if you start today. Start with the bones in the human body, continue to muscles and so on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Learning shapes and forms is useless if you never put them together to create something---start applying what you learned about shapes and forms through anatomy studies. Right now, don't worry about line quality, your lines are clear, what is more important is getting the proportions right since mistakes will distract the viewer from line quality. I had messy lines too, but part of that is a lack of confidence and knowledge in what you draw--once you've drilled the form into your head, you'll be able to complete it in long, tidy strokes.

What you have done here is created good forms to build a body on, but you didn't draw the body, and you jumped right into the clothes. so the clothes, especially the pants in this piece, are not convincing at all.

Some good books

Loomis--figure drawing for all its worth
    Burne Hogarth -- dynamic figure drawing
    George Bridgman -- Constructive anatomy

Those are the favorites in CA, but you have to find which works for you best.

"Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hala For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow k

anatomy first! there's no time to lose! details later remember...style and line control HAPPENS. anatomy knowledge is key and helps to develop it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.