Thanks

Question Help? Painter 8 now saying "insufficient disk space" for JPG

I have Painter 8 and Vista. It has been very well behaved until now.

But now, when in try to save a jpeg file, it says "Insufficient disk space."

I don't think that's really the problem, unless I am missing something. I've used disk clean up and the overall size of used filed has not gotten really larger. ALSO, I do not run into that when I try to save a JPEG in another program. Also, Painter does save files in otehr formats, like PSD.

Does anyone have any ideas?

One thing that HAS changed is because of a stupid bug in Adobe Photoshop Elements 5, I have had to turn on User management in Vista....HOWEVER, Corel Painter was saving files for a while after I did that. Also when I turn off User management, Painter still has this problem.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I have no idea if Vista is somehow causing this problem, yet occasionally with Painter I will run into the same problem when attempting to save a file when it has grown too large in size.

Try a couple of trial runs like this. First create a duplicate copy file of the one you are using in case something accidentally destroys the file, you will still have the original file. Check your file size in Painter by selecting resample image. If your file size is larger than a document size image 8.5" X 11" or 2550 X 3300 pixels attempt to resample to a size that is at maximum document settings.

Sometimes this will work for me, create a clone of the image under the File menu option and attempt to save the clone version in a jpg format. For a jpg you will not loose any layer set up since there are none for this format.

If that does not help try this if possible with Vista. I do not use Vista yet in XP there is a way to reset the virtual memory settings for paging. Increase the virtual memory settings to the maximum capacity.
    Last edited by Stephen Lo Piano; July 16th, 2009 at 10:39 AM.

Thanks

Thanks

I appreciate your reply.

I have narrowed down the problem to the "user Control" settings in Vista. If that is on, it doesn;t save jpegs. If I turn it off, it does.

I also have Photoshop Elements 5 on my computer, and in order to make that work, I have to have the user control on. So I have a devils choice -- Either use Photoshop or Painter, but not both.

I love software.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    To be very honest with you, saving the file as jpegs in Photoshop is more efficient. It has better calculations when dealing with compression. Painter doesn't have a good "Save for Web" option like PS does.

So you can still work with the two. Don't save them as JPGS either save the files as PSDs and bring them into PS or save them as BMPs or TIFF (if you want a single layer image). Then bring the Tiff file into PS and convert to a Save for Web option.

Jpegs are really made for presentation and web so you want the software that works most harmoniously with it, and that would be Photoshop.

You just want to get the color management going between the two.

Thanks
    The user control settings in Vista are something foreign to me. Never used Vista. My first answer here might be useful in some other future circumstance or problem.