anatomy dvd's
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: anatomy dvd's

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

anatomy dvd's

considering buying the structure of man series...

was wondering if anybody has any suggestions on what are the best dvd's to buy on artistic anatomy...?
    or even the best books?
    i like richter's a lot, but I am looking for something a little bit more 3D, with the figure in lots of different positions

any ideas?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I own TSOM series and it is great! but it takes a lot of determination to stick with it, but well worth it. The anatomy books I have are Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist, by Stephen Peck. and also Anatomy a Complete guide for the Artist, by Joseph Sheppard.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Structure of Man is....how to say it? oh yeah, it's horrible. There's no "revolutionary approach" like it claims, it's proportions and nothing but. "Divide this, divide that, take this measurement and put it over here...." seriously, you get the same instruction by going through any figure-drawing/anatomy book and using proportions. Heck, you could throw in graph paper or tracing-graph paper if, for some reason, you wanna get the same thing from Structure of Man, and for alot less money.

I can't believe that River Phoenix (yes I know it's Riven, but when ya call yourself "Riven Phoenix" you're askin' for someone to mock your name) is actually asking money for it, fifty bucks? geez even if it were like twenty or ten bucks, it'd still be stupid 'cause the instruction is...

1. nothing revolutionary like it claims to be
    2. horribly explained and so monotonous to the point of actually putting anyone to sleep
    3. missing important things on anatomy and form, and any important drawing technique
    and
    4. boring as hell

i caught the first few videos when they used to be free at youtube, and they were horrible. Think about it....what do you think is a more sane approach:

43 hours or so of redundant formulas
    or
    a few videos from Ten Minute Drawing Techniques and Famous Artists Course Anatomy Lessons (pdf link to the whoel chapter is there at the end of the post)

I really don't get the Structure of Man's popularity, there can't be that many people who actually like it. heck, if it were free then it'd still be crap. River isn't a horrible artist, but as a teacher... he's a total hack

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Besides TSOM, there are a couple other (expensive) options:

Vilppu's series of anatomy lectures. People speak quite fondly of him, but particularly of his drawing manual.

Robert Beverly Hale's anatomy lectures. They're old, poor quality recordings, and obscenely expensive ($800 for the whole set), but the information in them and his explanations of form are incredibly useful. The same information, though, you might be able to get from his books. I was fortunate enough to find these at my old school's library.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Zazerzs is offline ....bing me the bore worms Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i wound up getting TSOM just to check it out, its cheap enough so i though heh, lets see what this guy is up to.

I've only gotten through the 1st few and the information is fine and presented ok. He's a little boring, and agreed he does say divide this and divide that a little too much but hey that's proportions. If you don't like reading to get your information its not a bad deal.

Noahs right on about the other two.

I wish they would drop the cost of the Hale videos,it's a little absurd that they haven't. Best way to find it is in a school library of some kind.
    You can get alot of the info out of Hale's books, not all of it but a good amount.

for other books to round out your collection: Loomis(downloadable), Bridgman, Hale, Vanderpoel and Peck.

Bridgman for construction and form,
    Hale and Loomis for proportion and figure tips.
    Vanderpoel for surface shading and "other"
    and Peck so you have a more anatomical reference.

Goodluck

"Talent is a word found in the mouth of the lazy to dismiss the hard work of those who have achieved."
    Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook
    Interested in learning more about color? Read this!
    Fletcher:Color Control

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Forget the Structure of Man stuff. I totally agree with Noah Bradley. Glenn Vilppu IS an anatomy master. Period. His videos are available as downloads now. I would recommend getting his lecture on gesture if you're looking for help getting your figures started.

For a sample get out his YouTube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/vilppustore

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RogerAdams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to agree... Vilppu is great and extremely thorough

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And thank you Roger for letting me know Vilppu had dloadable vids...
    (I thought smartflix was the only way I could see them...)

Members who have read this thread: 1