Newborn - Swanmaker
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Newborn - Swanmaker

'Kay, summer idling on and not till now (well, yesterday) did I hear of this contest. Not that I'm experienced in these matters - I gave Dominance War a try but other projects kept coming in the way, and that's the full grand extent of my painting-contest experience. Anyhow, by the vagaries of mind, near enough at once I had an idea!

Okay, so, the concept is that this girl here has actually sculpted the swan she's holding, and a few other besides that'll lie littered around her, and by magical means is now... well, turning the sculpture alive. Might not go with this girl - my first plan was to have a more... aah... wild woman, though I derailed. So much for carefully planning everything before I go to business. Well, all can't become a Bouguereau... though I'd love to challenge myself to go in that direction, anyway.

So, well, the thought behind it all, then, has to do with... well. I read somewhere that black swans are sort of a symbol of things that are thought not to exist - till Australia was explored, swans were white, period - but all of the sudden, here they are. Next I thought I'd add in just a couple of, mm, failed or broken sculpture-"corpses" in the back just for eeriness. Which I realized was a bit interesting, what with artsy-making now and then being compared to birth-giving, and we all know the astronomical odds for us at all being around here in the 'verse, don't we? So maybe we're all a sort of black swans?

I expect to hammer away on anatomy for a long while before I go into refining it. I'm also worried that whatever idea I had for composition has somewhat deteriorated - so, I hope it'll all change quite a bit. Comments - duh - most welcome!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pfft. Ironing out the anatomy, giving the composition proper thought... yeeesh...

Bit o'a update.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you catched the whole light and color of a great painting. And because its still rough it gives me an impressionistic feeling.

I really like it and I want to see if you can keep it.

Photoshop I guess ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank-ees! I have been looking a lot at old, classical paintings lately, and if that looking has started to rub off on my doodling... well, that's just jolly, aint it just? The impressionistic part, though, I hope I'll shed in favour of a more realistic style. Hee hee. We'll see about that.

Oh yes, Photoshop all the way.

Anyway. Bit more done. You'd think I learn that it really is a time-saver to just plan it out properly from the start, but until I do, I'll just keep hammering them shoulder-regions till they work. Might just redo her quite a bit. Oh well, update.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Going to be a classic if you keep going at it Stefan. Like something out of Greek mythology.

__________________________________________________ __________

Nick Harris illustration http://nickillus.com/ SKETCHBOOK GALLERY
    __________________________________________________ __________

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Classic, eh? Hah! I wish... yes, really, I do wish!

So, I'm an easy one to influence. I hear "Greek", and Greek I draw. Well. Sort of. We're now no longer next to a lake, but on a mountain-top. (which aint oh-so obvious right now, but whatever) Soon enough, I figure, I'll start throwing in more polish there, along with - I plan - a handful of bracelets and sundry jewelry, and perhaps a bit'o pattern on the dress. And so forth. Just rambling, meep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'Nother little update. Will need to hammer out the hands and the foot, if there'll be one... but I think I'll start polishing soon enough.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 672 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, all can't become a Bouguereau... though I'd love to challenge myself to go in that direction, anyway.
    Stop pulling yourself down before you've even started. If it's that direction you want to go, then do it. It's either now, or never, really... and give yourself some rest. Being self-critique is a necessity to grow, but too much and you'll have a rough time.

The painting is looking great already. I enjoyed the lake, made my thoughts wander off to swan lake heh. Waiting to see you bring the next update!

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like how classic and beautiful your idea is. I wouldn't want to be a judge in this contest.

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい! Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,052 Times in 943 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the idea is good, tho i dont see the image is telling me what you wrote down.

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I must say that this one catched my attention at the beginning, while browsing topics. While it doesn't show at the first glance the idea of this contest (first thought/theme that comes to mind while looking at it: death, especially when it comes to the first wip), but the rendering, is like others said, very traditional and beautiful.
    Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.