Sketchbook: Kjesta's Excellent Art & Animation Adventures - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Kjesta's Excellent Art & Animation Adventures

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rotor, can't believe I haven't replied yet! Sorry, mate. And thanks for the comment, I'll certainly have to work on my strokes... They're kind of pitiful right now. They used to be nicer back when I regularly did work in A2 format, I need to work bigger formats again.

Here's a small update. A small ink/watercolour picture I did of my favourite dancer Mira Betz (gave it to her when I took a workshop with her, such an inspirational person!) and the pre-sketch - kind of proud of the minimalistic composition and that I captured her face and the emotion of her dance. Two doodles and a tiny still life of my pen box. Doofus that I am I took a pen out of my still-life and accidentally shifted all the pens around... Sigh. It's very noticable where I pantsed it because the set-up was altered. Still sort-of satisfied with it.

Attached Images Attached Images          

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 775 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I love that male portrait - the design, the features, and the pain-staking mark-making are all incredible. Keep posting!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're really patient with learning basics after basics. I know this is my doom, suggesting such things, but why not going ahead and try to draw some more complex scenes? So many people (me included) throw out paintings every day which are way beyond their skill and knowledge, most of them are not even close to be able to draw the stuff with pencil and paper you are able to in.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Swamp Thing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dierat, thank you! It never occured to me that it's particularly good or anything, but maybe now I'll finish it after all

Swamp Thing, that's actually one of my biggest hurdles to overcome, thanks for (metaphorically) whacking it around my ears. I get so caught up in the basics, never feeling good enough to tackle something bigger... Well, now I'm taking the Panels of the Week challenge to kick my butt into gear

I'm doing the "steampunk love story" challenge, about a young woman who falls in love with her own creation and, very pseudo-philosophically, herself. Can't go without a rejected male admirer either. I've done some crappy scribbles and made a thumbnail of the first page as well as a reaaaally rough model of Henrietta's workshop. You can see the rough script here. I'm learning a ton already, always wanted to do a comic but I never had a story. Now that I'm doing a script I'm feeling much more comfortable, my 15+ years of prose are coming in handy.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Time for some more comicking! These are the pencils and the almost-finished inking of the first page. Fun but tough and I really don't want to think about all those perspective errors... If I had more time to complete the challenge, I'd probably redo at least the first entire panel! Oh well, maybe some time later.

Critique is always welcome of course. (Oh and the composition in panel 1 is awful... But I'm proud of 2 and 3. Owning a ball-jointed doll came in handy!)

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the panel with the doll, but it's so closely cropped that I'm curious if there is any dialogue in this scene and if so, where that will fit. I don't mind the first panel; it looks like a standard establishing shot to me. They tend to have pretty simple perspective like that. Only thing is the big white empty space in the lower right, but that's presumably reserved for dialogue bubble #3. Anyway, keep it up, I'm curious to see more!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dierat, there's just a few words spoken, they'll be in the lower left or upper right corner, probably lower left... And I noticed the big empty space in panel 1 after I almost finished it. It's really tough keeping all these things in mind when drawing comics! Blundering like this will hopefully teach me to do better from now on Thanks for having a look at it.

Now, I wasn't nearly as productive today as I wanted to, being sick and whatnot, so I might not make it in time for this P.O.W., but I'm proud of what I managed anyway. Here's the rough pencils for page 2.

... The bartender was supposed to be a hot, tall guy with a ponytail. No idea what happened to him along the way, haha.

I'm so excited to be doing comics, I love it! Next time, when I have more time, I'll also use heaps more reference and do it more tidily. Still, I'm getting over my fear of backgrounds already. Yay!

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally finished my 3 pages for this P.O.W.! Loads of work but also loads of fun and I learned a great deal. Not sure when I'll be able to participate again but I hope soon

I'm not completely satisfied with how the comic came out due to time constraints (not enough time for more references, shading, etc) but it's not bad, I suppose, considering it's my first time making a comic. Also learned a thing or two about using GIMP.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's some lovely, loose lines in your animal sketches compared to your drawings of people, and I think it shows where your comforts are. The Doll comic looks like a great project, lots of different angles and compositions to work on human characters. Never be afraid to reference if something bugs you.
    Keep it up.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rotor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rotor, thanks. I know what you mean, and I really miss life drawing... It really helped my figure drawings and now I notice how much I'm lacking without it. I would certainly have used more reference if the deadline hadn't been so tight - next time!

Working on my portfolio to apply to Animation Workshop in Denmark. Here's two works for the "acting/emotion" category (still need to work them out better, the girl's calves are too tiny...) and a small sketch for the "perspective" category. I need to get cracking on this!

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work on the two characters, although the legs of the girl are too short but you know that.
    Try to draw the perspective drawings with much finer pencil and enough big, it helps(for me at least)
    cheers!

"Alle Erinnerung ist Gegenwart"
    -Novalis-
    My Blog

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ex-machina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ex-machina, I forgot to mention that the sketch is actually a thumbnail, it's really tiny. I've got it worked out much bigger now

Here's an update on the thumbnail. Not completely finished yet and not entirely satisfied either - still struggling with making perspective look natural instead of sterile.

I'm also working on the storytelling part of my art school portfolio. I'll be posting bits of it soon!

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Kjesta! If you're applying for an animation workshop, ditch the pen and go with a regular ol' pencil. From a professional standpoint, the acting of your posing is very stiff - you can drop a line straight down through the figures and they are pretty much vertical. An excercise that one of my professors had us do when I was in school was to take a flour sack and draw 8 specific emotions. (I don't remember them all - sneaking, scared, proud, etc..along those lines) Concentrate on having the body/pose act, not just the head and arms.

I would also recommend using more simplified character designs.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Alice Herring For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Kjesta! Sorry that I haven't been around. Your hatching technique is wonderful(I just realized that makes it sound like you are a bird, sorry)! And hey, I'm taking a visual storytelling class this term, maybe you can give me a few critiques once I post some work from it

21. The Following User Says Thank You to GoGoJojo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rabbit run, thanks a lot for that! I was allowed to look at some accepted folios and there was a lot of ink in there so I kind of thought I'd do it that way too... But going with pencil is probably better. I also see what you mean about the poses, I'll work on that! The dancer is still very upright but it's Upper-Egyptian saidi so that's how it's supposed to be. I'll try out the flour sack though!

GoGoJojo, good to see you again! I don't mind birds at all I'll definitely look into your SB again when I find the peace of mind, things are a bit rough ATM.

Haven't drawn/posted a lot because life is tough right now. First my rabbit was diagnosed with a tumor, then my father was hospitalized for brain bleeding, he might never be the same person again. It's all kind of hard on my whole family and I have to balance everything at once so my productivity is sort of low...

Anyhoo, here's a couple of sketches for my storytelling exercise as well as a saidi dancer (I like how she came out) and an early sketch for the acting part. Nothing exciting but crit is always welcome.

Oh, and I might order my first proper GT soon, a Bamboo Fun Pen & Touch. My rabbit chewed through the cable of my current crappy GT...

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post
    rabbit run, thanks a lot for that! I was allowed to look at some accepted folios and there was a lot of ink in there so I kind of thought I'd do it that way too... But going with pencil is probably better. I also see what you mean about the poses, I'll work on that! The dancer is still very upright but it's Upper-Egyptian saidi so that's how it's supposed to be. I'll try out the flour sack though!
    Sorry to hear about everything going on, that's rough. Hope things get better for you and your family soon.

Now back to the drawings: Ink can be an incredible medium, but you need to be comfortable with it and what you're drawing - otherwise it just starts to look over-worked and kills the life right out of the drawing.

As for your acting/emotion thing: The point is to get across a specific emotional state/attitude across through the drawing, which is much more difficult if a character is doing a choreographed movement.

Take a look at this post on Cartoon Brew: http://www.cartoonbrew.com/books/a-r...mball-art.html

Check out the drawings of Jiminy in the middle - can you put a story to those drawings? THAT is what you need to try and do.

Edit: oh, and you seem to be consistently drawing the legs too short. The mid-point of the body is the pubic symphysis, which is where the 'hip' bones meet in the front. (just above the genitals.) While in cartooning you CAN make that kind of proportion adjustment, your drawings look close enough to real people (i.e., not quite simplified/designed enough) that it feels odd.

Last edited by Alice Herring; February 3rd, 2012 at 04:03 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Alice Herring For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rabbit run, thanks for the kind words and the advice. Your tips are exactly what I need to hear, even if I don't like hearing it at first, haha. I see what you mean about the acting/emotion thing, I'm working on it. And now that you mention it, I do tend to make legs too short... I think maybe I'm trying subconsciously to counteract all my years of manga-drawing with ridiculously long legs. I'll try to keep it in mind from now on.

Here's a small update. I tried to stay away from having people stay so upright... Not sure how well the acting stuff is going but I'm doing my best. So little time and everything is sorta unfinished... Sigh.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Considering that I've had so little time to spend drawing today (went straight to see my dad at the hospital after work) I'm pretty happy with how today's effort turned out. I tried to express not a specific emotion but more of an attitude, something jaunty and confident, heavily Fred Astaire-inspired.

How sketchy can pieces be that will be included in an animation portfolio? I constantly want to clean my pencils up really neatly but lose a lot of the expressiveness in the process... Maybe I just need to practice that more.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more updates. I've been doing one drawing a day and it's working quite well, I think, I'm getting through these with more ease than before. I also have more peace of mind again, seeing that my father's condition is improving with each day. Sure helps with my work. I'm also getting better with reference; I do a quick sketch, gather reference for various bits and pieces and do sketches from those, then redo the drawing as a whole. I learn more like this.

I'll likely rework the guy with the sword from the post further up and also change one of the wannabe-Astaire's legs.

I like the horse in this one.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice updates, it's good to hear things are going well for you. I'm relieved to hear your father's doing better, and I think your process for using refs to help you refine your original ideas is the right way to go. I'm looking forward to seeing more from you in this area, and maybe some digital as well with your new GT? Btw I love the girl with the cape in post #108; that drawing has a lot of energy and personality; I've love to see something like that taken further possibly into a finished piece. Keep up the good work!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like where you're going with those poses. Some of them give out good movement, focus on the masses of the body aswell and how they balance each other out. If you have a chance to, I heartily recommend doing Croquis, great for just that.
    The linework is coming together nicely aswell, very clean.
    I hope everything will work out for your family.
    Keep it up.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Rotor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dierat, I'm posting a couple of my first attempts at digital today, any advice would be appreciated! I still plan to look into ctrlpaint soon, haven't found the time yet. Maybe once I get to creating the "freestyle" pieces for my portfolio I'll manage to work a drawing out fully like you mean (My dad also came home today, if only until he can go into rehab. Yay!)

Rotor, croquis are short life-drawing poses, right? Like gestures? I used to love doing those back in Australia but can't find any places for life-drawing near me, sadly I'll keep the advice in mind though and have a look through the three tons of life-drawings I brought with me from Oz for inspiration. Thanks a bunch!

So like I threatened, digital stuff... What can I say? I'm getting better at controlling the GT but getting a grasp on digipainting generally is going to take me a while. No colour yet but I'll get there... The last image with the girl portrait is prepwork for a piece I've had in mind for almost four years. It'll be awesome! ... I think.

EDIT: Okay, I still have to figure out downsizing my digital stuff so I can post it here, bear with me... Gotta get to work now but I'll try again in a couple hours.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oooh, I think I figured it out now Pat on the head please?

Anyhoo, I've been messing around with a character design that's been in the back of my mind (and a few pages in a sketchbook) for a couple of years now, my own take on the melancholy clown with a dash of innocent Oriental slave sorceress prophet or whatever... I want to work her into a finished piece eventually. I also have about ten different ideas for her gravity-defying, wacky hat. Need to decide on one version!

Last edited by Kjesta; February 12th, 2012 at 05:00 PM.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds very cool, I love the design so far, and I'm looking forward to its development! You probably know what I'm going to say since you've seen my sketchbook ... but you should start with some thumbnails! XD That way you can test out some of your ideas quickly without spending too much time on each one, and you can use the project as a kind of mock character design assignment for portfolio purposes if you're interested in doing character design stuff in the future. Oh and in regards to learning digital, I highly recommend painting from life. They don't have to be really complicated arrangements with flowers and all that - just collect some simple objects from around the house and paint one every day. Make them simple and focus on the process, working general to specific. Just my 2 cents of course

35. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dierat, thanks a bunch for the advice! I'm very fond of the design myself, it's rare that I actually come back to something this old... Anyway, I've been doing several sketches for the hat in my sketchbook already today, here they are. I'm leaning towards 1-3, personally. Also dug out the sketches from about 3-4 years ago, I quite like them, even if they're less than perfect. I need to find out how to mimick the texture of her curls digitally.

I'll try the life painting! Not sure how much I'll get done because I have only a month left to complete my portfolio but after that I'll tackle it more seriously for sure.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's nice to see you thinking of so many variants for the clown concept, they look really good so far. And remember to take a little time each day to take it easy, I know that kind of stress can run you down really quickly. Stay well!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to GoGoJojo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like number 3 as well; it's the wackiest out of all of them I think. You might want to try doing a few more and really pushing that aspect further. You mentioned 'gravity-defying'; what if you had some floating pieces hanging off, like ribbons or balls orbiting the hat or floating gently off to the side? I'm not saying that should be the design you end up going with, but just that it might be best to get an even larger range in these early sketches so you have more options to choose from and you know you're going with the best design for this project.

Oh and about the hair, if you're unsure about how you're going to tackle it in the finished work, do some studies when you have the time. Either pull some photos off teh internets or find a doll or a wig with curly hair that you can study. Then you can practice your digital painting and do research for this project at the same time.

Good luck with your portfolio btw!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GoGoJoJo, thanks a bunch. I've now worked myself up to an hour or two of art a day, I don't get a lot done but it's still more than I've been doing in a while, I'll just have to stick with it.

dierat, I actually didn't mean the gravity-defying bit literally but your comment was super-inspiring, I think it kicked off a bunch of good ideas on my part I've thought up 9 more designs and I think I have ideas for a few more, these are fun! I like 9 (!), 12, 13 and 16 (!) quite a bit. I didn't have time for studies today but I'll have a long weekend, probably, so maybe then I'll get something done.

By the way, thanks for your advice, folks. It really helps me a lot and motivates me to keep posting. You're worth your weight in gold

EDIT: Um, yeah. Attaching the pictures would be good, yes?

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry it's taken me so long, life's pretty busy. Here's one of the things I've been doing, it's not quite finished but almost. (I'll need to clean it up in a few places on the computer.) It's for the perspective section of my portfolio. Considering how awful I'm at enviros and perspective, I'm a wee bit proud of myself.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    after our interesting chat in the lounge i had to come and check out your work again.
    youve definitely got The Eye, that ability to measure and the sketch down proportion, light and shadow, and pick out interesting things to study, and obviously enjoy your work, which is the most important thing of all.
    sorry to be useless but no crits from me, youre obviously working hard, just keep it up and youll be amazing in no time.
    it must be brilliant working with animals too!

"Oh, and I might order my first proper GT soon, a Bamboo Fun Pen & Touch."

i have that one, its great!

love this

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; March 11th, 2012 at 03:06 PM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4