• 7 4.70%
  • 7 4.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    tenjpten5 is banned for trolling chow. If I'd been able to trace you to back to your original account here on CA you'd have had more trouble, but know that this behavior is simply not tolerated (Daestwen is at work right now, so she asked me to take care of it)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, it was probably someone new who isn't familiar with the very strong regulars who frequent CHOW and just pwn it hardcore.

Most of the problem is probably because they aren't very active in the WIP threads, but there is a reason for this: THEY ARE WORKING ARTISTS AND ARE BUSY. Too busy, really. Its a treat for the most part that they come into CHOW anyway.

Yeah, we get completely steamrolled, but really, who cares? You have to get over it. I wish I had finished my piece in time to make it to poll, but I plan to finish it anyway because I absolutely love how CHOW can inspire me like nothing else.

By the way, Mythril_Golem, I loved yours so much!! What a creative idea, love the "cult" down below. Curly, yours was just beautiful!! And Nichols, I agree about the blurry

“It is enough that we set out to mold the motley stuff of life into some form of our own choosing; when we do, the performance is itself the wage.”
    -Learned Hand

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." ~Albert Einstein

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nerahla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I only usually vote for three. In order of preference, I picked:

Verehin: It's just so wrong. Totally nuts. Well painted, and very strange indeed. And why the star where belly-button should be on the 'lady'?

JessiBean: Excellent idea. As someone already said, such a simple concept. Simplicity is good. And very well executed, especially to say you spent only 5 hours on it. Wish I could paint like that.

the real kostja: Nice fire elememental. I like the loose brush-strokes.

No comment on the complainant, except for: "Good job, the mods."

Thanks all

But why?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to agnostes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think anyone with an axe to grind should go back through ALL the CHOWs to date. You'll notice a few of these people that seem to "swoop in" have been doing this for a very very very long time. And, if you notice, some newcomers, like PixelTuner, have consistently increased their votes as their skill level increases...who would have thought...hard work equals success. Pfft.

Actually speaking of axes to grind...I didn't see a single zombie emerging from their grave! I am very disappointed people...very disappointed.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to {CKL} For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kept only to 2 votes this time . I voted for Mythril_Golem and Verehin.

I loved the atmosphere that M_Golem built, though my only problem with it is the 'god' could have been done a little better, fleshed out or posed differently. Otherwise, it was one of the more creative pieces, it told a little story not just about a random being born in space. The view makes my head spin.

I just enjoy Verehn's style, disgusting yet postcard worthy.

Others were ..

Pixeltuner: Almost, just something I couldn't put my finger on held my vote,. I think you said earlier you could have had more time.

Tommoy - I see what's going on, but it might not be as clear to other people. You did an amazing job with a limited palette.

Dynamitedill - Someone said this earlier, and it looks better than in your first sketch, but her neck is still elongated. Otherwise, berry berry good.

Jessibean - Spectacular, pin-up Bride of Frankie. It just didn't exactly push "ha newborn!" in my head though.

NicholS - Oh man, you killed it with the blur, I wish you hadn't done tha. Before that, breathtaking.

All for now.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reymus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CKLamb View Post
    Actually speaking of axes to grind...I didn't see a single zombie emerging from their grave! I am very disappointed people...very disappointed.
    Aww man. You coulda said that sooner.

But why?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CKLamb View Post
    I think anyone with an axe to grind should go back through ALL the CHOWs to date. You'll notice a few of these people that seem to "swoop in" have been doing this for a very very very long time. And, if you notice, some newcomers, like PixelTuner, have consistently increased their votes as their skill level increases...who would have thought...hard work equals success. Pfft.

Some people tend to think that everybody here whips up a winning CHOW in an hour or so. I wish I could, but alas, I've been putting a lot of late hours and weekends in getting better the last 1.5 years and still haven't won a single one
    I for one think it's a great thing that big guns like Jessi, Posh, Matt, Bumskee etc. join these rounds because it motivates the hell out of me every single time. You can't get better if you 'compete' against 'lesser' artists alone. I doesn't make sense to anything but a false ego. You have to take on the pro's (and hit em from behind and steal their secrets ) to become a better artist. And of course, practise, study, rinse, repeat etc.

And why didn't you draw your own zombie then??? There was a giant opportunity and you didn't go for it! Oh noooes!

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What had happened was.....uhh...you see these little gremilins....and they took...damn, I'm not quite sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lies! Lies I tell you!

btw, my votes went to Veherin and JessiBean.

With Verherin I went for the character-design which is topnotch, although I wasn't really able to pinpoint the concept.

Jessi's is just a simple and clear idea with a great execution although it lacks her usual polish and I'm not quite shure why she looks so surprised.

Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol, sometimes I wonder why I put in so much time in my piece only to find it garner so few votes I mean, yeah I know, you're doing it all for yourself etc. blah blah. But then I seriously wonder what I am doing wrong. Not wanting to point at any entries specifically, but just speaking from a technical standpoint (which I almost always find painfully under appreciated in CHOW) and comparing to those vote numbers - is my piece really that bad?
    Mind you, I don't want to sound offensive at all. Just thought I'd finally make a little stir. Because frankly, I don't really feel too motivated haha...
    You know, I am pretty sure it's got a lot to do with subjectivity and attached username/reputation and bias. Oh well... what can you do, right? Just forget about it and move on I guess...
    Thanks for the votes btw, especially to JessiBean - appreciated!

Lol I know I should have kept the above to myself...but it's all the same to me anyway...

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Reymus View Post
    I loved the atmosphere that M_Golem built, though my only problem with it is the 'god' could have been done a little better, fleshed out or posed differently.
    completely agree, i actually hated it soon after i finished the boring t pose and something about the value distribution is just irritating to me... i don't know quite what.

voted for nichols on the strength of the idea and minus the blur it would have rocked. maybe if the blur was just for the bg and the main figure was crisp.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hideyoshi View Post
    Lol, sometimes I wonder why I put in so much time in my piece only to find it garner so few votes I mean, yeah I know, you're doing it all for yourself etc. blah blah. But then I seriously wonder what I am doing wrong. Not wanting to point at any entries specifically, but just speaking from a technical standpoint (which I almost always find painfully under appreciated in CHOW) and comparing to those vote numbers - is my piece really that bad?
    Mind you, I don't want to sound offensive at all. Just thought I'd finally make a little stir. Because frankly, I don't really feel too motivated haha...
    You know, I am pretty sure it's got a lot to do with subjectivity and attached username/reputation and bias. Oh well... what can you do, right? Just forget about it and move on I guess...
    Thanks for the votes btw, especially to JessiBean - appreciated!

Lol I know I should have kept the above to myself...but it's all the same to me anyway...
    hey dude, I feel ya But I'm not really agreeing on the technical part, because most of the time the pretty pics with a lot of skill in combination with an interesting pose or story get quite a lot of votes. If you look at my Envoy character, it was actually executed pretty well (If I may be so bold) but posewise or storywise there wasn't much happening so it showed in the votes.
    As I'm looking to your piece right now: It looks great, nice atmosphere, nice colours etc. but: I haven't got a clue what's going on or what it has to do with Newborn You could call that 'intriguing' but I call it lacking in the storytelling department.
    Aaaand you have to ask yourself the question: What are you doing this for, the votes? Then quit. Do this for fun or to get better, but for a stupid poll? Naaah. Not worth the effort.
    And about the username part: I've been doing this for a while now and I've had a lot of baaaaad voting rounds, or even rejections from the poll when I thought I just made my best piece ever, but you just have to push on and it now shows in the voting department. Maybe I'll actually win one in another 1.5 years, but then what?

Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixeltuner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hideyoshi View Post
    Hmm, well, I think that firstly there may be some that just don't think your picture quite fits the concept. Other entries simply are... easier to understand. That's just the problem with such open themes, I guess (besides, just take a look at what you wrote in you dA-Comment ;D)
    And there comes the second thing, from dA again. You yourself pointed out quite a lot of things that you aren't all too happy with and which also kind of put me off (at least in the big version). Some parts just come across as really 2dimensional. Feet, for example
    And well, thirdly, I know you can do better ;P Like that awesome Female Sith Lord

However, I agree that part of the votes are kind of biased... in fact, all votes are biased, of course but, uh... I mean, even if there're people voting for (as an example) JessieBean just cause it got "JessieBean" on it it doesn't really make it a worse image Well, it still doesn't quite explain why other pictures that also would deserve many votes just don't seem to get any :/
    Well, an explanation may be that there're several people who handle it like agnostes or Reymus and set themselves a maximum amount of votes. Maybe you're just so unlucky to always get the fourth spot or something? Doesn't mean that your pic's bad, however

(wenn du mal gewinnen möchtest, kannst du ja bei dem ArtContest auf inwarcraft.de mitmachen. Ich freu mich da über sämtliche Konkurrenz *fufufu*)

Anyway, I voted for Pixelturner, Verehin (god, I love that thing And I don't understand how people can't see this as fitting the theme... the newborn itself may not be the focus here, but the mother is like the most important part in the child's life (no matter how disgusting she is), alone for the fact that she's preparing nutritious breakfast ;D), Reymus (one of said "would-deserve-more-votes"-pics), mythril_golem and the real kostja...
    eh, I didn't vote for Jessie? oO
    Thought I did... is it possible that the mods kind of add my vote for her? oO

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SunRoamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixeltuner View Post
    hey dude, I feel ya But I'm not really agreeing on the technical part, because most of the time the pretty pics with a lot of skill in combination with an interesting pose or story get quite a lot of votes. If you look at my Envoy character, it was actually executed pretty well (If I may be so bold) but posewise or storywise there wasn't much happening so it showed in the votes.
    As I'm looking to your piece right now: It looks great, nice atmosphere, nice colours etc. but: I haven't got a clue what's going on or what it has to do with Newborn You could call that 'intriguing' but I call it lacking in the storytelling department.
    Aaaand you have to ask yourself the question: What are you doing this for, the votes? Then quit. Do this for fun or to get better, but for a stupid poll? Naaah. Not worth the effort.
    And about the username part: I've been doing this for a while now and I've had a lot of baaaaad voting rounds, or even rejections from the poll when I thought I just made my best piece ever, but you just have to push on and it now shows in the voting department. Maybe I'll actually win one in another 1.5 years, but then what?

Technical or a good composition are different in terms of character design though. For example, I started doing ANYTHING digital just over 4 months ago now, my background is in clay, wax and sculpture for toys only, but I want to learn 2D. Almost 100% of the 2D work I do is 'boring' because I don't pose the characters or go into action or anything, because I'm still in that mode of "Can this be molded and cast easily?", Static positions, etc.

So my composition is horrid, I just have to learn as I go, but that wouldn't matter to 2D that I would be comfortable with, like orthographic views, or full character sheets.

Chow leans more to illustration than char. panels every week, which dosen't mean we can't do orthos weekly, but they never catch the eye, as in say, the same character in an action pose or in an environment.

Still, I think that you, Pixeltuner, would do some nasty orthos as well .

And...

Hideyoshi - I know you spent a lot of time on this piece, but it's not as strong as your Envoy was, even though that was a simpler in execution.

Sunroamer - The more entries there are obviously I could vote more,but even 2 votes for this one was 1 too many because of the smaller turnout (in comparison) to other Chows. Just because you, or I, don't vote for an image dosen't mean it dosen't deserve a vote. One thing that ticks me off is people who vote for 29/30 entries however. That's not how artocracy(?) works.

Last edited by Reymus; July 9th, 2009 at 05:38 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Reymus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I won't lie, I agree with Hideyoshi some... I do it about 30% for the votes, cause come on, that is ego stroking, and everyone likes that, we need it as artists, that is why we make work and show it to people. But I don't want to win a popularity contest and this isn't about asspatting. I want to be recognized for my hard work... I busted ass for almost 2 years now to get to a point where my work could maybe stand up next to the people I admired so much here in the CHOW. It's not about getting the vote, it is about earning the vote, imho. And you know what else is awesome? There is a winner every week, you can see what people expect of a top notch character piece right here in front of you. Don't rail against the bar, strive to meet or exceed the bar.

The Illo vs. Ortho argument is old and tired. Do orthos if you want to, or don't. It doesn't matter here unless the brief asks for it specifically, this challenge is about character, and however you get that across best is what is going to work.

And just so we're clear, I get my ass handed to me around here all the time, just like everyone else. I've lost way more than I have ever won. But I built my portfolio out of those losing pieces and got a job and got loads better at what I do, and in the grander scheme of life, isn't that the point?

And to Hideyoshi - your piece is not awful by any stretch, I quite liked it (I voted for it). I think the rendering and execution is lovely (esp the environment). I don't quite get the newborn aspect or a strong sense of the character, so I think those are things that will help you out going forward - pushing your concept readability more. Also, this CHOW is definitely moving forward for you, you are getting better, and don't be discouraged, you will keep getting better the more you go at it.
    More votes/comments from me:
    Nichols - everyone else said it too, the blur is so distracting, but your piece had me running scared, it is LOVELY. Get rid of the blur and make it super awesome, pls?
    Pixrltuner - you ARE improving, your character design is rad, and I know you were pressed for time, it is a FANTASTIC effort. Don't stop, you'll be on top of the mountain before you know it (I like your SuperCute already )
    Ephilli - you got one of my votes because I really like this concept, and I think you had an awesome approach to conveying it. There are some issues, like the rendering being kinda flat on the character (ref is the best solution - if you can see it you don't have to make it up) and some anatomy fixes would do this one good. I still love the idea, tho.
    Tommoy - this is just incredibly dynamic, I really like how loose it and expressive this feels. The "newborn" is pretty abstract, but I don't think that bothers me, this piece is really very nice.
    Timothee - I think the newborn on this one is a little too abstract for me, but I still love the rendering/general execution (esp the thing she is standing on, it's great) The shape of the wing is kind of a let down compared to the rest of the image/shape language you have going on, try and push that further. Kudos on a very nice entry.
    Curly - this is a very good piece, and I like the idea. Some things about the rendering are losing me, tho, like how close the creature/branches seem, and then the super small leaf brush you used in the back make it look flat - there is no mid-ground between them. Also, some plant variation in those leaves would help, so that it looks more like foliage and not so much like a pattern.
    Rabies - I think you sould try eliminating black from your color palette for a bit, because it makes the piece look muddy/dark. You also have 2 values in this, which flattens things out... think about how light casts around forms (maybe try out some still lifes to get a feel for this) and definitely don't be afraid to use reference for things like anatomy and environments - it will help you improve the readability/believability of the image. Keep working at it
    Buffchair - bravo for getting 3 done, though I think you could have been better served to concentrate on one and push it much further. You have alot of flat color and distorted anatomy going on in these which make them look less polished. I do like that in the third one you are considering composing a whole scene, but the figure is really small in there, and the figure is suppose to be the star. The other two need some variation in value between the figures and backgrounds because they very nearly blend into one another. And get some anatomy references, they will improve your figure work. Good showing, tho, very ambitious! Looking forward to your progress around here...

Last edited by JessiBean; July 9th, 2009 at 06:21 PM.

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JessiBean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been lurking for years now, and CHOW is my favorite part of the entire ConceptArt site. I've never thought of this as "something to win". Participate if you will, and let your peers give their opinions, simple enough. Personally speaking, the concept aspect should be more important than the technical, though I realize that professionalism is a must, as this is our chosen profession (or hopefully someday will be). As far as orthographics, my opinion is they should be just as acceptable as any entry, though often times it takes an environment to really drive "character" home.

Finally I would hate to sterilize the voting process, but maybe there's a formula someone could throw out there for maximum number of votes. Like say 20% of polled entries? 20 entries to poll = 4 max votes? Maybe only 10%

I think I've bounced around enough for the time being. Thanks for letting me be a part of this extremely important community.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Even if this comp is smaller in number, the topic is very thought provoking!
    Voted for Pixeltuner, I love creepy looking stuff
    Veherin, Even creepier!!!
    Jessi Bean, Simple concept, reads well and very nice renders again
    Curly, simple idea and straightfroward really, but executed beautifully nontheless!

Very inspiring everyone!!!
    P.S. For those who haven't won any chows yet and for those who have,regardless! for us trying to learn the hows and the whys, you're all winners already

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lwhuang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WHAT?!? This isn't about asspatting? I'm outta here.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to {CKL} For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blasphemy!

Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh gawd, I think it kinda depends on the asses :>

@Reymus:
    yeah, I also think that it's kind of... stupid to vote almost everyone Didn't want to let your way of voting appear as "bad" or something, it was just me trying to explain why getting only few votes doesn't necessarily mean you or rather your art isn't good and welcome to the people around here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JessiBean, - I've so enjoyed my leaf brushes that I forgot about the whole painting I felt something's wrong but couldn't really see. Thank you !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find myself morbidly interested in what tenjpten5 had to say that s/he had to make a fake account to do it

I wish I'd been able to participate in this one.

I have to say that there were several excellent paintings that I didn't vote for this time around, because they didnt seem to fit the theme enough. I feel guilty.
    Top picks this week would be:
    mythril_golem [the amateurish anatomy of the cosmic newborn + slightly-too-skewed angle of the audience, are not enough to sour the feeling of wonder that your painting invokes]
    the real kostja [because it's thematically similar to my own unfinished CHOW newborn entry, and a great image to boot]

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It doesn't matter what tenjpten5 had to say really. I think you get an idea from the way this has gone what was said. We've been here before and it's tiresome and starting to leave a nasty taste in my mouth. It is the public who vote for the images, and as a result it will be subjective. That is unavoidable, and henceforth will vary from week to week. The constant accusations of arse-patting, favouritism, 'names' getting more attention etc is also getting tiresome.

The thing about this kind of challenge is that you have to compare images to have a winner. It never means the others are less or more worthy. This is a challenge, not really a competition, and the challenge is to do a kick arse image and concept you are pleased with. The voting element is incidental, and is the shiny plump cherry on a sweet and moist cake of art!

When you sit down to do a piece for ChOW what are you thinking? What is the prime motive for entering? The competition, or a chance to do something that gets your creative juices going? To have fun... or is it really just the 'prize', the target and any kudos that may or may not have? If it is, you're going to have to get used to disappointment really quickly.

There is an element of passive-aggressive thought going on in some attitudes. What is it you really want to say? Look at the winners of ChOW: 50% have been won by one-time winners. Many of those pop in, win, bugger off and we never see them again. If they stuck around goodness knows how many they’d win! Many of the people who get some of the 'attitude' waved at them have been doing ChOW for what is years now. The law of averages alone suggests they might win more often regardless of how good they are!

And please keep NAMES out of this. The moment you start pointing fingers and waggling them about you just look a bit bitter really.

Last edited by Aly Fell; July 10th, 2009 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Granma and slepnilg

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thought I would follow up here, though I don't have much more to say.

Tenjen had basically the same argument (though put a tad more vindictively). Like I said, I didn't cut the post because of what was said, I cut it because of the underhanded and cowardly method it was presented in. I don't hold with sneaky stuff like that!

As for complaining about names always winning... I'm kind of tired of this! Do some research before complaining, first. All the numbers are up in the standings thread. In Aly's case, let's see... He's been participating since round... 2? I'm pretty sure? Not every week, but a good chuck. Let's see, even if he only participated in a quarter of the rounds since the second round (pretty sure he's participated in more, but i'm lazy) that would mean that he's participated in 41 rounds, and won 12 of them.

I'm pretty sure he's participated in more rounds, more consistently, than anyone else on this thread.

Trevor's also participated since on of the very earliest rounds, same with bumskee (see a pattern here?)... In a 'enter/win' ratio, bumskee's got the best, but I've still seen him flag massively at the polls.

Jessibean falls into the same thing, but on top of that I credit the girl with being one of the reasons that chow now has a much better male/female participation ratio, so she can win as many times as she likes, as far as I'm concerned!

As for the 'I've been participating forever and still not getting a lot of votes'.... Uhm... Have you looked at my entries lately? I've been doing this contest for just about two years and I've never won a single round! But I love this contest anyway, and it gives me so much motivation for my own stuff, just to be able to encourage people to do this every week.

Seriously, guys, chow is not supposed to be about the poll. I know people get hung up on it a lot, but this is why for the important/tribute rounds we don't have one. In the end, the poll is just for you guys to get some feedback.

As for limiting the votes: A) It's not physically possible to do it, B) I wouldn't do it anyway. If people want to limit their votes it's up to them. Sometimes I vote for two people, sometimes for twenty. I always votes to the people I think hit the concept best and illustrated it best, regardless of who did it. I hope everyone else does the same.

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My votes for this round:

mythril_golem: I really like the birth of a new god in space theme of your piece and I think you’ve potrayed it well. The god is the strongest part of the image and I love how the whole look of the translucent blue of his body and muscle structure forming with the stars showing through. Looks great!

the real kostja: A bold and striking image. It has a sort of ‘lord of the rings’ feel to me. I look at it and it makes me thing of Gandalf and the Belroc. I like the concept of a wizard bringing to life a new entity through magic and I think you’ve got the whole fire and rock look down really well.

Pixeltuner:
    Great design that’s beautifully coloured. I really like the colours you’ve used and the whole slime and wet skin effect is really well captured and lighted. Very convincing looking! Great work

Jessibean: Simple and effective concept, which despite not being entirely a new idea is still a new take and does represent new born. I think the scene is great as a whole and I love the colours and her expression. That shadow on her dress is a nice touch too.

-----

Oh and I agree about the blur effect on Nichols’ piece. I love the concept and the design itself is really bold and effective, but I don’t think it needs that blur on it.

Also following on from the recent discussion about the whole voting thing and the same people winning etc. then I agree with what's already been said by daestwen, Posh and a few others.

For me entering CHOW is something I really enjoy doing. I've only entered a few so far but I've enjoyed each one even the ones I haven't managed to finish. I love taking part in the challenges because it gives me the opportunity to develop a design to a deadline and also get some feedback and comments on my work which is always useful in order to get better. If I produce a piece of work I'm happy with that’s good enough for me and If I get some useful advice and feedback along the way even better I always try and do the same for others.

Also the people who always win as a result of their great work should be a source of inspiration as far as I'm concerned and should provide something to aim and aspire too. I think it's great to work alongside people who’s work gives you that drive to do better in your own.

So yeah CHOW and the other challenges are about far more than the poll and should be enjoyed!

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blackcherry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh, thanks everyone for the rich replies!! I appreciate it tons!
    You know I completely agree. Thanks to these activities and the general nature of conceptart I have become a hell of a lot less sensitive to voting turnouts. So in a sense you can say that the way it goes has only been helpful for me. And yes, I don't want to loose any more words on this issue ever again from now on.
    I have had far worse voting numbers so the fact that I am still trying to participate (even more frquently lately) only proves that I can very well live with it. But I also agree with Jessi's standpoint on asspats. Without recognition and confirmation there is lack of motivation and development. Also I might go as far as saying that my personality, nationality and way of being raised plays a role in how I react to challenges and contests. So it's only natural for me that I do have the competitive aspect in mind. I mean, after all this is a competition with a voting that determines a winner. But just to make it clear: I am of course mostly participating because I love working after a set topic in a group environment since it's very motivating and you try to put effort into it.

What I learned for myself in CHOW: a successful piece is mostly determined by 'first glance' impression and emotional impact. I see a lot of pieces with many votes that lack technically but present some strong character vibe and carry emotion or statement. That is something I find really hard to judge in my own work. I think I need to develop my view on what defines character and emotion in a piece much more than trying to render as accurate as possible, i.e. honing technical ability. The latter - as I've learned - is always secondary in character work. It's about changing your own perception and sensation of what is really important in a character. BTW, for me it works best when I am as loose and spontaneous as can be without wasting too much brain work but instead 'feeling' the character. And that is one of the hardest things to do imo because the technical side is done subordinately and automatically and thus needs to be 2nd nature. So getting the basics like anatomy down is really key.
    It's funny, I have no problem with portraing lifeless things like environments or vehicles etc but as soon as I tackle a character I kinda stiffen up because the approach is (or seems to be) entirely different.

Thanks again to everyone who gave direct crits on my piece and/or threw in general thoughts!

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hideyoshi - So why don't you approach figures the same way you do enviros or vehicles? Because a character is drawn angular, or robotic, as long as there's the understanding that it's not an inorganic form there. I don't think you should speed yourself through into moving from something you are comfortable with to something you aren't. I don't think that a vehicle or industrial piece is lifeless at all if executed well, even environments with no figures in them are more 'alive' sometimes just by themselves.

I guess what I'm saying is, since you are strong in vehicles/industrial material, just take that directly into characters, like you did in Envoy and the City, and then gradually build out from there, instead of kind of forcing yourself to deviate away suddenly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Soooo...to be completely off topic. Who can I drag over to IDW with me for the next challenge (when it gets posted)?

42. The Following User Says Thank You to {CKL} For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha, surprise, doubted that I could even get to the poll. So, uh, voted for...

Nichols yeah, it wouldn't hurt to see at least characters face a bit more detailed, but still, it looks very powerfull and blur fits well, imo.

Pixeltuner nicely done! awesome colours, awesome rendering, awesome everything

curly found it similar to my entry in some way, and for me it shows with what I almost killed my picture...Just first impression and so on. Simply beautiful.

Maybe I'd like to say more, but my english still sucks

44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Volj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first Chow: ZERO votes (lawl)
    My 2nd Chow: 6
    and now this one: 10!!

Forward progress, bahbee. And even though it doesn't show in the votes for my piece, I know ALL of you have it saved as your new desktop wallpaper.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.