Tips on use of color?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Tips on use of color?

Th3w-san is offline Hoping fake Japanese suffixes aren't a n00b thing here Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tips on use of color?

Name:  RT3-Village-Overlook.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  181.3 KB
    (higher-res version and background information here. Click the "download' button)

Hey guys. This was largely an experiment in atmospheric perspective and using color more effectively (something I have trouble with, usually). It's finished, in that I don't intend to go back over it, but I'd still really like your opinions on how it could be improved.

Specifically, I'm wondering about the grass colors in the foreground. I'm pretty happy with how the distant mountains turned out, but the foreground colors look much more fake to me.
    I figured since the grass on the left is under such intense sunlight the color should burn towards a saturated yellowish green. I may have had the right idea but it doesn't look nearly as realistic as the background...

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Most of my art is here. Got sick of the dA popularity contest, so I came to CA.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I do really like the background. Your use of color is subtle and the atmospheric perspective is working, you've knocked it back well.

The middleground and foreground, but contrast, are extremely saturated, and those trees are just horrendous. I know its a quick thing, but spend more time getting the light shapes right, dont use soooo much contrast on them, less scribbling, observe trees and see what they would look like. The terrain's not too interesting up here either, and you could have a lot more going on in that little village, instead of just throwing the lone houses down. The river does look nice though.

Really do work on the front stuff though. Like I said, the background's really nice, if you were to crop the image to just that I'd hardly believe the same artist did it! Use the same sensibility in front that you've used in the back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that the colours are not too bad, but since your light source is such a bright one, you should incorporate equally dark shadows. That's partially why the foreground looks more fitting. Right now, nothing in the midground has any really intense shadows being cast from them. Even the mountain on the right, it looks sort of like a giant glacier, semi-transparent or something, because right now there are no truly dark shadows. If you put some in, it will help achieve the look you're hoping for

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.