The birth of the universe

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

The birth of the universe

well I saw this and I thought that I should give it a shot, I REALLY want an intuos4, and I love art and hence the imaginefx mags (though I only bought one xD, but I do have the fantasy art exhibition vol. 2 and I would really love to receive volume 1 if I won).

I sat down and read my emails, I received word of the competition and decided I would try my very best to win it. so I started thinking about what my entry would be, the image of a giant turtle with 4 elephants on it's back holding the world on their shoulders plagued my mind (paul kidby ftw), and I wanted to do something to do with space and physics (just done about hertzsprung russell diagrams and the lifecycle of a star) and about art/painting containing something godly/some godly aura, so I sat down and did a preliminary sketch and this popped out:

It is heavily influenced by my personal interests and done in about 20mins I think... I was distracted a lot. I wish the deadline was a bit further away, I still have some schoolwork to do and a couple of school trips :/ And I want to spend a very long time on this.

I was pondering about the incorporation of birth into this piece and decided that it should have a lot of the "windows" or magnifying glass things focussed on different creatures and eggs, with further magnification circlets that zoom into the atomic level. plus a few more creational tools/toolboxes for example "iron mantle" tub, "nebulaic gas/dust spray"... the Higgs boson? ...and also asteroid sprinkler and orbit editor. also their should be a book on the biology/chemistry of one of the creatures and I can use my biology/chemistry knowledge to fill some of the page and leave the rest blank with the pencil/pen floating nearby.

I will probably start on it digitally on monday/tuesday... argh wasting precious days.

Last edited by robolee; July 1st, 2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: additional info
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member

update

developing some ideas, though my paint tool sai trial has ran out

I think I'm going to further zoom out so that you can see the corners of the room and add a lot more detail... after I play some games

Last edited by robolee; July 10th, 2009 at 12:15 PM.

figure out perspective and then stick to the drawing system. As it is now every object seems to be connected to multiple vanishing points. And as far as I can tell this is probably a one point perspective.

Firstly I figured out perspective about 5 or more years ago (one point, two point, three point, as well as orthorgraphic and other methods) secondly it's just a sketch which by definition "is a rapidly executed freehand drawing that is not intended as a finished work" (i.e proper perspective is too technical for a picture to be classed as a sketch) all perspective was done by eye, and I think it's actually pretty good for saying (and you should also note that some surfaces are curved):
    http://filesmelt.com/Imagehosting/pi...ea29c7e8be.png

...ah, actually I see that I did not mention that it was a sketch, but by the quality of the piece makes it fairly obvious (to oneself at least).

6. the fact that it's a sketch doesn't mean that perspective doesn't matter , actually it does , cause the sketch will give you all the important informations for your final piece .
    Also I think you didn't really understand how perspective is working seeing your attached link with your vanishing lines , i mean the way you did it, it's wrong , you didn't care about horizon line and horizon's perpendicular lines while tracing you vanishing lines, so it cannot work properly.
    here you can see an example http://www.graphicxtras.com/f12/plug...tive6-main.png
    Also think about the composition , like it is actually, it look messy with no structure or any composition (yeah i know you want it messy but even in mess there is some composition and structure rules i guess, at least, the vanishing point is one of the rules you should really care about ) .

Hope that helped a bit , good luck

http://filesmelt.com/Imagehosting/pi...cabb489725.png

better?

Admittedly I didn't make the lines perpendicular to the horizon line because I thought that it would make the objects loose their dynamic-ness as I thought it would set them all to the same rotation, now I see I was wrong, so I suppose I should thank you. But still proper perspective is unimportant in a sketch, if you include any technical measurements or practices it becomes a drawing and not a sketch IMO.

Last edited by robolee; September 24th, 2011 at 06:48 PM.

8. Ok if you say so (-_-)'''

But your persp is still completely, absolutely, wrong , don't want to sounds like a know-it-all but i really think you should review your persp basics from a book or internet , cause almost nothing is right in your persp , from the way to construct it first ...
    and i'm not talking about proper perspectives like with all measurement but a correct persp even sketchy , if it's wrong then there is no meaning having one a wrong persp is useless !

Well just to say that you if you start with a good base , your draw , sketch or whatever would be even better , no doubt ^^

Good luck for you next steps !!

cheers

Last edited by Asahi-SD-; July 13th, 2009 at 10:12 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.