Art: spaceship

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: spaceship

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

spaceship

Hey all, I thought I'd post this spaceship I drew for my visual communication 2 class at Art Center. All crit is welcome.

spaceship

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice work, I wish I could do that heh. The wings of the ship make me think "star wars" and the little ships that Darth Vaders troops used. Any inspiration from that?

"Infected By invalid behavior, while capturing the stench of Divine Putrefaction"

"Midway in our life's journey, I went astray from the straight road and woke to find myself alone in a dark wood. How I shall say what wood that was! I never saw so drear, so rank, so arduous a wilderness! Its very memory gives shape to fear."-The Inferno, Dante Alighieri

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Um, not so much really, though I know it came out that way. I actually came up with the form by looking at a renisance helmet and the human scapula. Yeah, I'm weird, I know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice design but i think you made the reflected light on the bottom of the wing too light a value. Its competing with the top. The w in w10 is tilted too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just noticed what the person above me said as well. the wing, the shape, seems to indicate the the bottom goes in at the "bend" in the wing. the light value at the bottom of the wing just doesn't go.

and about the inspiration thing, haha, you think you get your idea from wierd things? I've been inspired to write short romantice stories by WWII documentary's and friend chicken..been inspired to paint a demonic flower when I was jumping rope..etc. etc.

"Infected By invalid behavior, while capturing the stench of Divine Putrefaction"

"Midway in our life's journey, I went astray from the straight road and woke to find myself alone in a dark wood. How I shall say what wood that was! I never saw so drear, so rank, so arduous a wilderness! Its very memory gives shape to fear."-The Inferno, Dante Alighieri

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bah im gonna drop some more crits here because art center owns and you can too. Fix the paneling on the bottom of the wing too. Its out of aspect. It looks like its being seen from straight on. The curve might be out of perspective too. The entire bottom of the wing is very disconcerting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I plotted the light incorrectly for the wing. My teacher had the same comments. He said that the perspective was right on the wing, the problem was the view of the ship. I should have turned it more counter clock-wise. As it is the opposite wing from the viewer is completely covered by the cock-pit. Some of the highlights are out of place to. I went a little highlight crazy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats awesome!! man how do you guys at art center get such perfect line work? please do tell. like how you do it or what things they have you do etc thanks alot! post more

Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice! The rendering is great and I can see how you've started as a helmet for the basis of the image. I can see the comments about perspective. The other thing I found is that the shadow blends in with the vehicle a little too much making it a little difficult to 'read'.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. thats great, great drawing and great design. That previously mentioned highlight issue is the only thing that bugs me. Well atleast you wont make the same mistake next time .

Last edited by Happy Camper; January 5th, 2004 at 07:29 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the comments guys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice n compact!

nice rendering

but, maybe a bit to strong outline on the shadow imo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love the panelisation on the wing.- but i feel the shaddow might be on the wrong angle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In order of my reads of the drawing:

Your paneling needs work on this. You have a series of abstract shapes that don't support the 'surface reality' of the wing; in other words, the actual physical shape of the wing itself.

Think these lines through before adding them on, and be subtle in their use, as they do a lot to help imply scale and say a lot about the manufacture/use of the vessel.

Some of your shape interactions are interesting, and promising, but this tends to feel a bit like an unrelated set of masses. It may be the issues with the values on the wing that throw its relationship to the other areas off; I agree with what others have said about it.

In general, you've got a good start here; maybe take some tracing paper to it and see what you can do to simplfy the linework and bring the larger shapes together.

One incredibly promising note: the fact that you chose not to panel every surface. Plenty of room for the eyes to rest as they shift interest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, in hindsight, I totally agree. The pannelling got out of hand on the wing. The major problem in the drawing is the wing. It really flattens out the picture, and like said before it really comes down to a shading screw up. I have to say though, I learned a hell of a lot drawing this ship!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.