Sketchbook: Too Many Damn Directions

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Too Many Damn Directions

So I bought a tablet a few weeks ago because a buddy needed some drawings. It sounded like a fun project and it had been a long time since I tried any drawing (maybe 4 years ago in art school). Coincidentally, the bar down the street was hosting an open life drawing event...a drink and draw with a burlesque troupe. Sounded like fun...

Having absolutely no freaking idea what I was doing I looked online for some info about digital painting. I ran across CA and totally fell in love with this. So, here I am at the very very beginning of my digital painting/drawing experience, hope to find some advice, some inspiration, and some motivation to keep drawing.

Without further adieu here's a WIP from yesterday and some sketches from that life drawing thing:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dr. Sketchies Anti-Art School

Remember this was a drink and draw. I "won" a shot of booze for the one with the bull's head. So I was a little tipsy, also they were throwing out themes like "best drawing with a unicorn". None of these are longer than 5 minute drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Old Stuff!

Here's some stuff from a while ago just for fun before bed. Never really did anything with this but now someone gets to see it. Woot!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, looks like you learn quick, that initial WIP is a great go for a first on the tablet! Looks like you have a healthy dose of artistic talent and imagination (sober pieces pending ) Looking forward to future posts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reggienoble2: Thanks so much for being the first to comment on my stuff! I'm looking forward to getting torn to shreds in the future. Not sure if I said it before but your paintings were really great, dude. That WIP was not exactly the first I did with my tablet. The sketches below it were done a week or so earlier in PainterEssentials or whatever it is called...came bundled with the wacom. Also I've been working on some stuff for a friend of mine, which brings me to this post...

OK. This is where I really need help, I know these will show my inexperience. I'm supposed to be doing set concepts for a screenplay. However, the producer and writer are asking for these images in a way that makes them more of a glorified storyboard. Also they want this cartoony version of reality that makes me feel like I'm illustrating a children's book. So, the sets aren't cool. The compositions are stymied because I'm trying to accomplish too many goals. Colors, per direction, are to be saturated but the world is sorta bland. But enough bitching...this is what I've got. I'm including my pallet, a sample of a workflow idea (using sketchup to photoshop for perspective mostly), and some paintings needing critique.

Any advice about my brush use, drawing skills, approach, whatever, would be valuable. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey

Thanks for the comments on my sketchbook. I think your start of a sketchbook is really great. It’s clear you are talented and I think that if you practice a lot you can improve quickly.
    I really like the concepts for the screenplay and I’m not sure if I am in the place of giving advices but I think it will be a good idea to move the character from the right in the line of view. It doesn’t seem to fit in the scene so far away.
    And no, Ahoj has nothing to do with romanian language .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Elena! Ahoj being fairly slavic...I know. Anyway, your probably right about the figure on the right. I'll have to think about what to do. The bottom image went over pretty well in a meeting today. I convinced everyone to let me drop the human figures altogether and focus on the environment. Thats what I'm supposed to be doing anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    silent K thanks a bunch dood for the comment! Interesting that you've been away from the art thing for so long, what were you up to in the dark times, hehe? I'm glad that you're back and swinging digitally!! Man that portrait in the first post is money brah!

Drink and draw rules, love the cheap pabst, naked bodies, sketchbook and good fun! They have one in brooklyn been to once pretty fun. Wow i never realized they have Dr Sketchy's also out in Michigan, they just opened one in Manhattan but only been to the one in brooklyn. It's great to see you getting out there and about, haha luv'd the drunken gestures, great stuff keep it up dood!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Mission: To push our skills to evolve to the point of giving you visual orgasm.
    Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Snootchy: Yeah, it was the first Dr. Sketchies here. I heard a rumor that it was going on in NY. Totally fun...although my wife got a tip off that I was at some "weird a$$ crazy nudey bar thing down the street" which pretty much got me in trouble. As for "the dark times" sheeit, trying to get a job mostly... I gave up. This is Michigan. I started a coffee shop. Takes a lot of my time.

However, I'll toss up some college photos for perspective, I was doing art, just not drawing so much. I got my BFA in woodworking/functional art. Been trying to find outlets ever since. Seem to have bumbled into a wierd mishmash of freelance set design and interior design these days. Currently I'm very very happy to have meandered back to drawing and to have found this community. Everyone here is inspiring. Very much looking forward to participating.

Last edited by silent_k; July 2nd, 2009 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Screwed up the images

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Plus pencils are cheaper than chisels! Bonus.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn that's fckin awesome but that rumor ain't, hope to see more, ooh coffee shop, napkin sketch time!!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What... we're not allowed to talk behind NY's back? That's right NY, peeps be talkin'.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a speedy. Idea for a retail space connected to a project my wife is working on. Trying to loosen up, try different brushes, and loose the flatness of my previous paints. I know its a little overkill on the comb brush but I like how it let me think in volume instead of line.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol, no the rumor that your wife thought you were at some crazy nudee underground thing, hope she understood, hahaha! dun worry i dun take pride in any where i stay in, respect all hoods!!

cool speedy, and i like that your venturing into using texture but i don't think having texture spread throughout the canvas helps to lead the viewer's eye; it makes the image a bit noisy, and helps to have it focused on the subject or where you want the viewer to look, also if you do use the rake or a texture brush it also helps to go back in and paint forms out or on top but it's great to see you experiment and i see good things to come!!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha! Hahahahaha!!!! This is ridiculous and awesome. My cat Yoshi as a kitten for my wife's birthday. I'm gonna score some points for this!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drinking, burlesque and drawing! Where do I sign up!

It's great your drawing again, and also great that your here. You will learn a lot, and if this place doesn't motivate you then nothing will. That woodwork piece is incredible, I would happily have that in my house.

Peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, Since you ask...

Saturday, July 25, 2009
    6:00pm - 9:00pm
    Meanwhile Bar
    1005 Wealthy St.
    Grand Rapids, MI 49506

Anyone in the area?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by silent_k View Post
    Well, Since you ask...

Saturday, July 25, 2009
    6:00pm - 9:00pm
    Meanwhile Bar
    1005 Wealthy St.
    Grand Rapids, MI 49506

Anyone in the area?
    If I had the money I would plan a trip to America centered around that 3 hour period!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha lol that's awesome, and definitely aminals are always a good way to score points with the lady; but should reserve for when you get into some serious trouble, like a get of jail card, hehe; awesome sketch, cat looks really kawaii!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *Makes her way through all the booze and bar noise* - Hey the kitty is lovely!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.