Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Featherwurm - Eager to Learn...

Thanks

Featherwurm - Eager to Learn...

Edit: I own several Bridgman books and I have Loomis on my hard drive, please consider this when writing your comment/critique as specific information is far more helpful than pointing to a general source of reference.

Last Updated: June 27, 2010

Current Goals:

- Individuation of facial features (I'm told nearly all characters I draw look the same, I badly want to rectify this)
    - Getting a sense of weight in anatomy
    - Refining digital and real media painting techniques
    - Learning to paint shadows without black, and incorporating more depth of color in images
    - Draw more, Post more, Work on the above
    - Anything else others might notice

Orignal Post: Oh I hope I am doing this right...

Hi! I'm Pearl, a mostly unemployed costume designer, with hope of someday doing more. I'm still very new here, but I'm of the firm belief that there's always more out there to be learned, and one should always seek to improve their craft. I'm mostly informally trained, but I do have some classroom knowledge, I do a wide variety of things you might consider artistic, but my skill is nowhere near professional anything. I've worked on-and-off as a costume designer, draftsperson for an architectural firm, and well... whatever I can find. I'm looking to learn and improve as much as I can! (I know I have a lot of room to grow...)

I love seeing the arts and improvements of each sketchbook so I thought I should go ahead and give it a try. I know I need improvement in several areas, and critique will only help!

Anyway, myself aside (boy do I ever talk too much), here's a few things I've done recently just to kick this off, both sketch and (what I would consider to be... though I could be wrong) more finished work. This is just sort of a random selection, hopefully I'll have more things in progress and sketching and learning related to post soon:
    Last edited by Featherwurm; January 12th, 2011 at 01:25 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Colored version of one of the sketches above, plus some random stuff.

Thanks
    It's been a while since I've last posted, and I have no idea what exactly to update this with. As of this writing I am employed part-time as a substitute teacher (teaching grades 1-12, art and theater with the 1-8th crowd, anything with the highschoolers but mostly arts and theater.)

Unsure of what else to post, here are three variations on the same image, humans with Costa's Hummingbird markings. The first is the digital sketch, the second is a similar version done in cut out paper, and the third is a more fully finished variation in colored pencil.

Following that are to images from the beginning of the year this year. I realize it's difficult to show progress when the subject matter changes drastically, still I desire greatly to improve across the board, and I can't help myself but to try new things when they catch my fancy.

Thanks
    Here are a variety of recent endeavors, a few sketches and a few one more finished thing. I would love any sort of commentary, critique, or feedback.

Thanks
    Two recent digital paintings. Both still left kinda rough, but I have a hard time with finishing and polishing. I'd call them 75% complete or so. The first was for a recent COW of 'The Beast of Revelations'. The second was something personally emotive.

Thanks
    Wow, you're good, nice and interesting works. The second one is awesome, I just love it. Those heads are nice, no problem with that. Coloured version of the sad disfigured girl is nice, good eye expression. Those humanoids are nice as well, anatomy seems fine to me. All in all, you're not bad. Keep practicing.
    Last edited by Nenad; June 27th, 2010 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,039 Times in 897 Posts
    hi

you've got some nice works i like (like post3 the black figure smoking)

but i wish you talk more about yourself and your goals. this could make it easier for members to feedback and react.

if you want to showcase your work then post MOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zou View Post
    hi

you've got some nice works i like (like post3 the black figure smoking)

but i wish you talk more about yourself and your goals. this could make it easier for members to feedback and react.

if you want to showcase your work then post MOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR
    Will do will do! On both accounts! I always mean to post more, and I will gladly do so. I'll add a list of current goals on the top posting.

Thanks
    You have a good sketchbook. Keep updating, as it is a little heartbreaking to see 7 posts in a year or so.

The first one is scintillating.
    Sketchbooks

Thanks
    Thank you, I shall try to do so more, I'm not so much hesitant to show my work as I am simply rather forgetful. I shall do my best to keep things better updated as I am usually pretty prolific.

Thanks
    I have become very busy with a short job (more on that later after the NDA ends I think) and doing my own work is a little more difficult right now but I'm not without things to post. Here is a scrapped sketch from the COW for 'Garudians of the Portal' and a completed version of that creature that has... nothing to do with portals. Not my strongest work, but it was relaxing to draw.
    Last edited by Featherwurm; July 16th, 2010 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks
    I saw this http://nanya.deviantart.com/#/d2t45fp and wanted to try applying it to something. So I used a sketch from about a month ago to test it. I like the technique, I must say, and I think this will prove very useful to know in the future. I'm still having troubles with refining detail in painting and getting an overall polished look, but I think with more practice these things should resolve themselves in due time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 700 Posts
    Don't leave this sketchbook just yet The first picture is really cool!

I'm liking your watercolour, it suits your work. And as you say about refining detail in your work and having that polished look, the more you work and explore possibilities, the more confident you'll grow with what you're doing.
    What's helped me a lot to know what to focus on when rendering has been looking at artists I think are really cool and want to be just as good as. Trying to find out how they did it and copying what they do has really pushed my work.

Right now I think you should just draw more, even if time doesn't allow, you have all kinds of small gaps during the day that allows for doodling. I mean, 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there easily add up to an hour a day of drawing you otherwise wouldn't have.

So just keep at it, check out some anatomy, I suggest bridgman's books and mind those proportions. Most important, have fun in what you do!

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast