P.O.W.! Challenge 26--In The Beginning (EXTENDED)...

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,582 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following

SPECIAL P.O.W.! Challenge 26
    Deadline: Sunday, August 2, 2009, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world.

Topic: In The Beginning (Newborn Special Challenge)

This is part of the Forum-wide NEWBORN Challenge, but will be treated as a specific P.O.W.! assignment. It has no affect on the results of the main Challenge posted by Mr. Manley, but can act as a stimulus for many of you to more ideas that might apply to the main Newborn Challenge. We will post here as usual, and will have our own separate poll. You can ALSO take part of your entry (for example, any creature, character, etc.,) and develop it further to qualify for one of the other Newborn-related Challenges as long as you obey their rules and post it in the appropriate Challenge, or even take a panel or part of your comic idea and use it to produce a fully developed illustration for the main Newborn Challenge.

The P.O.W.! topic (In The Beginning...) is skewed just enough from "Newborn" to both allow you to stick to the Newborn idea literally, or go in a few directions you may not necessarily want (or be able) to pursue for the main Challenge. Just keep in mind that what you do here CAN'T be entered "as is" in the Main Forum Challenge. You can interpret the art any way you wish, and the more creatively, the better. Any media. B&W or Color. We're going to stick with the three-week Challenge period we've been using for the last couple of Challenges.

You can present your solution as a minimum of TWO to a TENTATIVE maximum of SIX pages which adhere to standard comic specs as below...and, yes, you can have the first or last (or both) as a splash page if you want. You can go to additional pages without asking if you have a decent idea that requires it--just don't get too extreme on page counts

Standard Comic Book Size:

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)

This thread will be the place you ask questions on this challenge, trash talk, post WIPs and post your final art. See the READ THIS FIRST thread for all specs.

Good luck.

Again, this one is three weeks rather than the usual two weeks to see if it will allow more participation or just cause a lot more procrastination.

P.O.W.! Challenge 27 will be posted before Sunday Midnight, July 19, 2009.

A little note here for all of you who have supported the P.O.W.! Challenges...thankyewthankyewthankyew...

Just a reminder--those of you who didn't get a chance to finish exactly the way you wanted to, or ran into deadline problems, remember there is a sticky section where you can post your stuff when you do get it up to speed.

Last edited by Ilaekae; July 20th, 2009 at 04:22 AM.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No more procrastination. I start now.

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

4. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ilaekae-

Any chance of an extension on this one? My panels are meant to tie in directly with my Newborn competition entry, which I believe is due July 31. Perhaps the same is true for your entry?

If not, I can probably put together an unrendered WIP by Sunday.

Many thanks,
    Bird

Swim, fly, draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought something like this would happen, or people would just simply ignore this Challenge, so I've decided to take this to August 2 to allow anyone in your spot to finish. But, I will post a new Challenge tomorrow for anyone who wants to tackle something other than the NEWBORN challenge.

Sorry for the late answer. hope I didn't cause you too much wasted trouble/time.

Alj

Last edited by Ilaekae; July 20th, 2009 at 04:23 AM.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well i'm glad.... drunk as i am . i spent at least 9 hours on pages since i leanerd this thread existed(on friday) and now have a reason to coninue. yeah!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I almost missed this cos we had a crisis at work (minor) and I've worked 19 of the last 21 days. I'll do my best to get something finalised for August 2nd from the stuff I started already. More likely to finish something for the other challenge though.

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i might max out on pages....i have no idea whith what the story line soppusivley is hercules's women get's jiggie with anubus! then zues comes along and starts a war in the name of adultery!!!i hope i'll get to add words....and stuff

11. The Following User Says Thank You to j.s. sabastian For This Useful Post:

AUG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my 3 pages. I did a fully rendered version of the splash page for my Newborn contest entry, which I'll post here in a minute.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Swim, fly, draw.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Waterbird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here's my contest entry. It ended up being a little rushed (after all that time). But I think the concept is strong.

Cheers

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Only one entry made it to completion (well done, btw), so I am declaring Waterbird the winner of this P.O.W.!. J.S.'s entry wasn't completed enough to actually go to poll, but showed some real promise. I'd like to see this one finished.

Keep in mind that if you're working on a longish (6-10 page) entry and suddenly realize you'll run out of time, all you NEED to compete is TWO finished pages as an official entry. I'll just post the unfinished pages as an addendum so the readers can see where you're going with the story.

Last edited by Ilaekae; August 25th, 2009 at 03:06 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.