Sketchbook: Jacket's Sketchbook - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Jacket's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jeshua, I'll keep that in mind.

Here's mostly some bridgman studies and the last page some lifedrawing. However it was a bad day for it seeing as no one would sit still for more than 2 seconds.

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jacket-Buttons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude cmon! I can't do even 1/4th in 4 hour and u draw THAT good in only 30min??

U really got talent and DO NOT be ashamed to show ur work! I really like your first winter themed wood painting! i'll be sure to use it as a reference how to paint snow!
    i'am really waiting to see more landscape painting from you.. =)

Visit my sketchbook and give some pointers for a beginner artist.

Zazerzs is offline ....bing me the bore worms Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    as Billy Idol says. "more ,more, more" Keep it up Jacket!

"Talent is a word found in the mouth of the lazy to dismiss the hard work of those who have achieved."
    Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook
    Interested in learning more about color? Read this!
    Fletcher:Color Control

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since I decided to show faharis how to do gestures (which i'm a bit rusty at using photoshop) and then went ahead and did a 30 minute speedpaint of a photo as a value practice. I need to get out of the middle range but i realize i need to practice more on my brush strokes. I realize that i tend to avoid doing anything with the head, so I'm probably going to do some practice portraits. Will do some more bridgman practices soon.

I tried to do a still life of an apple but my computer bluescreened and i lost it. Anyone know anything about computers? It cites a memory corruption fault at a vista driver yet i ran memory scans and all my ram checks out. I've also tried clearing my graphic card drivers out and making sure they're installed with the latest.

Ah well. I realize i also made her legs too short. Will continue with working on proportions.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jacket-Buttons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa I missed a couple, good to see your pickin up the pace. Yeah for the posterize tool, you can find it in too places under image> adjustments or as an image adjustment layer(cs3 bottom of the layer tools dialog box, adjustment layer). I usually us it to make sure the values form the shapes I want and also too make sure I have everything grouped properly, just one more tool for checking things.

everything looks like its coming along pretty well, I think your reflected light might be a little strong and maybe some more work on proportions, but thats about it.

For proportions theirs a slightly different system I tend to use that you may have heard of that might help. I call it the 3/2 system, basically you divide the body in half at the crotch and then divide the legs in half again, then you divide the upper body into thirds crotch to bottom of the ribs, then rib cage, then the neck and head. The arms being roughly equal in length, the upper arm being about equal to the length of the rib cage, and then the hand being a little longer than half the forearm length.

Its a little simplified, but I think anything more specific than that and I think that anatomy starts to distort the proportions anyway. Theres also other stuff that helps, like knowing that you can touch your shoulder, sit on your heels, hand over your head ect. I am actually working from some yoga books right now to help with some of that stuff.

For the value sketch of the figure Ive been trying to try working from the middle and then slowly working up to more contrasting values(basically what your doing here). Ive noticed that bobby chiu work that way too from watching some of his podcasts http://www.youtube.com/user/digitalbobert
    Sorta some opinion here but as long as you separate light and shadow and get the forms to read I wouldnt worry about the specific values as much beyond that, I personally think rendering things in a narrower value range is more difficult anyway.

Some of those bridgman figures are looking a little tipsy, make sure that the vertical line from the center of gravity falls within the base.

Edit: looked in to the bluescreen error, I have a problems with them every once in a while too. Anyway I found a article that disscusses it here http://www.pcauthorities.com/pc-erro...-screen-errors but more importantly the author seam to be helping people in the comments section, so that might be worth a try.

Anyway your doing great, just keep it up!!!

Last edited by surfandsnow; January 3rd, 2010 at 11:25 PM.
    Tenminutedrawing - awesome learn to draw series http://www.youtube.com/user/moatddtutorials
    A short list of my favorite tutorials http://surfandsnow.deviantart.com/journal/22269212/

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks i'll definitely give that a try.

As for proportions, it's more that I keep getting distracted with things. The bridgman's look a little tilty cuz of how I drew them probably more than anything. I kept moving the sketchbook around trying to find a comfortable way of drawing on my desk.

Anywho have been working a lot so didn't get to scan anything yet. I have a lot more lifedrawings to add on but figured I'd upload what i have digitally atm. A few more gestures and also a random face I drew looking at a reference. Was more about getting it to look human rather than a value exercise. The colors were just added on last minute to give it a bit of a fleshy tone.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jacket-Buttons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    peaked in on the pc link, sounds like a worst case scenario. If you cant get the stop code cause of a auto reset you can keep the computer from restarting by going into control panel<system<advance<startup and recovery. It mentioned it in a couple other articles and you can probably google it for more info. Anyway hope you can get it working, computer problems are always a pain, but stuff just goes wrong sometimes.

With the proportions, you dont have any major problems, I just saw the head stack and figured Id suggest an alternate that I prefer. The structure on that last head look pretty good, the line on the cheek seams a little dark but not too much, and the colors have a interesting look to them too.

Maybe some gestures from imagination/memory, anyway keep it up.

Tenminutedrawing - awesome learn to draw series http://www.youtube.com/user/moatddtutorials
    A short list of my favorite tutorials http://surfandsnow.deviantart.com/journal/22269212/

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea I have it set to not autorestart already. I just hadn't gotten a stop between the two in a while so I couldn't remember the exact code. As soon as it crashes again I'll write it down for reference. It's starting to look like either the graphics card or the motherboard is faulty.

I'll have some scanned images in shortly, classes just started up for me again. Here's a quick still life of some apples. Really rough, I think i need to spend more time on CGs like this.

I'll pull some memory gestures later tonight and try and have them up by tomorrow.

Also have a really REALLY rough speedpainting I was playing with. I think I need to figure out a different angle, I have a tendency to want to draw things top down. Probably from playing too many MMOs

Last edited by Jacket-Buttons; January 12th, 2010 at 11:47 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jacket-Buttons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For someone who may not have been drawing for as long as they would like, you seem to be doing a pretty good job. I might agree with some previous comments that there may be a proportional inconsistency in one of the limbs of the figure in the last drawing on the second page. I like the model sheet for the scarecrow character, and the perspective in the landscape renderings as well. As far as stuff like that goes, I would like to learn even the basics of digital painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The apples look pretty good. A few things, your probably going to want to work with the background color more so you can show how the colors interact, mostly with parts of the background being reflected around the contours of the apples. The reflected light from the apple on the right reflecting into the apple on the left should really boost the saturation on the part of the apple on the left receiving reflected light, since your reflecting red light into red color the saturation goes way up, and the brightness goes up a little too. just a couple reminders really.

For the landscape yeah the perspective could use some work, I'll mention that the doge tool is really good for bright things like lava. basically all the doge tool dose is shift the hue towards yellow or cyan while raising the brightness.

anyway good stuff.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah colors aren't really my forte, though I attempted to push the reflective light on the floor and also adding the green into the showers of the apples. I didn't think of the reflection of the apples verse the other apple though. I'll keep that in mind next time.

As for the dodge tool, I near refuse to use it. I'd rather pick my own colors than use dodge if necessary. I don't find it helpful really, but that's more personal preference I suppose.

I'm going to add on some speed models since i'm having a few issues with my scanner at the moment.

As part of a character modeling class we are having to do one rough low poly mesh per day. Modeling isn't really my forte so it's just some roughs. They were all done using an 'ideal' male design. The first from loomis and the 2nd I think based off loomis. The teacher provided the references.

I'm also working on a na'vi doodle. It's less serious and more just me having some fun. Need to refine up the musculature and do some reference if I wanna make it better. Probably one of the first times i've done fanart so it's amusing to me.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jacket-Buttons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got my sketchbook scanned. All are lifedrawings done from riding on transit. A lot of people refuse to hold still long enough I swear.

However, there was one very curious baby who stayed long enough so i could sketch, so I was glad.

Also another update on my model a day. This one was okay, but I just got a bit overwhelmed since I had only about an hour or so to finish it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another model. This one took me a long time but I think i learned more than in previous ones.

Also did a quick painting. I attempted to add color using the 'color layer' and 'overlay' layer as I've heard of others doing but I'm not doing too well with it. Perhaps I should try and find a tutorial for that method.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jacket-Buttons For This Useful Post:

Mischeviouslittleelf is offline Promoted himself from Auxillery Pencil Infaantrist to Tablet Gunner Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 716 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff in here mate:9 Liking the last one in particular^^

-E

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Squeeee~

I like the girl She's all cute and purttyful x3 Looks like she might be contemplating a bit of mischief too... or maybe that's just me >:3

Also Lady Loomis looks really good considering how awful she seems in the book. Good job ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh bugger it... double post. 'squse me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy hell thats good work and a lot of 30 second poses! Hell, seeing this only shows that i need to practice more! Well then, i shall be watching you to see more of your work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think were on the same page with the doge tool. you still have to paint everything by hand, but it helps for touch ups near the end. I also dont see a problem with it just as long as you understand how it works so you know how to use it. It basically mimics light sources based on scientific color temperature ( http://www.patmullins.com/img/colortempchartorig.jpg ) so that something burning at a certain temperature gives off light of a certain hue and that the hue shifts as it get brighter the only difference being that because of the medium we work with white has to be the brightest. In a nutshell the tool shifts the hue towards 60 and 180 while simultaneously raising the brightness. once again I am sure you know most of this stuff, but I figure it could hurt to mention.

Dam a model a day, your gonna be great at modeling by the time that class is over.

The reflected light on left check of the face is a little strong but everything else looks good. Your eyes look especially good. not sure how much I can say about using the color tool, but you will get the most predictable results if you try to match the value of the color to the value on the canvas, if that makes sense.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry I've been missing in action for a while. I'm in the middle of a move and will be at my new place in a few months along with moving 50 students as well.

The good part of moving is I'll have less time in transit so I won't be spending over an hour getting back and forth from class. The bad part is I won't be spending as much time in transit so less time to draw people randomly on the train. I'm going to try and start hanging out in Japan town and drawing people who wander by there.

I'll post up some images from my sketchbook in the next week to get everyone caught up on my progress. I'll just pop up a random drawing i did the other day as a random color study with no reference

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Jacket-Buttons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess I should say 'back' now. I just recently graduated from college and that ended up taking a LOT of my time. That being said, I now have the fun challenge of keeping up my creativity while no longer being a student.

Lack of having a real life model will be tough but I am looking forward to updating here again.

I will post up some animations i'm working on as well as drawings. Gotta get back into my gestures. It's been a while but it's good to be back.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Jacket-Buttons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congratulations on graduating. I'd like to see your update to see what youve been working on.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Been a while, how ya been?

Alright, it's been a while since I've been around. Things just have been super out of control irl. I want to get back into practicing more regularly even though my job requires some drawing, animating and photoshoping. It is less real 'drawing' however, and more clean up. So I figured might as well start with a derp drawing.

Basically was talking to Faharis about what i thought of photoshop CS6 and ended up sketching this out while chatting with her on livestream. I will say this is not a really well thought out sketch and it definitely is rough. No reason for critique but wanted to post it to show that I'm alive.

I'm planning on uploading my personal paper sketchbook as soon as I can get my scanner working.

Name:  vanessa_the_vamPirate.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  447.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Giant update

I'm not sure how many images you can put on one post, but I'm going to go ahead with this. I'll add 5 images per post. Just a giant scan of my sketchbook since I've been away. I haven't done as much as I would wish, but this will definitely motivate me to do more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more images

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    even more

Last edited by Jacket-Buttons; February 17th, 2013 at 09:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    almost there

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And this is it for now. I'll update more since I finally have a scanner easily available.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Posting some more gestures and 2 quick drawings. The drawings are not complete and won't be. It was more that I haven't had the time to try to paint something so I wanted to play around. The 2nd drawing, after I finished it, I decided to liquify it in photoshop and distort the features to be more 'regular' just to see how it'd look. I'll post all of them up.

Last edited by Jacket-Buttons; March 15th, 2013 at 10:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

eye see a kitty hurhur

A few posts to add in.

I haven't really been in a good 'drawing' mood so I have very little to show today. Mostly just 2 quick sketches. One of a random eye because I couldn't think of anything else to draw. The 2nd is a quick 30 minute sketch of a kitten from a youtube video just because it was adorable and i was on break from work. Hopefully more to post at the end of the week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more lifedrawing

I always feel like a creeper when I draw people. A particular interest is with the image with just the one guy drawn out. I was drawing him and he ended up noticing me looking at him. We ended up both getting off at the same station and as I was waiting for my next train, he walked up and I froze thinking he was going to give me crap about drawing him without his permission (it's actually happened before). Turns out he was merely lost and didn't know where he was. I ended up giving him directions on how to get back to the city.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5