how do i get through days when i can't draw

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: how do i get through days when i can't draw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

how do i get through days when i can't draw

all right this is a dumb question. there are some days when i can't draw anything. all my proportions are wrong everything about it looks like crap. but then i'll go for a week where it all looks good. so my question is, is there anyway to get through those days when no matter how hard you try you can't draw or are you just screwed and you should draw another day.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There will always be times when you are on fire and everything you do seems like a present, so effortless. It's often because you're hand as well as your mind is well warmed up.
    The solution to the bad days if you ask me is not to draw another day, but to keep on drawing, but loose the expectations and keep making the mistakes. Be humble, don't think about the outcome, just doing will inevitably warm you up again.. (Only to cool down again and loose it, warming up again etc etc. again and again..).

Have fun..

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tensai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You force yourself to draw. That's it.

Dan dos santos says it best in his vid, as a professional illustrator you can't afford to let mood or anything dictate when you will draw, or how good you will draw. You have to be on your game every single day.

To me, none of this is an issue anymore... Ever since I started my regimen of drawing 12 or so hours a day (something that can indeed be accomplished, fairly easily in fact) where as soon as I wake up I'm already doing warm up gestures, all the crap that might have deterred me a few years ago doesn't even come into play now.

Now, I'm not saying that you have to follow my regimen, however, if you are planning on doing something awesome with art then there's no reason to loose time over some random mood. That's just the time when you should hit the bridgman, the loomis or the hogarth harder than you would other days.

Sketchbook

Blog

Fingerless Gloves

Proxzee: I'm gonna prime your canvas with my man gesso.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,459 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's a bit like having a bad hair day. No matter what you do, it still looks a mess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thanks

all right i just gotta get going when the going gets tough. haha sounds good. thanks for the motivation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Work through it. There is the occasional day where you make bad choices, but you just need to have confidence that if you work through it that you'll still end up looking how it should.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It depends...if you are not using reference and your image just isn't working...then get some reference. If you are using reference then step away for a minute, come back with fresh eyes and examine what the problem could be. We would need to see some of your work to really give some sound advice.

Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found that sometimes I get burned out doing formal art for awhile. So when that happens I just do some abstract art. I don't like or do abstract art but it helps to free your mind a bit. It's a break that I realize worked a couple of times for me. Here's an example. It's an 18x12 pen and ink piece. Helps feeds the creative munchies. and the moment you start doubting yourself it's dangerous.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm out to conquer the world equipped with a pencil, digital paint and a Sketchbook
    and when I do achieve that goal...I'll conquer the moon too

"When you draw nervously you end up with a nervous drawing, so drawing strongly produces lines filled with vitality"- Nightow Yasuhiro

"Use the ability you already have, and use it, and use it, and make it develop itself."-Robert Henri

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FranciscoShreds View Post
    To me, none of this is an issue anymore... Ever since I started my regimen of drawing 12 or so hours a day (something that can indeed be accomplished, fairly easily in fact)
    you dont have a job do you :p

dan's sketchbook

The ssg with no name.. for now
    NRX - Frasermct - Walid D - The wannabe Dr, Mr Phil - Dilated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Go to a museum, art exhibition, watch a movie, animation. Anything that gets your inspiration and creative juices running again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Go outside. Do things with friends. It'll always get your imagination going. Never let your feelings get the best of you, and don't take it too seriously. Art involves patience, discipline, and practice. Best of luck to you.

FEED THE SKETCHBOOK

Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Nobody made good art by coloring in between the lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sometimes this forum makes me feel slightly inferior for having a lot of other things I do than drawing trying to lose weight takes up too much of my time! Some posts on here actually make me feel guilty for spending time on ice hockey, bicycling and weight lifting (weight lifting is the biggest guilt factor; pushing my muscles to failure often kills my ability to control a pencil for anything but blind contours) instead of drawing and drawing.

I strangely find that having a day or two of my other hobbies actually helps my brain process what I've learned. For instance, if I do some sketches from life then some anatomical studies for 5 hours one night, sitting down to paint miniatures or playing a good, rough ice hockey game helps my brain process what I've learned.

I often feel that I come back to my drawing table refreshed and with knowledge/technical skill I didn't know I could perform before. I get ideas from just walking outside and taking life in to its fullest extent, now. Let your brain run away and play object/word association for a bit.

If you sit down and get angry at yourself for having a bad day, it just for me seems to spawn more bad days. Just take some deep breaths, relax, watch an inspiring movie or read a good book. Look at nature; hell, just draw angry lines, circles, shapes, squiggles until you see things in them, and let your brain run wild.

"Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My DeviantArt Profile: http://dyspezzia.deviantart.com/
    My Portfolio:
    http://www.pezzworks.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The only problem I have it when I have an imagination block and can't come up with any ideas. When that happens I usually start drawing from life, figures, or anatomy drawings. Just keep drawing and don't quit for anything.

Check out my sketchbook: Draw or Die

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wake up. Drinks lots of coffee. Go to the bathroom. Put on comfortable shoes. Open the door. Go somewhere you've never been, or haven't been to in a long time. When you're tired, go home. Drink some cocoa/whatever. Go to bed.

How fuckin' easy is this?

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    Wake up. Drinks lots of coffee. Go to the bathroom. Put on comfortable shoes. Open the door. Go somewhere you've never been, or haven't been to in a long time. When you're tired, go home. Drink some cocoa/whatever. Go to bed.

How fuckin' easy is this?
    Mmm, cocoa.

"Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My DeviantArt Profile: http://dyspezzia.deviantart.com/
    My Portfolio:
    http://www.pezzworks.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrx View Post
    you dont have a job do you :p
    Actually I do have a job. Just went part time to 32 hours a week though (who needs cable and heating, I mean really...)

Sketchbook

Blog

Fingerless Gloves

Proxzee: I'm gonna prime your canvas with my man gesso.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol i should just quite one of my jobs and bring the other one down to 12 hours that would be awesome i could draw all day

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.