Where is a market for monsters/fantasy works?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Where is a market for monsters/fantasy works?

I would be grateful if anyone could give me some leads to events, market places, online communities, art collectors or retailers that specialize in monster & fantasy art. (either in Europe or America)

I am asking this to help a friend who I believe is quite skilled at monster art and design. You can check out some of her pencil arts at http://tehsharkbunneh.deviantart.com. She is however new to the scene and sells her originals for $10 at anime conventions, by which I feel she is doing herself injustice. I am sure I have seen work of her quality sell for a great deal more, hence I am looking for places where she might be able to sell her originals and/or do commissions for an audience more appreciative of monster and fantasy art than the average anime fan.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would think she'd need to hit it pretty hard for a good while before she can sell her work to any large extent.

The thing you have to realize is that while her art's imaginative it's pretty standard fare for DeviantArt, and there are about a hundred million people drawing dragonfairies and griffinbears and Otyughcentaurs on Deviant Art. Not too many of them are doing too well at actually selling the stuff unless I'm sorely mistaken.

If she could make up a portfolio of line art, like this:
    http://tehsharkbunneh.deviantart.com...ign-1-76189927

she might, MIGHT be able to get some work from the sort of RPG company that release PDFs from ENworld.com et cetera.

I can also picture the same kind of company buying this style:

http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs35/f/20...harkbunneh.jpg

either as line art or painted if she brought it into photoshop and polished the coloring.

If she wants to sell stuff soon she might want to take one of those line art styles, polish the technique hard, make a nice portfolio of it and then start pitching the portfolio at SMALL rpg game houses. They do always have a need for internal line art illustrations and she has a rather unique style.

"I know the Way, know the Way, know the Way, know the Way" -Achilles' Last Stand

Tutorial: Realistic Perspective Renderings from 2D Line Art
    Sketchbook

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Strela For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by yakumo soul View Post
    ...an audience more appreciative of monster and fantasy art than the average anime fan.
    Huh? The average anime fan eats that stuff up don't they?

Do you know for a fact that your friend has aspirations beyond what she is currently doing? If she enjoys what she is doing, and finds $10 per satisfying, then I don't think I'd try to change her. Bringing her work up to a standard that would be able to consistantly make money would require a lot of work, and many people don't want to turn their relaxing past time into work.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to J Wilson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for your wisdoms so far. RPG companies are an interesting thought.
    I do not wish to increase her workload as she already has a fulltime job outside the art industry, but she also 'works' with me in a small manga studio, ambitiously improving her skills and self-publishing comics at no profit so far. I know for a fact that she would like to earn more for her art if she could, but she has no idea what her work would be worth to whom.
    Fantasy is generally popular with anime fans, true. But at the anime conventions we visit, I find that most visitors are teenagers with at most $15 to spend on original art, who do not particularly value art that does not particularly resemble manga. I imagine there is an audience with a budget and interests more suited to her monster arts. Even if art like hers is all over the place, I'd still be interested to know where such a place would be

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not to sound mean, but your friend skill level isn't that great, at the moment. Most of the stuff looks kinda flat and beginner type stuff. If she selling that stuff for $10.00, then she doing good.

Like I said, I'm not trying to sound mean. She obviously, in my opinion, is a pretty good artist and I kinda like her work and I hope she gets better and makes more and bigger profits and enjoys doing it, in the future.

Deviant art is a great site and I hope she continues to post her work there and improve and post even better work.

I would take the advice of the other posters, if I were her. Once she is better skilled, she will have more options.

I like manga/anime stuff. Hell, I like everything art related.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another thing is that if you draw anime you won't be able to draw anything except anime, and I'm not even sure about that: the real monstrous anime and manga artists like Shirow etc have a comprehensive knowledge of art in general, and anatomy-- when they use anime stylization they're able to draw on traditional art skills and that's what separates them from the rest. There are a lot of people on Deviantart who draw that stuff a lot and never seem to improve-- their stuff looks flat and stiff and they have a few postures and angles that they draw again and again but other than that they can't draw people because they've learned humans as two-dimensional shapes and not 3D forms with mass.

I think people who are still learning should avoid it like the plague for the reason above, and in a couple of years when the craze is gone it's going to look terribly dated.

"I know the Way, know the Way, know the Way, know the Way" -Achilles' Last Stand

Tutorial: Realistic Perspective Renderings from 2D Line Art
    Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.