Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pride Parade Hate Mail

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Pride Parade Hate Mail

We found this stuffed in our mailbox today, most likely becase the Pride Parade is this weekend and part of it runs down our street (we live in the "gay district" here in Houston). The letter starts out unassuming and just gets worse and worse, not to mention the horrific grammar, and is not the hard work of our official neighborhood watch. I'm bothered by the substance of the letter and still don't quite know what to do, if anything, apart from contacting GLAAD in regards to the defamation (esp the bit about "KEEP YOUR CHILDREN SAFE")

This isn't a common thing, is it?

Name:  gayprideday_hatemail_small.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  368.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't read the post yet: But, I just saw the hair on the scanned copy, thought it was my sister's hair on my screen, and tried to wipe it off.

Edit: All the broken English confuses me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hippl5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by hippl5 View Post
    Didn't read the post yet: But, I just saw the hair on the scanned copy, thought it was my sister's hair on my screen, and tried to wipe it off.
    haha, I did the exact same!
    And that is really hard to read, due to the bad grammer and spelling, as you pointed out. It sounds to me as if the person who has written the letter is extremely paranoid... some of its contents could be taken to be offensive as well.
    I really don't know what to make of that O_O

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 516 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like the part about Fox news ending the parade if laws are broken. I'm guessing whoever wrote this makes their living by stealing the neighbors disability checks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's always interesting when somebody tries to influence your opinion and can't be assed to put in punctuation, eh?

Like, they won't make allowances for anybody else or think about their rights, but they have the right to FREE SPEECH and NO BEER because of something that might have happened in the passed......

Burger! Anybody that will play Mine games ought to have their gunpowder taken away!

De basssstiddds!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to alesoun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    FREE SPEECH is great but NO BEER can get tae..

Idiots.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't even know what that said. It's like it was playing mine games on me...

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's pretty disgusting. I wonder if there's a way to trace its source - absolutely contact GLAAD if they haven't been contacted already or better yet, call news stations before the eloquent author of the letter does and beat them to a story.

Didn't know Pride was this weekend incidentally, hopefully i can squirrel away a little time to get into the city and check it out. Stuff like that letter wouldn't fly here in Berkeley, but then again after Prop 8 very little would surprise me

...and what the hell are the Rights of a FREE Speech Discriminate?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Steph Laberis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I guess I should say before I go to bed that this looks like it was written by one person and not by some neighbourhood committee.

I know plenty of people who have dyslexia or some other disorder, but none of them that I know who admit to having the problem, would make up a flier like that and have it printed without having it proofread by someone else.

Look for the guy who has no friends....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I guess you could put up a counter letter, or a parody of the original.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Freedom of speech....

unless youre a homosexual. :|

i also laughed pretty hard at the crack dealer part, this is pretty ridiculous

Straight Edge Ryan is offline much less of a douchebag in person, I promise Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds to me like someone that doesn't like gays and is looking for any reason to call the cops on them. I guarantee you it was probably written by the old guy in town that feels that it's his obligation to keep the neighborhood "safe". Probably the same guy that calls in noise violations on any building holding more than 4 teenagers, and yells at skateboarders on sight

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

Zaxser is offline Steph Laberis Fanboy Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another thread about the gay thing?

Yes, it's okay to be gay. Yes, a lot of homophobia is rooted in bat shit insanity. You are all hereby awarded your diploma in stating the obvious.

This thread is now about posting cool pictures from GBLT parades:

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Do you Mentler?

Booting up a new sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i wish there was an opposite button to thanking a post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    i wish there was an opposite button to thanking a post.
    The groan button was removed permanently a long time ago. I'm sure most of us would rather not talk about it.. but nevermind :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My head hurts... and the reason is in a LAW Book somewhere? My mine has been abused...

Kamikazebob is offline [18:44] mr_pickles: Boob Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Going along the lines of Prom, you could correct all the grammatical errors in it and send it back.

Wooly ESS is offline personal reinventor and observer of life Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anybody whose spelling and grammar is that bad should have their Rights of
    a FREE Speech Discriminate repealed.

The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wooly ESS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's pretty bad, I mean, it's all dicks in holes, right? Or other things in holes, but whatever floats your boat...

I bet that gay pride parade would be awesome to draw.

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to offend someone I know, but what do you expect living in Texas, or America for that matter?

Yeah, yeah, the whole world's got crazies... I have a feeling, though, that if there were a gay pride parade here in Bratislava, and someone wanted to protest it, it would be some elderly man, active in the Catholic church, who would at least know how to write well, and would use the popular Catholic arguments, instead of sensationalist, absurd drivel like "save the children!!!"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I was playing a mine game yesterday - mine sweeper. It wasn't very exciting but I didn't think I was doing anything wrong. And what's that bit about gays blocking your driveway without permission? Sex should always be consensual (or was I wrong to treat that as a euphemism?)

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gay sex in your driveway is a good way to block it at least!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Pride in Manchester UK always has a particular church that prays for rain during the August bank holiday weekend. So far the past few Prides have been very sunny. Guess god isn't listening, or maybe he's just more sensible than his fans.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I wish there was a straight pride day so i could dress up in gaudy costumes and prance about! ^^

LOL @ the thinly veiled hate in the original post. Speaking about THE LAW in capitol letters when they are really saying "we dun want them godless faggets and dykes in this here god-fearin' town!".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I would hate to think that the Pride marchers were out to discriminate against my right to FREE SPEECH. But I know that's really what they're up to isn't it? ISN'T IT??!!

Meh - sounds like the work of a crackpot... and a barely literate one at that. Definitely forward this to GLAAD and the march organizers, they should know about it if they don't already.

"Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks like the letter was written by some kid, with pretty shallow views on homosexuality.

JessiBean while the content of that letter is rather shocking, it does not appear to be the work of anything organized, I would personally just disregard it as bullshit from some narrow minded person.

pride marches are good fun to watch! the ones in manchester are huge! its like an all day street party

Looking for work experience - let me show you what I can do

Gavage is offline Aim for the head. That's where the pudding is. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stuff like this isn't too common, it's more just that the people who take a disapproving stance on homosexuality have a bit of a track record of acting... well, like this. It does tend to gain more attention than someone with a more educated, thoughtful view. Hysterical opinion usually does.

My city is having it's first pride event next month. Curious to see how it will turn out. The part I live in is pretty narrow-minded.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally, I dislike stuff like this.

I'm not against homosexuals having certain rights, etc. But, it really gets me going when people start this type of junk. Why? Because....I can't agree with either side, really.

There are several places that I have lived that had a pride parade, and it was all cool, until the haters showed up....Then all hell would break lose.

Look, I'm not a fan of these parades, but I don't see anything wrong with them. I won't go, and as long as they don't inhibit my ability to get the places I have to go...it's all good...let them party. But, I do think we should start a straight pride parade. I mean....what's good for the goose is good for the gander!!

Of course, I won't be appearing in anything pink!!! LOL

GhostValkyrie is offline The deep satisfaction of radical ends.. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwolf29a View Post
    But, I do think we should start a straight pride parade. I mean....what's good for the goose is good for the gander!!
    You can't do that. It would be considered a hate crime in the US. Only certain groups have rights nowadays.

Besides these type of functions tend to create even more deviations of America's increasingly multicultural society. This is an exercising of the right to peaceably assemble, but it always gets me how people want to create a gentler us/them mentality and culture and simultaneously expect nothing but complete compliance or agreement from the other cultures. This goes for all 'clubs', societies, what have you..

But, more power to those of you interacting in such functions. I do think you should be wasting less time parading around like pixies, and more time actually organizing petitions, protesting, filing for legal redress, etc.

Case in particular - Gay marriage. Marriage is a religious function/function of belief. Therefore if a religious institution chooses to wed same-sex couples, it can't be denied that practice by the government as it is a factor of inalienable rights you are born with. Even is marriage is to be a state factor or turns back to roots outside the state; I don't see any reason two adults capable of taking care of themselves should be denied marriage to one another.

However, your major road block in that is state involvement in marriage. Not to mention everybody is under the impression they're given rights by the government, majority rule/vote or the constitution. People shouldn't beg and plea for rights, they should assert them.

Last edited by GhostValkyrie; June 25th, 2009 at 11:48 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.