Pride Parade Hate Mail
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 142

Thread: Pride Parade Hate Mail

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,318
    Thanks
    1,081
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Unhappy Pride Parade Hate Mail

    We found this stuffed in our mailbox today, most likely becase the Pride Parade is this weekend and part of it runs down our street (we live in the "gay district" here in Houston). The letter starts out unassuming and just gets worse and worse, not to mention the horrific grammar, and is not the hard work of our official neighborhood watch. I'm bothered by the substance of the letter and still don't quite know what to do, if anything, apart from contacting GLAAD in regards to the defamation (esp the bit about "KEEP YOUR CHILDREN SAFE")


    This isn't a common thing, is it?

    Name:  gayprideday_hatemail_small.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  368.4 KB

     

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    468
    Thanks
    250
    Thanked 759 Times in 157 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Didn't read the post yet: But, I just saw the hair on the scanned copy, thought it was my sister's hair on my screen, and tried to wipe it off.

    Edit: All the broken English confuses me.

     

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to hippl5 For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    West Midlands, UK
    Posts
    533
    Thanks
    1,432
    Thanked 188 Times in 115 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hippl5 View Post
    Didn't read the post yet: But, I just saw the hair on the scanned copy, thought it was my sister's hair on my screen, and tried to wipe it off.
    haha, I did the exact same!
    And that is really hard to read, due to the bad grammer and spelling, as you pointed out. It sounds to me as if the person who has written the letter is extremely paranoid... some of its contents could be taken to be offensive as well.
    I really don't know what to make of that O_O

     

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Youngstown, Ohio
    Posts
    1,568
    Thanks
    1,169
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 516 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I like the part about Fox news ending the parade if laws are broken. I'm guessing whoever wrote this makes their living by stealing the neighbors disability checks.

     

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The magical Kingdom.... of Fife
    Posts
    4,460
    Thanks
    1,133
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    It's always interesting when somebody tries to influence your opinion and can't be assed to put in punctuation, eh?

    Like, they won't make allowances for anybody else or think about their rights, but they have the right to FREE SPEECH and NO BEER because of something that might have happened in the passed......

    Burger! Anybody that will play Mine games ought to have their gunpowder taken away!

    De basssstiddds!

     

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to alesoun For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,432
    Thanks
    643
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    FREE SPEECH is great but NO BEER can get tae..

    Idiots.

     

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,035
    Thanks
    2,167
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I don't even know what that said. It's like it was playing mine games on me...

     

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Berkeley
    Posts
    2,695
    Thanks
    296
    Thanked 639 Times in 171 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    That's pretty disgusting. I wonder if there's a way to trace its source - absolutely contact GLAAD if they haven't been contacted already or better yet, call news stations before the eloquent author of the letter does and beat them to a story.

    Didn't know Pride was this weekend incidentally, hopefully i can squirrel away a little time to get into the city and check it out. Stuff like that letter wouldn't fly here in Berkeley, but then again after Prop 8 very little would surprise me

    ...and what the hell are the Rights of a FREE Speech Discriminate?

     

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Steph Laberis For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The magical Kingdom.... of Fife
    Posts
    4,460
    Thanks
    1,133
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I guess I should say before I go to bed that this looks like it was written by one person and not by some neighbourhood committee.

    I know plenty of people who have dyslexia or some other disorder, but none of them that I know who admit to having the problem, would make up a flier like that and have it printed without having it proofread by someone else.

    Look for the guy who has no friends....

     

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    SWE
    Posts
    2,536
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I guess you could put up a counter letter, or a parody of the original.

    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.
     

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    423
    Thanks
    570
    Thanked 266 Times in 126 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Freedom of speech....

    unless youre a homosexual. :|

    i also laughed pretty hard at the crack dealer part, this is pretty ridiculous

     

  16. #12
    Straight Edge Ryan's Avatar
    Straight Edge Ryan is offline much less of a douchebag in person, I promise Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    711
    Thanks
    206
    Thanked 709 Times in 207 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Sounds to me like someone that doesn't like gays and is looking for any reason to call the cops on them. I guarantee you it was probably written by the old guy in town that feels that it's his obligation to keep the neighborhood "safe". Probably the same guy that calls in noise violations on any building holding more than 4 teenagers, and yells at skateboarders on sight

    Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

    My Sketchbook
     

  17. #13
    Zaxser is offline Steph Laberis Fanboy Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    518
    Thanks
    113
    Thanked 114 Times in 65 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Another thread about the gay thing?

    Yes, it's okay to be gay. Yes, a lot of homophobia is rooted in bat shit insanity. You are all hereby awarded your diploma in stating the obvious.

    This thread is now about posting cool pictures from GBLT parades:

    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Do you Mentler?

    Booting up a new sketchbook.
     

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    423
    Thanks
    570
    Thanked 266 Times in 126 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    i wish there was an opposite button to thanking a post.

     

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,743
    Thanks
    737
    Thanked 470 Times in 316 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    i wish there was an opposite button to thanking a post.
    The groan button was removed permanently a long time ago. I'm sure most of us would rather not talk about it.. but nevermind :/

     

  20. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    My drawing board
    Posts
    359
    Thanks
    466
    Thanked 235 Times in 170 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    My head hurts... and the reason is in a LAW Book somewhere? My mine has been abused...

     

  21. #17
    Wooly ESS's Avatar
    Wooly ESS is offline personal reinventor and observer of life Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Southern Alberta
    Posts
    595
    Thanks
    113
    Thanked 405 Times in 163 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Anybody whose spelling and grammar is that bad should have their Rights of
    a FREE Speech Discriminate repealed.

    The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

    Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

    Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769
     

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wooly ESS For This Useful Post:


  23. #18
    Kamikazebob's Avatar
    Kamikazebob is offline [18:44] mr_pickles: Boob Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    609
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked 202 Times in 81 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Going along the lines of Prom, you could correct all the grammatical errors in it and send it back.

     

  24. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    australia mate
    Posts
    1,624
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 78 Times in 25 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    That's pretty bad, I mean, it's all dicks in holes, right? Or other things in holes, but whatever floats your boat...

    I bet that gay pride parade would be awesome to draw.

     

  25. #20
    TASmith's Avatar
    TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    4,169
    Thanks
    5,094
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I'm going to offend someone I know, but what do you expect living in Texas, or America for that matter?

    Yeah, yeah, the whole world's got crazies... I have a feeling, though, that if there were a gay pride parade here in Bratislava, and someone wanted to protest it, it would be some elderly man, active in the Catholic church, who would at least know how to write well, and would use the popular Catholic arguments, instead of sensationalist, absurd drivel like "save the children!!!"

     

  26. #21
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,318
    Thanks
    1,081
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TASmith View Post
    I'm going to offend someone I know, but what do you expect living in Texas, or America for that matter?
    I mean this in the calmest, most rational sense, it's not about picking on you. But aren't those kinds of generalizations and stereotypes the problem? Isn't that the problem with the letter in the first place? A few fringe extremists can't be what you base your understanding of an entire group on (apply this to your view of Texas/America, apply this to Western views on the Mid-East and vice versa, etc.) I live in an open, friendly neighborhood that also happens to be rife with arts and culture and a proud gay community, and yes, it happens to be in Texas. I am a Texan, I am not a mindless, extremist moron, I am not sure I even know any people like that. Just like I have yet to meet a homosexual I felt was predatory or dangerous, neither should predatory behavior and sexual orientation be assumed to be in any way connected. Kind of like how someone shouldn't assume that being an idiot and a Texan are mutually exclusive. And by lumping people into dismissible groups you don't respect, aren't we allowing the hate to perpetuate and fueling the extremist fires?

    Last edited by JessiBean; June 25th, 2009 at 11:56 AM.
     

  27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JessiBean For This Useful Post:


  28. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,531
    Thanks
    104
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I was playing a mine game yesterday - mine sweeper. It wasn't very exciting but I didn't think I was doing anything wrong. And what's that bit about gays blocking your driveway without permission? Sex should always be consensual (or was I wrong to treat that as a euphemism?)

     

  29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:


  30. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    australia mate
    Posts
    1,624
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 78 Times in 25 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Gay sex in your driveway is a good way to block it at least!

     

  31. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The Abyss, Manchester UK
    Posts
    2,921
    Thanks
    1,202
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Pride in Manchester UK always has a particular church that prays for rain during the August bank holiday weekend. So far the past few Prides have been very sunny. Guess god isn't listening, or maybe he's just more sensible than his fans.

     

  32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:


  33. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,447
    Thanks
    359
    Thanked 667 Times in 419 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Poshspice View Post
    Pride in Manchester UK always has a particular church that prays for rain during the August bank holiday weekend. So far the past few Prides have been very sunny. Guess god isn't listening, or maybe he's just more sensible than his fans.
    No church has a monopoly on God.

    Quote Originally Posted by Poshspice View Post
    One of the reasons we have Gay Pride Marches and not Straight Pride Marches is 'straight' people have not been killed, beaten up, oppressed and treated as subhuman for most of history. But hey, if someone wants to organise it, why not!
    People have been killing, beating, and oppressing each other since the dawn of man. Straights and homosexuals.

    Last edited by armando; June 25th, 2009 at 09:42 PM.
    Sketchbook

    "Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."
     

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to armando For This Useful Post:


  35. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The Abyss, Manchester UK
    Posts
    2,921
    Thanks
    1,202
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by armando View Post
    People have been killing, beating, and oppressing each other since the dawn of man. Straights and homosexuals.
    Really..! I hadn't noticed... however, straight people rarely, if EVER suffer abuse because of their sexual orientation.THAT was my point. But I think you knew that really...

    Last edited by Aly Fell; June 26th, 2009 at 04:41 AM.
     

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:


  37. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,447
    Thanks
    359
    Thanked 667 Times in 419 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Poshspice View Post
    Really..! I hadn't noticed... however, straight people rarely, if EVER suffer abuse because of their sexual orientation.THAT was my point. But I think you knew that really...
    Ha ha. Please. We fight each other all the time because of our straightness. "You lookin at my woman?!" Guy's are always trying to prove their machoness. Helen of Troy "the face that launched a thousand battleships". In ancient battles, I believe it wasn't uncommon to kill all the men from the defeated village, but spare the women. To a certain extent fighting is good, mostly the one on one variety, it's just part of life. Life is pain.
    Doesn't really matter what reasons people come up with to oppress each other, it's always wrong(probably, maybe there could be a case where it could be arguable? I admit I need to study history). Sexuality shouldn't be singled out.


    Quote Originally Posted by DerektheUsurper View Post
    There is no rational moral objection to homosexuality that isn't rooted in religion.
    That statement is a result of indoctrination. Homosexuality is abnormal. Look at it statistically and biologically. That is not a statement of hate, but a statement of fact. Color blindness is abnormal. That statement causes no disgust, yet the first one does. Why is that? I hate neither group. Yet I can define what is right conduct. I believe heterosexuality is what is right.

    Sketchbook

    "Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."
     

  38. The Following User Says Thank You to armando For This Useful Post:


  39. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    265
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 125 Times in 70 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by armando View Post
    Ha ha. Please. We fight each other all the time because of our straightness. "You lookin at my woman?!" Guy's are always trying to prove their machoness. Helen of Troy "the face that launched a thousand battleships". In ancient battles, I believe it wasn't uncommon to kill all the men from the defeated village, but spare the women. To a certain extent fighting is good, mostly the one on one variety, it's just part of life. Life is pain.
    Doesn't really matter what reasons people come up with to oppress each other, it's always wrong(probably, maybe there could be a case where it could be arguable? I admit I need to study history). Sexuality shouldn't be singled out.




    That statement is a result of indoctrination. Homosexuality is abnormal. Look at it statistically and biologically. That is not a statement of hate, but a statement of fact. Color blindness is abnormal. That statement causes no disgust, yet the first one does. Why is that? I hate neither group. Yet I can define what is right conduct. I believe heterosexuality is what is right.
    Heterosexual sex that doesn't result in reproduction is just as abnormal. Homosexuality exists in nature in numerous species other than our own. Your comparison is invalid because you would never assert a moral judgment of right or wrong onto color blindness like you are doing with sexuality.

    Something being wrong just because you say so is not a rational objection or argument. Why don't you come up with some examples or evidence why you think homosexuality is wrong.

    Website Sketchbook

    "If it looks wrong, it is wrong."
     

  40. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,232
    Thanks
    679
    Thanked 861 Times in 364 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by armando View Post
    Ha ha. Please. We fight each other all the time because of our straightness. "You lookin at my woman?!" Guy's are always trying to prove their machoness. Helen of Troy "the face that launched a thousand battleships". In ancient battles, I believe it wasn't uncommon to kill all the men from the defeated village, but spare the women. To a certain extent fighting is good, mostly the one on one variety, it's just part of life. Life is pain.
    Doesn't really matter what reasons people come up with to oppress each other, it's always wrong(probably, maybe there could be a case where it could be arguable? I admit I need to study history). Sexuality shouldn't be singled out.
    So no matter how indefensible the position, you'll just keep quibbling about it, just because its yours, no matter what, right?
    Your examples of violence against straight people are completely irrelevant to what Poshspice said.
    When Rob kills Bob because Bob slept with Rob's wife, he intends to punish Bob for his deeds.
    When Rob hangs Bob by the balls for kidnapping Helen of Troy, he, once again, intends to punish Bob for his deeds.
    When Rob stabs Bob to death because Bob is gay, he intends to punish him for what he IS. In the latter case Bob didnt do anything wrong... except existing.

    Quote Originally Posted by armando View Post
    The burden of proof is really on homosexuals to justify their sexuality, however all I've seen is nothing more than faith no different than the christians they tend to mock.


    Last edited by SM; June 28th, 2009 at 12:08 AM. Reason: spelling...
     

  41. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The Abyss, Manchester UK
    Posts
    2,921
    Thanks
    1,202
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by armando View Post
    Ha ha. Please. We fight each other all the time because of our straightness. "You lookin at my woman?!" Guy's are always trying to prove their machoness. Helen of Troy "the face that launched a thousand battleships". In ancient battles, I believe it wasn't uncommon to kill all the men from the defeated village, but spare the women. To a certain extent fighting is good, mostly the one on one variety, it's just part of life. Life is pain.
    Doesn't really matter what reasons people come up with to oppress each other, it's always wrong(probably, maybe there could be a case where it could be arguable? I admit I need to study history). Sexuality shouldn't be singled out.
    I don't know whether you are being deliberately obtuse or what. But I shall repeat my point. Straight people rarely, if EVER suffer abuse because of their sexual orientation.THAT was my point! Gay people suffer abuse because they are gay. Can't be any clearer I think... Unless someone has EVER been part of a persecuted minority they have no fucking idea what it feels like to be finally accepted by 'society' (like justification is necessary!) on any level. That's why we have pride marches. That's why you get people dressed up to the nines shouting out how fucking proud they are to be gay. I get fed up to the teeth with people telling others who they are allowed to fuck. The only word they should ever be concerned about is CONSENT! Not: 'abnormal', 'irrelevant', 'defect' and 'undesirable'.

     

  42. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •