Sketchbook: MeticoloR' sketchbook - The Way to Even.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MeticoloR' sketchbook - The Way to Even.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

MeticoloR' sketchbook - The Way to Even.

Hello Everybody!
    and First of all, I apologize for my english which is like my french accent: TERRIBLE! ha ha.
    To tell you a bit about me, I star†ed a graphic design course since February in Australia. I've been interested in drawing and painting for a while but never really give a go at it.... since I started this school, I started to draw as well but not enough to progress obviously.
    Anyway, 2 days ago I read a the thread of MindCandyMan. It was very inspiring and motivating. I'm starting form rock bottom as well and I am going to draw at least one sketch a day and paint at least one painting (I intent to paint digitally) a day.
    I will put everything I do in this thread. As MindCandyMan said himself: I'm bearing my soul to everyone. I really want to progress and to learn from everybody. So Critics and Comments are more than welcome.
    I have school during the day and wok at night so I'll be able to post most of my work late at night.

As I said before I started two days ago and did some scketches, unfortunately I can't scan them and my camera has no battery , so I will post them tomorrow when the battery will be full.
    yesterday a friend give me a graphic tablet wacom A5, so I'll be learning to paint with it.
    the first try was an amazing sensation and so much fun.
    I follow a tutorial on the tutorial forum of conceptart and try to do a pear. It's my first try and it took me around 1 hour and a half.
    so here it is:

It's 5.00 am I need some sleep now
    Thanks to all of you

Attachment 763160

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MeticoloR'; April 10th, 2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Wanted to change the thumbnail
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, welcome at ConceptArt!
    This is already a very good start, I think. You watched the object very carefully, thats great. Maybe it could help you to change the background colour into one that is a little like the original background. It looks a bit nicer on the one hand, and on the other hand the object will reflect the colours of surrounding objects. It´s easier to paint them realisticly that way.
    Keep on posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Starting my journey as an Old Rookie - update 24_06_09

Hi Katanasoul! thank you so much for your critics, advices and for the encouragement you gave me. I will try to change the background tonight. It would be hard because I already move my plastic pear and I have to put it at the same place! ha ha. I went to your sketchbook as well and your work is just incredibly Awesome!! I really like your pencil drawing it's really realistic and the shadow are great!! I hope I'll be as good as you some day ...

As promise here are the sketches I did two days ago.
    On the first one there are some gesture drawing I did the 22 of June. It's not good at all I recon but I'll try one tonight to train myself to draw a bit quicker
    On the second one I draw some torse study from references (sculpture and painting of Michelangelo) I did tjat same day
    Finally on the third one are some torso drawing again I did the 23 of June. My aim with the torso is to draw at least 50 torso in a month, so I try to draw 3 or 4 torso a day... hope my math is good ha ha.
    My sketches are not that good but it's what I done so far... so here it is:
    P.S.: sorry for the quality of the picture but I don't have a scanner and My camera suck. ha ha

Name:  Pear_Test01.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  55.7 KB

Name:  Gesture_drawing.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  Torso_study220609.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  360.4 KB

Name:  Torso_study230609.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  154.8 KB

Last edited by MeticoloR'; August 6th, 2009 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Greetings MeticoloR. It is with great pride that I take a hard recognition in to your work in the sense that we are on the same level of skill sets, in my opinion, and we have the same devotion towards getting better. The last week for me has been revolving around production. I, myself, and trying every single day to get better in one way or another, and therefore I have made the decision to follow your sketchbook thread through your journey as well.

If you take a look at a few of my works, I am certain you will see we are resembling one another! Its shocking in that sense, but never the less I believe in the long run we may be able to help one another.

My best piece of advice would be to pick up any life drawing book, and practice sketching from what you see in the book. Remember not only to copy as best as you can, but to consciously think about why the artist has decided to put the stronger lines in where theyre at in the drawing. This will help you picture how forms are built for stability and functionality in the drawing -- and in all hopes, it will help stick for when you go off on your own. I am following my own advice here, and its helping with my forms tremendously!

Looking forward to more work from you. Remember to never compare yourself with another artist, but only to relish in what they've learned so that you can better yourself.

Ringling 2013

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update 24_06_09

NothingReallyExists - Hi and thanks for the advice that you gave to me! I heard a lot about Andrew Loomis books. Actually I'm searching the net to find them (I heard that his books are free to download and great to learn to draw) dunno if it's true but it's worth to try... I think you're right about our skill level but I sincerely think that you have a good sense of rendering I went on your sketchbook and some stuff that you've done are just great... If you want to progress in digital painting I think it's worth to have a look at this: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=107217
    Have a look at it and tell me what you think.. I spent 2 hours yesterday reading through this thread and they provide some great advice to paint for newbie like us.
    Thank you again t stop on this thread and give some advice

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=107217

Here is a drawing I did yesterday night
    The first one is a torso study again and a figure drawing of the same sculpture. I'm not happy with the rendering: I try to render the muscle and flesh under his skin but it turned out to be like a mess
    The second one his a painting of an onion that I did to train to bend in photoshop and hell yeah it's very hard. I think I'll give it a go some day after I'll be able to paint a pear and an applevery well! ha ha.

thanks all again by stopping on this thread!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update!

Again some study I've done today.
    Thanks to NothingReallyExists I'm on my way to improve my figure drawing study. all of this figure are from Vilppu figure drawing book. It helps me a lot!! I love it!!!
    I post also some study that I've done for a fruit rendering in colour pencil - they took me around 8 hours each. One the pomegranate one I just did the bottom part (the cut view of the pomegranate) and my girlfriend did the big one. I hope you'll get what I mean...
    I did the all capsicum rendering though: hope you like it.
    I post also a painting of a sphere done with photoshop and my great wacom after reading the "peer project thread"!!
    So here they are:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 918 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start for your sketchbook
    Ill be staying tuned
    Keep it up -Omerta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I was to tired this morning and forgot to post the sphere...
    here it is:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 774 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your onion is very nice. Just remember that shadows can be very colorful. I can see that you reflected some of the color of the onion into the shadow, but the fact that you started with a grey shadow leaves if feeling very plastic. I think Katanasoul's suggestion of added in the color of the surface that your objects are sitting on would be good for you. The problem is that white surfaces will have colored shadows, not grey, and that is often a tricky subject for new painters. Usually white objects will have a bit of a neutral blue shadow, but if the shadow is warm it will seem more brownish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, that beautiful work, congratulations, and continue to send more people to see!

Hugs

"God is my inspiration."

Sketchbook
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A lion and some lips...

ALEXANDRE da Vinci - thanks for those kind words!!

Here some more sketches:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, those are niiice lips but those fruits are fantastic. They look really wonderful. I'm actually hungry after looking at that pomegranate! It's impressive colored pencil work.
    Some finer hatching or cross hatching on your sketches will work to make your line quality look cleaner on pieces like the lions head, although I do like the strong thick outer lines. Other than that, keep up with the studies and maybe try drawing some other body types or ages? Your working from statues?
    I like the Cow eye a lot too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ya man those still life vegetables are great! i think i know what anatomy book those pics are from, i think i drew those lips bfore. nice SB so far pally

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OmertA - Thanks for your nice comments pal

dierat - Thank you for ur precious advice! I working on colour theory actually. my eyes are bleeeeeeeding!!! my brain too but t's worth it.

ALEXANDRE da Vinci - Thanks Man!!!

MoKhi - thanks you for ur comments too! I'm still working on it!! hope I'll be able to do it soon! Yeah I use sculpture references for the torso study. but I use Wilppu book for figure drawing. I looking for some people too draw from... if someone got a link will be very useful to me.

Jesus Food - Cheers mate! Yeah there are from an anatomic book, I always use references, I can't draw from imagination yet...

Here a new drawing. a monster i did from imagination. I saw a drawing of a mairmaid with tentacles and I wanted to do something a bit similar but more animalistic... After looking at it I see lots of anatomy issue and I don't think that was a good idea too draw its arm so separated (is it the good word?) (hope you get what i mean) I'll try to draw its arm closer.. its hips too narrow too I think.
    I'll post it anyway... Feel free to comment!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dude Rendering + some study update

Here are some head study I've done after reading Andrew Loomis book! this book is Amazing! My drawing still sucks ,but I think I start to understand anatomy of the head... I hope ...
    After that I drew a dude (from a photo reference though). I was happy with it til this morning... after I looked at it I found that his face is way to short..
    I post it anyway.
    By the way, If someone knows how to change the pear picture next to the title of my thread. Please tell me!! I've been trying for a while unsuccessfully!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice rendering on the pear, but it looks more like glass rather than an organic object.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HTML rulez d00d - Hey dood! thanks for commenting on my thread. Actually the pear I drew from is a plastic pear! ha ha. I know I should have chosen a real fruit but I didn't have one at this time..

kidult is offline Does this sketch make my ass look fat? Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep going like you are and it will pay off! Great studies and those red peppers look awesome! The thumbnail image is the 1st one in the 1st post so you'l have to remove the pear and add the new pic 1st and then upload it again, or just add the pear to your 2nd post and leave the 1st one for the thumbnail!
    Keep going!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey there man! nice studies you've got going here!!
    and i see you've started putting them together too! on your head studies, i'd suggest you pay attention to proportions and be careful to get that curvy form! they seem a bit flat;
    and on your portrait, i think the nose and eyebrows are particularly realistic! the left eye seems a bit odd though..or the right one...hmm..i can't really tell but there's something about them that could need some twitching

keep it up!!~

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update 30 06 09

kidult - Hey Man! Thanks for stopping by and for your kind comments. I will keep going!! I admit that sometimes it's so hard and I don't really feel like drawing... but since I grab a pencil I instantaneously forgot this feeling... another technique is to get through those awesome sketchbook in here and for sure it gives me the boost to continue. unfortunately, I'm a bit busy right now but I still find time to do a drawing, at least one a day..It's not a lot I know! ha ha...
    Thanks for the tip too! I was thinking of putting the head instead of the pear but the head rendering is not good neither, so I will see...

BlackDelphin - Hey Girl!! thank you for stopping here again! Just for the start of my second week of drawing!! thanks for the compliment too! Yeah I still try to get that curvy form at the start (when I draw the ball) (Hope you get it) But it always look weird after that .. I'm going to work on it I aim to draw at least 10 head a day but I put so much challenge on myself recently I think that I have to rethink about it (I have to draw 50 torso for this month and 50 figure drawing and I've done 10 torso and 13 figure drawing so far.. ) ).
    About the guy rendering: now that I said that I can't look at it the same way!! ha ha! for sure it's his left eyes is toooo big. or it's the other one which is too small... mmmmh I have to work that out. thanks for stopping by and pointing out those issue without you I couldn't make it!

So! here are some sketches I've done tonight and a rendering of some cube and sphere I've done to train my rendering skill:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another pen rendering. Should represent an eagle even though it looks more like a seagull... ha ha It took me around 2 hour or so.
    here it is:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice studies and art here! keep at it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update 25 07 09

Haven't been here for a loooooongtime!! I didn't have internet for a month or so.
    It's so a big pain to move out and move to a new place every year..
    I've still manage time to draw a little every day though .
    Here are some of my last drawing:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies in here! I really enjoy posts #20 and 21. For the eagle, I feel like he could use a bit darker values to give him a bit more contrast and help him pop out. Also the area directly below his beak is a bit flat. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update 30 07 09 - Crits welcome!!!

dierat=> Thanks for your encouragement and crits!! yeah I totally agree with you about the eagle! In fact I'm a bit lazy! I've done it with dot and I couldn't add any dot anymore! ha ha. This technique is quite interesting though... Thanks again!!

zanna92 => Thank you!!!

I haven't drawn much during these 5 days! I read a lot of books!! about drawing of course! I've bone some painting as well. still suck but I'm improving!! yeah!!!
    here is my last painting with a WIP:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

31 07 09

Hi Everyone!
    Just an aircraft I've done with cinema4D. I know this sketchbook is about drawing but as I tryi ng a bit of everything I'll be posting a bit of everything !!

Some design stuff later on.

Ah if someone can tell me how to write between images that would be great!!
    Many thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little update again.
    A self portrait I did this morning in 15 mn. I wanted to draw it pretty quickly just to see if I'm able to see shapes without working on them (planes, circles, etc...) dunno if u see what I mean
    I tried to shade with strokes too but still got a lot to learn!!
    Here it is:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great studies man. i think u should draw more faces tho

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're welcome to post any medium in your sketchbook, I think 3d just isn't as common as most people stick to 2d. I don't know much about modelling so all I can say is it looks very nice

After you upload images using the attachment manager, you can add the attachments into your post using the paperclip icon (above the add a link/remove a link icons). That way you can specify where your attachments will appear in your message and write text between them.

Btw I love the apple in post #25! Just be careful that you're not making your edges too sharp. It's tempting to make the edges very crisp with digital because, well I guess because we can, but it makes the form feel very flat. Like it's a photo someone cut out of a magazine, not a 3d object with rounded edges angling back in space.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update 02 08 09

Jesus Food - Thanks Man!! yeah definitely.. And that's what I'm doing now but sometimes I'm just so frustrated I want to change and do other things ha ha! But I'm still working on some anatomy and still reading Loomis book for that!! it's great! What do you think I should do to improve my head drawing skillz? beside drawing some more I mean... I'm following what Loomis wrote but all my faces turned out looking alike....
    btw I saw your sketchbook and your drawing are AMAZING!!!

dierat - thanks thanks thanks!! yeah I like to do a bit of 3D as well but I'm not good at it neither! ha ha. Thanks for this tip as well!! your saving my life here ha ha... About the apple I saw that something was wrong too and maybe it's because of its edge. I didn't quite understand what you said above... should I makes its edges softer ??? because when I look at my apple I see sharp edges!! ha ha...

here are some head study:
    some are drawn from imagination some observing photos and copying other artists drawing (I know it's bad to do that but it helps me understand some form and how to place them ha ha)

Name:  Head-study01.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  155.3 KB

Name:  Head-study02.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  203.6 KB

And here a character a did for fun... btw thanks dierat!!! now I can do it!!

Name:  perso01.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  115.0 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.