Newborn - Adam Nichols Progress
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Newborn - Adam Nichols Progress

L.O.A.D.I.N.G

Just marking my territory and intent to enter this challenge. I will hopefully get some sketching and ideation done tonight based on a few ideas ive had already for this. From what Ive seen so far there are some incredible entries so I hope to rise to the challenge.

A few notes Im going to jot down here to remind myself over the course of this challenge are:

Topic: Newborn
    Due Date: 31 July 2009
    Weighting: 50% Idea Development, 50% Technique, 100% Original
    Idea Development: Narrative, Idea, Sotry, Symbolism, Design
    Technique: Composition, Execution, Presentation, Brushwork, Surfacing, Color and Value

Enjoy the ride people! share the artlove!
    Adam

Last edited by NicHolS; July 3rd, 2009 at 02:29 AM.
    --------------------------------------
    Adam Nichols
    Concept Artist

http://www.adamnichols.net

Sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=142444
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NicHolS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well Im sorry its taken me so long to get this posted but Im hoping to start making some regular entries from now on. The last few or so has been hectic and my internet access has been down for a while...

That aside here are the initial ideas I had for this challenge. I tried to brainstorm a whole stash of keywords which i believed fell under the term "Newborn" or the notionp; "to bring something into the world."

The 6 better topical ideas were:

1 a post op doctor laying outside the O.R. Im thinking he could either be really pleased and releaved or kinda shocked an horrified... with the horrified idea there may be blood trails leading to the door in the background.
    2 an upshot from the babies perspective seeing the doctors as godlike figures as s/he is born. potential for really angelic/religious and medical crossover here. always a very topical theme.
    3 the idea of a deamon being summoned by a group of teenage kids in what was original a spoof magical game gone wrong. perhaps a little too cliche but has loads of potential for good vibe, lighting and creature design.
    4 a spiritual awakening; the idea of being newborn or finding god. a person breaks down in a crowd, angelic godrays and volumetrics would make for some interesting visuals.
    5 that moment that you finally find your inner self. your calling. as an artist this would be the moment where you stop being what others made of you and you do your own thing. this idea really hits close to home for me actually.
    6 same as above only the skin is already fallen and the figure, blurred, is walking away... perhaps needs more development if i choose to do this one

heres the initial sketches and color thumbs. all seem to have loads of potential but im leaning towards no5 at the moment. if i get time i may do no 2 or 3 as well as i like both of their ideas.

FEEDBACK REALLY APPRECIATED! LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!

Thanks all! rock on!

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Adam Nichols
    Concept Artist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all, just a quick update again on one of the sketches i did earlier.

this is the idea of finding the inner direction as an artist (or whatever profession you do) I can only speak for myself and my personal experience and struggle with finding my own style and finding my own way in art in general. this image depicts that struggle and ultimately my new birth or direction. An artist is always changing, never staying still too long and always learning. that constant change and struggle is my idea for newborn.

next im going to try and define my palette, ive been working off of a quick swatch palette and some ref images for an initial starting point but want to really define it and push my colors with this image and make it as vibrant as i can without color overkill. atm i think its looking to be either a double complimentary or split complimentary color scheme but it may change and develop.

Adam Nichols
    Concept Artist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    an update with some progress shots... not having the net at home makes updating a little hard but ill try and get it fixed soon.

heres some poses, my initial palette direction, basic composition breakdown and a progress shot so far.

EDIT: not really feeling the pose, ive added some elements from other poses which i thought would make it more dynamic but im feeling it may have lost the original pose... may just revert to the original pose.

Adam Nichols
    Concept Artist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really do like your process. It helps. Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks interesting. Looking forward to more updates,keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i wish my colours were as good as yours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn good mate..awesom colours.. just a bit of a suggestion can you make the fall a bit more in 3 pointed.. like a completely offbalance tip?do refer those spring board dive poses and get inspired.
    its just my suggestion and also try taking the camera a bit low staring above at the subject .
    i will get back with a sketch to tell what i mean ..its just that im a bit busy.. but hey you can very well make it more rocking..
    great stuff man and dope colours indeed..

There is but one short cut to success...apparently its called Hardwork.

The Great Indian Mythology Character Design Trick - ( please do leave your comments on this sketchbook) http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=142727

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい! Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,052 Times in 943 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    thats very cool. I like the first color wip better tho, the one where the character is loosing his skin. It looks more dynamic and has more impact than the latest image.

I had a similar idea, i wanted to paint a crowd of people shading their skin like snakes but aww, had to stop working on it.

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The image looks spectacular, but I couldn't grasp the meaning without reading the description. It just looked like he was being destroyed. Actually, it made me think of that thread about reaching one's limit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow thanks for all the replies people, its been a bit quiet and i wasnt sure if people just didnt like where i was going ill try and revert a lot of my idea back to the original as most people have said the original looked more bold and i totally agree. ive added some more props to add to the narrative... didnt want to resort to props but clearly the message is a lot more metaphorical then literal. i dont want to slap people in the face with "newborn" by painting a baby as i think that kind of idea is a bit too obvious and not really interesting... i want people to read into my image. make people think a little harder. i think i was just making you all think too much. ill pull up a little and try to get it to the point where i can polish the details soon... that should be the fun part

again thanks for all the comments andfeedback@! please do let me know what you think. be honest!

adam

edit: latest update is focusing on making it less happy feeling... more surreal and fantasy... i really want to play up the red of his skin... as we all know red is passion, and art is passion... so i want him to feel visually stimulating. i also reworked some of the BG, its been giving me grief. need to cut back and work on my negative space a lot more too... worried its a bit cluttered atm.

Adam Nichols
    Concept Artist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh adam why? Unless you're trying to mess with our sense of stability why is he out of focus. He is the primary "focus" of the piece and yes pun intended. I like the expression on his face but it's like you've pushed him out of importance by making him fuzzy. Bring him back.....Good process by the way.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to buffichar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really liking where it's heading dude. Agreed with the blur though. if anything, I reckon be more selective with it's use?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by buffichar View Post
    Oh adam why? Unless you're trying to mess with our sense of stability why is he out of focus. He is the primary "focus" of the piece and yes pun intended. I like the expression on his face but it's like you've pushed him out of importance by making him fuzzy. Bring him back.....Good process by the way.
    oh darn youre right... hmm i did this just before saving it out so its still on a layer, easy to revert... ill blur the BG and maybe add some motion flicks to him instead ive decided. will try and revise this tonight after work... really appreciate the comments! thankyou

adam

Adam Nichols
    Concept Artist

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.