Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Awesome, I'd like build my own house too.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to La Ligne Noire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Peter, my father-in-law and I built the new garage next to the old one. We were going to keep both, but when my wife and I decided to build our house on their land, the old garage had to come down.

Okay, so yesterday, my father-in-law and I put in a new fence, to cordon off the backyard from the worksite. I took a few photos to show the process. I hope it shows I've got mad respect for this guy.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just some cleaning up of the worksite. We were supposed to build a tool shed this morning, but it's raining.

EDIT: Almost forgot, I've got all these leftover flagstones and I'm wondering what to do with them. Our architect was talking about placing a few randomly along the base of the outer walls, but that seemed tacky to me. So, any suggestions? Maybe in the kitchen, or bathroom somewhere?

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,594 Times in 1,790 Posts
    Store the stone out of the way safe. When you're done, do a double southern US stone wall knee-high as a kind of fence/raised flower bed and garden along one of the prop lines. If not enough, do it as a square or round spot in the yard for same use or as play area for future use. Google stone or found-stone fences down south. Minimal work and morter, and you'll develop some muksels where yinz needz 'em.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here are the plans for the house, just to give a better sense of the project.

Thanks
    Yay, progress! Definitely do not line the base of the house with flagstones. It will look bad. If you wanted to get fancy, you might be able to use them to make your showers/bathtubs or as the backsplash in the kitchen. You could use them as the 4 steps leading up to the rear and front entries...

Or...

You could pull an Andy Goldsworthy and make art! Check it out around 1:30 into the video.

I'll let you know if I think up any genius ideas for your flagstones. About how many are left?
    Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IanE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    here's a big update, sorry for the delay. Family and friends visiting, birthday's, fair, etc. We're about to visit the states to see my parents, so this is it for the next three weeks.

Thanks
    you could make the top floor a rooftop greenhouse and grow your own food, and install solar panels you could live free

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,109 Posts
    So digging this mate, thanks again for keeping us posted!
    Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

Thanks
    How big are the left-over flag stones? Depending on the size/shape they can be good for creating a nice border for raised flowerbeds, or a ground flush border for flowerbeds (which makes mowing much easier, and helps keep grass from spreading into the beds.)

You could also use them to hide/hold down the plastic liner for a self-made pond. They look very nice, and can actually be done for a reasonable price if it's DIY, but it's a LOT of work. (We dug ours by hand. 3 feet deep at the lowest point, and red clay is not fun to dig through). Not really sure if that's a good choice considering you've got a young child, and I don't know what the winters are like.

Thanks
    Wow, it's come such a long way, it's really exciting to see all of the pictures. After scrutinizing your house plans, I've come to the conclusion that I would never make it as an architect, it's too confusing, ha ha! Are you planning on a fireplace? Make you could tile that if you have one. Or make a small walkway if you have enough? Anyways, thanks for posting these photos, it's going to be amazing when it's done!
    ♥♥ SKETCHBOOK ♥♥ BLOG ♥♥ PORTFOLIO ♥♥ dA GALLERY ♥♥

If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life.
    - Albert Camus

Thanks
    Camsyko - we want solar panels. The way they do things here is they hook it up to your hot water. So I shouldn't feel so guilty taking a bath.

JailHouseRock2 - thanks! we're both going to love it much more once the studio's done.

Aphotic Phoenix - as it turns out, most of those flagstones were used as a base for the foundation (to pour concrete over, if you check the photos above). So it lookslike they're out of the picture. Ah well.

Linguini - we decided on a fireplace, since I like sitting by a nice fire and getting my feet warm, especially after walking in thick snow. Plus, with Slovakia getting all it's gas from Russia (who turned off the tap for a couple weeks last winter), it's nice to have an alternative heating option.

So here are some more pics. :

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm not sure why, but this thread is SUPER interesting to me for some reason. Keep updating us on your progress matey
    MY WEBSITE: PaintedSky.ca
    MY SKETCHBOOK: Ook's Book - Karyl Craves Your Approval

Thanks
    looking good, u should try having secret passages and stuff built into the house

Best of luck building yer house.

Thanks
    Yo dude, it's awesome ! Seeing your pics reminds me good memories when i builded up our actual house ( we began when i was 14, my bro was 12 and we worked there everyday after school with my dad ! ) Anway, i know it's not easy, so good luck dude !

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast