Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Newborn - various ideas (treechild, eggbaby, selfportrait)

Thanks

Newborn - various ideas (treechild, eggbaby, selfportrait)

I don't really have a single strong idea for this competition, so I'll try to develop a few and hopefully strengthen them as I go. It's very difficult thinking of something original and interesting that would also make a nice picture. I can't really think of anything beautiful and grand, but I'll keep working on it.

Here are three starting points I thought of - even if none of these ideas end up being strong enough for the competition, I'll finish them all anyway for practice .

1. Tree woman giving a seedling child to a 'Gardener' creature to plant.

Attachment 704417

2. Little person revealed in soft boiled egg.

Attachment 704418

3. Self portrait sketching surrounded by art materials, sketchbooks and canvases.

Attachment 704419
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Puck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i like idea 1 and 3. Actually i can see alot of potential in your 1st idea. You can play on the forrest idea abit

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NoriRoll For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,872 Times in 3,976 Posts
    I like the second one. Did the cooking do anything to it, I wonder?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback NoriRoll and Black Spot - yes, the cooking could be a problem for a baby... it might end up being more of a demon creature than a baby anyway (at the moment I'm playing with the idea of multiple limbs... I'm really not sure yet).

I've played around with all three sketches a bit more:

Just played with the colours and forms a bit.
    Attachment 707737

I changed it to be more of a baby shape; larger and more innocent looking. I think I'll try to make more out of the spoon and perhaps put a reflection of the person who had intended to eat the egg in there.
    Attachment 707738

I thought maybe I'd reverse the colours and make the art stuff more colourful and contrasty, and keep myself black and white. I don't intend it to be so 'hippyish' and colourful when it's finished though.
    Attachment 707739

I always end up rendering out my initial sketches, I think I need to allow myself to start afresh and try different compositions a bit more - I'll try that for the next update rather than just refining these.

All feedback is very welcome.

Thanks
    My favorite is the tree-picture.
    Maybe enlarge the canvas a litte to the lower side and paint a small way in that leads from the foreground to the people.
    Experiment some more on the tree, and make the baby a little smaller. The man would have a lot to carry right now ^^

The egg: I liked the creepy feeling of the first sketch more. Because it was such an demomic deformed thing. If I ever see such a thing in my sunday morning egg I will scream like a child.

The last one is a nice composition with nice colors, but I definetly prefer the other two.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Vaejoun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Idea one is really good, i would love to see the complete piece. But the egg baby sorta makes me squirm, which means that it will be a powerful one.

I might consider not eating eggs for the week. @_@

12. The Following User Says Thank You to shamandalie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I love all your ideas.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to C0mBineD For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thumbs up

Cool work and good ideas. I like the tree sketch the best. I is quite suggestive of some kind of unusual location - feels a bit like a building site or maybe shanti town - which adds a intriguing aspect. The egg sketch is hard to look at for obviuos reasons - it is quite a powerful image in it own right but I think it needs to be part of a larger context/story. I also like the artist in the studio it is a very strong study in its own right, I think it could really take flight if there was an aspect thats was unexpected. I like the eay the artist is in mono and the creations are in vvid colours. This could be taken as a theme perhaps by making the creations literally come to life - coming out the paintings and sketch books? This could then be suggestive of a mundane reality (mono), and a dreaming/creative (colour) reality of the artworks. Looking forwward to see waht happens next!
    Mind made worlds.

www.alexkellyart.co.uk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to graphicgolem For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have an idea from reading the beginning of the last post. What if you combine all 3 sketches into one powerful image? All 3 have certain aspects that tends to grasp the viewer. Keep the tree in the first one the egg in the second and self portrait image and combine it into one. Imagine this you take the tree and make as if it is going to eat the egg baby "its fines grasping onto the egg to pick it up" and then the self portrait sketching the scene as it happens like a life drawing.

This is all based on personal opinion though.

Ferdi
    Just call me Ferdi

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ferdinand Venter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    I like the egg one best, although the tree is good too. Not really sure how the self portrait ties into newborn though.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Vaejoun - good suggestions - I'll be doing a few variations on the composition to get it to work better. Yes that baby is way too large for the poor gardener (Although it should be a bit bigger than a 'human' baby; that's why they need the wheelbarrow). I might take the egg baby back towards the creepiness.

Thanks Shamandalie - yes, I like my eggs, but have always had an fear that I'll find a little chicken foetus in one.

Thanks Combined - I'll keep developing all of them.

Thanks Graphicgolem - I know what you mean about the egg image, that's what I feel is really weak about it. It's only got the shock value, no story or anything really interesting apart from that - I'm trying to think of some context I can put it in but so far it alludes me - any ideas? That's the idea of the self portrait - I haven't worked it up much yet, but it should have things coming alive whereas I'm not alive (just living through my art).

Thanks Ferdinand Venter - I hadn't thought of doing that, and I'm not sure how I'd make it all feel like the same universe - I may try to put the self portrait into the other two (but not as an artist, but rather a character in the scene). I appreciate the idea though!

Thanks Liffey - The self portrait would be 'brining art into the world' rather than having a literal "newborn" - it's still a very rough idea and I'll work on it more.

Thanks for all the feedback people!

I've done a pencil sketch of the tree image to try to work out the character a bit more and done a quick Photoshop colouring. Inspired by the multi-limbed figures that I always enjoy in Algenpfleger's awesome sketchbook - I had the idea that the tree mother would be constructed with lots of legs and arms the way a tree has multiple branches and roots.

Attachment 711851 Attachment 711852

Thanks
    I like the latest development of the your tree dryad design! It makes logical sense and it is something that I have not really seen before. I do have a suggestion for the baby though! It looks a little too much like an 'alien' right now and not very plant-like. I think what will honestly help is doing what you were trying to do with your second idea; but instead of an egg you can use a flower! I think that will emphasize the innocence of the child, as well prelude to the new 'blossom'. It's just a thought, but it is totally up to you and I'm excited to see what you come up with!!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Rissa G For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I like the egg baby the best. I think it's uniquely weird and doesn't feel cliche in the least. I'd love to see it where the baby is pouting, like he's piised that someone bothered him by opening his shell.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sheff For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast