Spiderman
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Spiderman

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Spiderman

My version of Spiderman critics are welcome.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, I’m sure you’ve heard everyone say this to someone else at some point or another, but you definitely need to study the male anatomy.

I know this may sounds cruel, but the only thing I like in this image is the text; the text looks great. I have never seen anyone’s arm or muscles do what his are doing right now… and it looks like his forearm is being ripped off; it must hurt a lot because his eyes on his mask look to be filling up with lots of tears.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Studying the anatomy will help--

Your main problem with this piece is that his arm has muscles down to his elbow, and then turns bone thin literally. --No other part on his body follows this pattern, so it doesn't look intentional. Also, his abs seem to have wayyyy to many muscles.

Your coloring is decent, and in the meantime while doing some anatomy studies, while drawing compare your drawing to yourself.
    Hold your forearm out and say "does this look like what is on the page" if you can't find a reference pic for what you like, your body is your best place to double check.

Those are two main things though, his arm, and those abs, in my opinion, are really dragging this image down. The image has potential otherwise.

"Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by David_a_ray View Post
    I know this may sounds cruel, but the only thing I like in this image is the text; the text looks great.
    I'm pretty sure he found a picture of the text online - it looks like a low-res copy of the title that they used (still use?) in the comics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by David_a_ray View Post
    Dude, I’m sure you’ve heard everyone say this to someone else at some point or another, but you definitely need to study the male anatomy.

I know this may sounds cruel, but the only thing I like in this image is the text; the text looks great. I have never seen anyone’s arm or muscles do what his are doing right now… and it looks like his forearm is being ripped off; it must hurt a lot because his eyes on his mask look to be filling up with lots of tears.
    Dude, I`ve seen your work and i have to say the only thing i like was, oh wait a minute ,there was nothing i liked i had observed the less talented here are the more cruel ones. I wonder why is that?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spiderman has always been a personal fav, and when I was growing up I was constantly drawing from comics. Just keep practicing man. There is a lot that is really blurry in the pic that I would like to see actually drawn out. But yeah keep at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by hala View Post
    Studying the anatomy will help--

Your main problem with this piece is that his arm has muscles down to his elbow, and then turns bone thin literally. --No other part on his body follows this pattern, so it doesn't look intentional. Also, his abs seem to have wayyyy to many muscles.

Your coloring is decent, and in the meantime while doing some anatomy studies, while drawing compare your drawing to yourself.
    Hold your forearm out and say "does this look like what is on the page" if you can't find a reference pic for what you like, your body is your best place to double check.

Those are two main things though, his arm, and those abs, in my opinion, are really dragging this image down. The image has potential otherwise.
    This is a constructive and useful critique. Awsome.

The other comments made (with the exception of MassDets, who posted while I was writing this) are only a sliver above useless and serve more towards turning this thread into a "worst of" rather than help the original poster. If you feel the need to be condescending to someone putting themselves out there for criticism then you are an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by notengo View Post
    Dude, I`ve seen your work and i have to say the only thing i like was, oh wait a minute ,there was nothing i liked i had observed the less talented here are the more cruel ones. I wonder why is that?
    Notengo, cool your jets. If you post work for critique, and somebody gives you something useless, just move on quietly. All you get by posturing up is a fight. You didn't post here to fight, you posted to learn about art.

Rock on!

...my humble and uneducated opinion.

-Nate

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mute For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Non - there is no defined light source, I have no idea where this character is or what he's doing, he has 53 abdominal muscles, no neck, no part of the body is in proportion to any other, and his arm is made of silly putty.

You can either whine, or learn your basics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by notengo View Post
    Well, guess what. I don’t like my stuff either... in fact, I like it less than anyone here ever could.

Going back now and reading my “critique” (if you could call it that) I see that it was completely useless. Normally I try to be constructive when I critique; I’ve had a pretty stressful week this week, and I suppose I took it out on you, and for that I apologize. When someone puts a lot of work into something they don’t need someone coming and bashing just for the sake of bashing like I did. So again, you have my most humble apology.
    I suppose what I wanted to point out in your image has already been pointed out so, I won’t trouble you with a re-hash. Keep working at it friend, you’ll get there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

spidey crit

I agree with most of the things said here, but... I still like the piece. When I saw it , didn't think of any anatomy issues. I saw it as a different style with everything exagerated on purpose. Am I right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's the BUNNY!! Run Spiderman, RUNNN!!!

LOL!!

----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to George Abraham For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, like everyone said studying anatomy will help alot....

i like your composition and the pose you chose, shows alot of potential.....especially the killer rabbit

i went to school and studied anatomy ect, still not great at it.....but a nice tool i've just found is a program called 3d Daz.......you can get a lot of models for free and pose them in 3d at various angles for reference and practice.

best thing to do is study from life though, not sure how old you are or if your college age yet.......but life drawing classes are the best.....i wish i had took more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the concept of this piece and the colouring. But the composition feels a little cramped. There's too much that's out of focus in a very uniform way - focus is relative to distance. Perhaps as you're doing anatomy refs you could experiment with camera focusing too.

Make your canvas larger and more spaced out, think about composition and use lots of refs. Hope that helps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You already know to work on anatomy, so I'll go on to the other things.

The picture as a whole, I think, is a bit hard to read. I can see some reflection on the ground, so I suppose he's landed, but the way the web is shot makes him look like he's in the air, as well as how the other leg would be going through the ground if he was landed at the moment. The background, overall, seems extremely rough. I suggest tightening that up firsthand.
    Also, wouldn't we be able to see his right arm too?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

I like your colors and the basic layout.

Be careful not to go too wild with the blurring. The gargoyle in the foreground is a little overpowering to the rest of the composition. Not just because of the blur, but mostly because of its size and placement.

As mentioned above, practice practice practice your anatomy. drawing from photos or live people will help over time. be sure to get your anatomy, proportions, pose and layout all locked in before you start spending too much time on the details.

If your image is wider than the rest of the posts in the thread then you should probably make it smaller. From 500 to 1000 pixels wide is usually good.

Try not to type angry replies if you can help it. Everyone will think you're pretty neat if you reply thoughtfully and keep working to improve. Read through all the feedback and hopefully there will be some bits that help you. Thank people if appropriate.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you guys very much for all your comments, Im sorry i loose my temper for a while. Its just it took me some time to draw the picture and those first critics were just to destructive and agressive and i feel the need to defend myself and my art, but i understand what your saying. I will keep what Mute told me in mind "You didn't post here to fight, you posted to learn about art", youre rigth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The brutality of the first critique shouldn't necessarily be discarded though. While there was nothing offered in terms of how to make it better, the negatives still point that out. Namely the reference to not knowing anatomy. If someone said you don't know anatomy, they shouldn't need to tell you to study it.

The point I'm making is that instead of getting pissed, try to think about why they are saying what they are, and think about ways to improving. It makes negative criticism better.

If someone just comes right out and says your stuff is crap without offering other details, feel free to drop kick them in the teeth.

Jarett
    AIM: JarwaStudios
    jarwastudios@gmail.com
    Jarwa Studios

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I remember when I posted one of my forst pics here and got a simmilar reaction, I was kind of pissed too ^^ But at the end I took seriously and tried to learn from it.

Besides just training basics, like buildings anatomy and so on, I would say you should plan your picture more.

Dont try do just start a picture without really knowing what you want to do. In most cases that doesnt work, or makes it unnecessary more difficult.
    You have an idea, start with sketches and even if you think "hey that could be it" dont stop. Overdo it some more times, maybe you get an even better idea. ;P

Try to think about: Where is the light, what do I want to show and how ?
    Spidy has outlines on some parts and on other parts he doesnt. That wont work.

Dont give up, just start again ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok its not finished yet just need some advice here of what is still wrong. I hope the proportions are ok now.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by notengo; December 9th, 2009 at 06:37 PM. Reason: the image dont upload

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your skills have certainly improved. I don't know if you should continue building on top of this image, though, as there were numerous problems with it that you may correct better simply by starting with a fresh slate. You can use a similar composition and such, but I think the old image is hindering your progress here. The general shape of the eyes, for example, is still a bit wonky.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the moon is out, yet it is raining?

i agreee, you have improved .

i think the spidermans hip and buttocks is still a bit too wide... imo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes, it looks better. Maybe you should work the hand too, its a little confusing, but maybe you just want to focus the attention on the face....

leus

pd: whats the problem with the moon and the rain?

Members who have read this thread: 1