Strengths and Weaknesses
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Strengths and Weaknesses

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Strengths and Weaknesses

If you only have time or energy to link me to other artists with a similar theme or style, I'd greatly appreciate it! I don't expect a full critique, but it would help me most.

This was a themed contest entry based on Sci-fi, I wanted to recreate the impressive feeling of climbing out of Chernobyl reactor 4 to find the alien monolith glowing overhead in STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl

My intent:
    I was trying my best to capture the cavernous feel of the sarcophagus, and the heavy air. I used a bit of artistic liberty with the actual setting, and tried to get a bit of a fisheye effect since I've been on a trip of warping perspective for some time. Already I can tell its in need of a lot of help.

Where is this piece strong, where is it lacking, what should I start on first to repair it?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The ground the monolith is on is cutting the piece in two. If you lowered it a bit and elongated the monolith it would be more imposing. Also make the top perspective more extreme. Keep what he’s on but move it to the right a bit.

Neat idea.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, I really appreciate your input.

I'll go ahead and redraw tonight while I'm at work, see if I can push that perspective like you're talking about, and see if I can make that ledge more subtle in the image...hmm.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with blackspot--
    if you want to hint at the fish eye, any lines that are running off the edges of the canvas have to be way more distorted to give the impression of a lense. as of now all the lines seem to be too linear for fish eye-- I don't see the fish eye at all.

Other than that it looks like a great start
    Don't know much about sci-fi works really, so I don't know where ot direct you to for similar works. Only thing I can suggest is maybe to look on Massive Black's website, at some of their illustrations and concept work---they have a couple scifi things there. Also,check this thread : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=152372

"Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.