Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: HammChops - Back after hiatus with crappy sketches

Thanks
    I'm noticing improvement. You're line confidence has sky rocketed. Just curious, what medium do use for your shading? I'd love to see some portraits.

Keep it up, I'll drop by often.

Sketch Group
    [Working Title/We Need More Members]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Valve Hey, thanks again. Well, I mostly use just a regular 0.5 mechanical pencil. On poses, or whenever I feel like testing myself with permanent lines, I use a "0.5 needle point" BIC pen (at least that's what it says on sticker). And hey, if you keep dropping by, I'll be sure to keep checking out your stuff

And speaking of portraits, I looked up this "MMA Photography" that a lot of people seem to be using, and did some studies from there. They're not exactly portraits, but there's a bunch of faces.
    "Success comes from experience, experience comes from mistakes."

Hamms's Daily Chops

Sketch Group
    Hamms : Valve

Thanks
    Hey there, nice work in here!

you started out this sketchbook strong and I'm already seeing good progress in here. Your anatomy looks like its getting nice and strong, lets see some more studies though, also try out doing more from your imagination with what you're learning.

I smell good potential in this sketchbook, update often please!

Thanks
    AustenFM Thanks! And yeah, I need to do more studies again, thanks for pointing that out. It's nice to have someone remind you what you should be doing instead of what you want... And does daily updates sound good enough?

Just some poses for today, but ill have more tomorrow.

Hamms's Daily Chops

Sketch Group

Thanks
    So after seeing all your pose maniac stuff I was inspired to do it myself. And I suck at it . Any suggestions. I'll post the stuff I did later.

I used to just use mechanical pencils too and I found problems in getting good contrast. You would be very surprised how much a good set of drawing pencils could do for you. I suggest investing.

http://basangpanaginip.blogspot.com/...downloads.html (drawing book downloads) can help you out tremendously. I am pretty sure the files are safe I have downloaded them all a while ago and nothing bad has happened to my computer yet.

Keep it up

Sketch Group

Thanks
    ur a warrior!

Thanks
    Valve Heh, nice to know my influence is spreading. Drawing pencils? I'll have to find some next time I stock up on sketchbooks. And thanks for the downloads link! That'll definitely come in handy!
    For the posemaniacs, I started out doing 45 second or full minute sketches. Just try to get the major shapes of the body down, don't worry about every angle at first, or even always completing every figure. Just do a half page of them every day and you'll find the poses becoming easier to understand and draw.
    Once you start feeling comfortable, begin increasing the speed.

Joce Yes. Yes I am. Thank you.

Poses, Bridgman neck studies, and some doodles. And yes, three uploads this time!

Hamms's Daily Chops

Sketch Group

Thanks
    Hey there Hamms! I love all your studies. I love to draw and paint but my biggest issue is drawing humans. I've always had problems with it. I tried studying Loomis and I do some practice and try to make a habit but after about a day or two I end up forgetting about it. lol. Any advice? Great work! Will definatly be checking it out every day!

-Chantz

Thanks
    First off, I deeply, deeply apology for yesterday's missing updates. This sketchbook is supposedly update daily, and, well, I was unable to post last night. The story goes like this:

Our outside pole light was "fixed" to shut off at a certain time at night (usually around when I post) and last night, when it shut off, it tripped the breaker it was on. Unfortunately, our internet router is attached to the same breaker, so when the light went out, so did my internet connection.

Chantz Hegemann Thanks! Advice? Hmm... The number one thing I'd say is get in the habit of drawing every day, at the same time (at a time you know you can make every day), if only for 5 minutes. This is important as it helps bring a level of familiarity when drawing, and makes it a part of your schedule so your less likely to forget. Once you get in the habit, its just a matter of not getting in the mindset of "having to study" but "wanting to study". It's boring, it's slow, and most of the time (if you do it right ) it looks terrible.
    This is a good thing.
    Once you pick out your problem areas, make a note of it on your sketchbook somewhere, like the cover. Now, whenever you do your daily drawing, get nice and loose, broken in, and pick out something on your list to do. Anything. Doesn't have to be in any order, just pick something, like hands or feet or solar plexis. Go look up reference and models, and draw from that. Do at least a page a day, and if you feel bored after that, draw something you want to. Don't get bogged down and discouraged by doing study after study because...
    The MOST important thing to do is to focus when studying, and get something out of it. Look at what you're drawing, and what it's supposed to look like. Make notes, look at your own body, just make sure you're drawing not just to use paper. It's called studying because it helps you learn.
    If you have trouble getting motivated, I usually find that keeping an inspiration folder on the desktop, filled with your favorite pieces of art, and looking through that before sketching gets me in the mood. Also change your desktop background to something awesome and inspiring (like this).

Whew, I hope that helps. It's mostly what I do myself, so it might not work for you, but don't get discouraged and good luck!

However I intend to make it up today with a double dosing of poses, studies, and even some environments. The truth is, I really love environments, even more than character or weapon designs. Each and every piece is usually epic, and looks awesome, and holds so much detail in each it. I don't know why I haven't posted many before, but I would love to improve my environment skills just as much as my anatomy.
    Also, to celebrate page three and over 1000 views (pathetic, isn't it?) as well as apology for yesterday, I present a digital piece I've been working on and off on for awhile.
    Last edited by Hamms; July 28th, 2009 at 10:07 PM.

Hamms's Daily Chops

Sketch Group

Thanks
    Nice sketchbook Hamms, I'm really loving all the posemaniacs pages. It reminds me of some of the massive pages that other artists do on here. What I like most though is the environments you've done in the small boxes. You should take those over to photoshop and see what you can do with them.

Thanks
    Hahaha that star wars picture made me laugh so hard you have no idea. Thank you so much for the advice. Its just every time I sit down and take a look at something like bridgman or loomis I just get swamped and confused as where to start... As for making a list of my biggest problems on the cover of my sketchbook...phew thats gonna be a big list lol. Thanks again for the help, and i'll keep lurkin in your sketch book. Great eviroments, btw!

-Chantz

Thanks
    Phratello Thanks! I'll be sure to try that, but I might not post them, I'm still a photoshop noob.

Chantz Hegemann Thanks, and your welcome. I know the feeling, that's how I felt when I first started out, but just take things bit by bit, and it's easier.

Miserable day today. I just couldn't focus on any studies, and they all turned into meaningless scribbles. Right now I think my biggest problem is form and shape... anyone got any tips or resources?

Hamms's Daily Chops

Sketch Group

Thanks
    OOooo. I'm digging the environments and your posemaniacs are looking stellar. Maybe bump on the contrast of your scanner for your last image. I need to post my stuff but I'm to lazy to take the time to do it .

I was wondering if you'd be interested in doing a little "art project". We'd both work with a similar concept and have a deadline of next friday.

Sketch Group

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast