Sketchbook: Keep-Going SKETCHBOOK - Updated on 3rd March - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see I see ! when the cat leaves, mouses are dancing . you work well dear... but where is the collab ?? ;p lol I joke , take your time ^___^

so for your 1st personal project, I still think that the mouth is too much in the right as I said on the file I sent you ^^' and the nose is too little, I think! (and you didn't get the shoulders up . ) lol XD but your new concept looks realy interesting !!!
    for the 2nd one can't wait to see more !!

see you momyyy

:o !! and this hand XD lol (on the collab) horrible we need to work on it !! lol

Sorry, I'm bad in critics !!! (and english :o !) XD

My Sketchbook
    My DeviantArt Page
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to whisperss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Blacky (hehe, borrowed from your title)

As far as your question concerning studying anatomy digitally or traditionally; the traditional way is better because you are studying directly from life. The traditional approach stressed the need to first focus on intensively studying the human anatomy and building up your drawing skills before moving on to painting and other mediums. I also prefer not being in front of a screen so much; though, I definitely have done figure studies digitally (photo studies n such).

Well, in the end, you decide for yourself how you want to learn but there are certainly ways of improving faster and better. Getting a mentor of some sort will help. Attending an atelier will also help tremendously (that's what I'm doing).

Keep studying the bones and muscles and keep doing Loomis. You'll learn a lot!

Blog
    Sketchbook

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peetaer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More fruits and vegetables plx .. digging the recent updates since the last time I dropped by (seems like many moons ago). I like that you're starting to introduce all kinds of subjects to your work, keep up with the surprises.

Sketchbook

Insert very insightful quotes here ...
    - get back to work!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to strings For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    GweNdZ - Thank you hun! Will work some more on it very soon..

ohnojenny - Hey! Don't worry, i've bin away too..went all over the place! Every thing's all right as long as you draw
    And thank you very much! Your words give me more strength!! And on female proportions..just concentrate when drawing, and remember the 7-8 heads length

elddonnemar - You just have to try your best and satisfy yourself: don't let little mistakes, make it perfect! In your eyes that is heh :3
    And thank you for the ideas! I now have a nice jungle flower idea, and i changed the bowl just for a sec: i want to make the background first ( i want to get a nice flow)

Black Spot - Float away? I guess you mean to add more shading to it? And i am just roughly doing the highlights and the shadow; it may not seem like it, but that's how i do it

MattGamer - Thank you Matt! I am trying to vary it as much as i can, to keep me going for a longer time: if i vary them, then i don't need breaks

JailHouseRock2 - Thank you so much Matt! Though i don't know what is so impressing about it.. but thank you so much for pointing out the background!! I shall pay attention and lay less information there!
    About your thread, you're doing so well on your own, you don't need any help!! Just a little reminder that you need to keep at it from time to time is all you really need.!

Nisshoku - Heh, you are flattering me! Thank you dear, thank you very much. And i try to do as much as i can over the summer..About the girl, i'm on it!

Pretty_Angel - I was away a bit myself. Hope you are well.
    And i am not so good with refining because i need to study more first. So i'll work on her as i go with my anatomy. And at the same time, i'll look if i corrected every hint you guys gave me.

whisperss - >///< eer~ no...mommy..it's a mistake! *panic* it's your imagination! ^^" hehe *hugs*

and i know where i need to improve it, but i want to get a little bit more down on anatomy before i go on
    and with concept you mean the 2nd girl pose i'm working on?
    i'll have a blast with the shiny bits on that one!

Peetaer - heh~ a lot of persons call me that ^^
    thank you very much for sharing the info! and i think i shall do a little bit from both, to keep in shape, but i shall concentrate on traditional drawing more

strings - ok, ok, i'll try! ^^ and i vary them to keep me working more, and not get bored or tired; if i see a new shiny toy i get distracted from my sleeping state so to say ^__^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so i am back from my trips in Hungary and Austria, also i don't think i'll be going to the mountains again to soon. Though i may be going back to Vienna soon if our school semester starts later on (meaning on 25th of September)

I draw a little bit of landscape too this time, and i shall start that self portrait soon!!!
    I won't neglect my current wips either.

I TRIED, i don't think i succeeded, (but i tried) to draw JailHouseRock2 and Griney. I am horrible when it comes to speedies. Another 5h on this and more blending and more eraser-made-highlights and perhaps i would have bin satisfied LOL.

Anyway, next up are some more bone studies, anatomy, and then i shall get back to the ladies, the bowl and so on.

PS. I edited the colours on some of the sketches, and on some i added a little saturation to make it more shiny-magic like, in my style.

Attached Images Attached Images                        
    Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cristina Zabava For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice improvment ! Try to flip horizontaly your drawings ( i usually see my fliped drawings in front of a window :p ) But generally, try to think of simple shapes ! boxes, spheres, etc, and set up properly the perspective ( find the horizontal line first, it helps a lot ) Still lifes will be easier this way ! Keep it up !

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kikindaface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BlackDelphin: Great progress over the 5 pages of work. I'm digging your anatomy, bug, and fruit studies. Strong color and lighting on the apple studies. Keep it up the color in your work it's vibrate and confident. Great work!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ninjac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sketchbook! you got the talent, with consistency and hard work you will be great, keep pushing yourself

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

"There are no miracles, no tricks or secrets, only hard work. "

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny_K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice doodles! Though I must admit I wait eagerly for your painting updates.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pretty_Angel For This Useful Post:

Pixie Trick is offline Industrial Design of the Week Leader
    Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you need to start looking a bit more closely at things. Perhaps a negative space exercise would help you. Take a bicycle, a stool, a chair, a small plant even, and draw just the places where the object isn't. If you can tell what it is after, you know you've done a decent job.

If you imagine everything to be square or rectangle, or just a simpler shape, it can help a lot. 1) It can help you understand why your shapes aren't looking right on a more complex object, and 2) help you make and apply observations about shadows and lights. I've done a little thingie as an example of what I think Walid D means (my perspective is off, but you can still get the idea). 1) is just a rough. You can see that right now, where the cup is supposedly touching the box, should actually be inside it. 2) If the light were coming from the side of the box we can't see, you can tell where the darkest shadow would fall on all the objects.

Name:  bdpaintover1.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  92.0 KB Name:  bdpaintover2.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  82.4 KB

Also, going to the community mentoring thread might give you a few other exercises to play with. Link I suggest yoitisi's thread for anything perspective related.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixie Trick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of great sketches! The bone studies on the previous page were really awesome. You seem to have the most trouble with perspective and objects that have straight edges (I feel your pain!), so I would suggest working on that. I'm going to have a look at the threads Pixie Trick linked to - I bet they'll be helpful.

--
    Paper Nautilus
    Sketchblog
    CA Sketchbook
    Twitter
    DeviantArt page

If you want to live an interesting life, you're going to spend half of it being terrified.
    -Mary Hollinshead

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Cacodaemonia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol beware of my eyes : _
    XD
    It's great to see how you're serious with sketchs !!
    For the "new concept" I spoke about your peackock lady !!
    A shiny bird !! Super !!!

see you *hug*

Sorry, I'm bad in critics !!! (and english :o !) XD

My Sketchbook
    My DeviantArt Page

22. The Following User Says Thank You to whisperss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YOur progress is beautiful! keep it up

"Artists who seek perfection in everything
    are those who don't achieve it in anything"
    ~Eugene De La Croix

Deviantart~♥~ twitter~♥~ Blog ~♥~ IFX ~♥~ Sketchbook

24. The Following User Says Thank You to GweNdZ For This Useful Post:

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

A lot of nice potential you have here. Those apples look good enough to eat!

The Loomis studies are good to do, and you're getting better all the time. Keep working at it!

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

26. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Walid D - Aah yes! The horizon line!! Why do i keep forgetting that!? >_< And about the keep it simple thinking: thanks! I just started trying that more often.

Ninjac - Thank you very much! I was a very non confident person when it came to saturated colours actually, but that changed with practice!

Danny_K - thank you so much!
    i am pushing!

Pretty_Angel - Heh, thank you..i will be working on those again shortly. Trying to get those bones done before school start: working bit by bit on the digital stuff then seems easier to me.

Pixie Trick - Your words and your correction on that still of mine really helped me A LOT; but funny enough, i applied the info for the first time on a portrait, not on a chair or something like that xD
    And it is really interesting when i have the example under my nose! To see how you made those shapes into even more simple shapes, and apply shadow n such so accurately
    Thank you for the link and i will show you my improvements soon!

Cacodaemonia - Thanks a lot mate! Yes, i am trying to work on that, and on a lot of other things too! >_< TO many things that i want to do at the same time!!!
    Thanks for dropping by~

whisperss - Aaah! Thank you mommy!! And i am trying to do as much as i can right now! And don't worry, i am working on our collab from the shadow right now~ doing some serious shoulder-arm-hand bone studies, and very soon i am moving to muscles!!
    Take care dear~

GweNdZ - Thank you so much!! You guys keep me going!! ~

p sage - Thank you!! I shall work hard! And seeing your thread being updated all the time is a true inspiration!! So be sure that i am thinking about your thread when i draw posemaniacs now

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think i won't be leaving anywhere to soon from now on, and after all school is starting!!
    And OMG!!! in 49 days my 18th birthday will be here!!
    I am a bit nervous, i must say ^^'
    I want to get as much better as i can till then!!

So i started doing my bone studies with even more concentration, and what do you know!? I can do a full set (3 angles on a bone) in 1h now!! With texture and full understanding of its function Yey!

I also tried a landscape thingy, witch terribly backfired I actually made the bush on the left more detailed, but decided to gaussian blur it a bit, and when i wanted to make it all better again, there was no more file to restore >_<
    So any tips on landscape painting?!
    And Matt , a little bit of help on this landscape here for example would be nice..or do you suggest i start with something more easy? or.. Anyways, thank you for offering your help!! You're one of my best friends and advisor for sure

And my pc has bin acting strange lately, so i am sorry if i will vanish suddenly!~

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Cristina, don't worry about the enviro i suck hard at them too.
    But as for suggestions your perspective in this piece is simply not there, look at the refference. The tower looks flat you could make those edge highlights very very thin and bring some light in front of it, to make it pop out more. But you managed to do the water right, it feels natural,but could be less sketchy. Anyways good job at it!
    Next time pick Biiiiiig brush and block with it, after that simply start sculpting the image. You can use some custom brushes to make shitty things like bricks fast

P.S Yeah i admit, this is rather harder one to paint. There is alot of saturation and contrast going on, and eyes are being distracted very easy. On the long run there is not lot places for viewers eyes to rest.

P.S P.S Where is that Self portrait!? XD

Last edited by Icecold; September 7th, 2009 at 05:50 AM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Icecold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, nice stuff here!

I think you should draw the landscape first to make it easier to paint. You can then paint over the line art in a new layer and hide it when you're done.

Watch the curves/angles on the original painting.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to scorpion007 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, thanks.
    Well here we go, I'm about to make a complete fool of myself, but oh well
    And if I repeat what others have said before me, please forgive.

First off the perspective in your piece is... well off. No matter how well you render and paint an incorrect drawing its never going to look right.
    So I think you should spend a bit longer getting the form in the first sketch right, just measure the distances between objects more.

The drawing doesn't need detailed, just rough everything in the right place.

After that just add a new layer under the lines, and fill it in with a mid colour. Then another layer and block in the basic colours. (I still like to colour pick colour, and don't really think of it as cheating
    And ALWAYS use a big round hard brush when blocking in colour at the start, and I tend to use the default round brush though the whole painting, with opacity and flow set to pen pressure. And some texture and leaf brushes sometimes, but don't over use them.

From there, just keep working out, background first, them foreground.
    Try to keep the BG more rough and the FG more detailed, this should help with depth.

Anyway here's a quick gif to show you what I mean.
    Hope this helped!!!

Take care Cristina
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The bone studies look great! About the environment I'd second everything that Matt has said (and illustrated so awesomely). With a little practise you can do that too. Don't give up!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Pretty_Angel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa, happy (early) birthday! Hope you get what you want!

JailhouseRock2's help looks really good. Hope that helps ya.

And it's good to see your update, too. Don't ever give it up!

How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

37. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great bone studies! Go Christina! You rock!
    Matt's critique and advice was very helpful, thanks Matt

Don't hurt yourself, dear. I totally SUCK at environments! XP I actually commit suicide every time I do an environ....that must mean I've killed myself too many times...lawl! ^w^

"Artists who seek perfection in everything
    are those who don't achieve it in anything"
    ~Eugene De La Croix

Deviantart~♥~ twitter~♥~ Blog ~♥~ IFX ~♥~ Sketchbook

39. The Following User Says Thank You to GweNdZ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    good work on the studies and the environments will come when you practice them more.

i got a good environment speedpainting tutorial here. check it out. YOU'RE WELCOME!

41. The Following User Says Thank You to MattGamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    C'mon, Blackie! Yoo kan doo it!

How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

43. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Icecold - Yes, will redo this one, and you can expect improvement!
    And i shall try some black n white stuff too, some desert more like environments and see where i land
    Eer..the self portrait..you mean the digital one? CUzz the traditional one should be the one i just had posted.

scorpion007 - Thank you ^^ I guess i should do with landscapes, the same as i do with my still life for example. Will sketch out next time.!

JailHouseRock2 - Matt...what can i say?! That was fast!! And thank you so much! You did a great job on it too! I will try repainting it now that i saw how you do your stuff and all. Expect it to be better!

Pretty_Angel - I can't give up even if i want to! When i see awesome stuff like what Matt just did, i get all excited and end up drawing! Heh Thank you dear! Expect more environments.

p sage - Thank you very much! I am already so excited and nervous about my birthday!!! And Matt was really sweet indeed. I still can't believe how fast he was too! And i now carry a little note thingy everywhere in my jeans, so yeah! I draw more

GweNdZ - Thank you sweety! Now do the same and update more!! And LOL don't go all suicide, eat some bananas to make you happy and start again Plus i chase the dream, not the competition

MattGamer - Look at those awesome stuff from the link you gave!! And those have links in them too!! Thank you very much!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other day i was about to catch a cold (played outside tennis non stop for like 3-4h again on a chilly weather so yeah xD it was expected) But i had a nice hot soup with rest and a worm shower before bed, so now i am all better! And i go better dressed at tennis too. But still 4h :p

So i went all traditional this time to.
    I know, i know...i will work digitally >_<

And i have a little notepad thingy that i take with me in my jeans so i draw more now!
    And lucky me, i tie my hair a lot, so i can put a little pencil in there without people noticing it. :3

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa, you're really working hard. I love the scapula. Great studies!

How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

46. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo babe! sry for not beeing in here enough. I feel like a d%k!
    I want more color. collors speaks to the soul!
    Cheers! and I will come back here more often.

Bjrn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

48. The Following User Says Thank You to B-Man For This Useful Post:

Lusaka, Zambia. Willing to relocate to anywhere in the world.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool environment paintings & i really like your magical characters

DRAW UNTILL IT HURTS
    AND THEN DRAW SOME MORE

50. The Following User Says Thank You to miycko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    p sage - Look who;s talking!! You should take a look at your own daily activities! I for one consider that you work harder and do a lot of studies every day. And thank you.

B-Man - Hey there to you too! But could you stop the baby part..it's a bit annoying ^^' And i am working on it! Thinking up some colour combination actually~
    Thanks! Will be glad to see you!

miycko - Thank you very much! Those are ones of my best.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    More studies this morning!!
    I'm starting to put them together, as you can see

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

52. The Following User Says Thank You to Cristina Zabava For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no problem. Ill just call you Blacky then, if its alright?
    Bones, I never found drawing bones helpful... Then again, I didnt like colors untill I started busting my ass using em. Cheers!

Bjrn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

54. The Following User Says Thank You to B-Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    B-Man - Perfect
    LoL! Well, i for one find them fun to draw and help me think well in proportion

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so i was very happy and calm today, so i though it's the perfect time to start that environment again.
    Started doing it just as Matt said, and i think i have a better idea now of what details to paint, and what not. I can't wait to finish this!! But also i can't wait to start another one!
    And for speed's sake i eyedroped this time, but if the result will be ok, i shall try to do that more rare. Plus i like adding my own vibrant colours so..

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The swan looks wery big but other then that I like the enviro. Its calm just like your mood. Keep rendering. use some different brushes with some texture for the leaves. Cheers!

Bjrn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

57. The Following User Says Thank You to B-Man For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast