Sketchbook: Keep-Going SKETCHBOOK - Updated on 3rd March - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Keep-Going SKETCHBOOK - Updated on 3rd March

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 2,424 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Those eyes are just fantastic. The shading. Soooo good. I like the digital paintings also.

[last update; 28th March 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    ...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LtPlissken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ohhhh, those bugs are tasty! your color work is really nice and i like the vibrant colors.

maybe you could try and clean them up some more. (look who's talking, i'm great at being sketchy. )

i'd love to see some portraits actually.

keep up the niceness.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DigitallyDumbfounded For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Pixie Trick - Oooh you're so totally right!! I'll try that! ^^ And i think Janaschi is a real inspiration!! WOW am i in love with those still life!! I just don't know how she chooses those colours!! And i thought i was good with colours!!

ohnojenny - Good to hear from you once more! And thanks! But you know...that pear is only adjusted, i didn't draw it. I was helping out MeticoloR': http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=161366
    When i drew a pear from scratch it turned out like this: http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...ackDelphin.jpg

strings - Wow man thank you!! i am blushing here! >///< but i think i could have done much more in a year..and the doodles got that much good in a month so...it's to be expected..
    About the hands, yeah...i'm going to do some bone studies, and then some muscle studies, and then try it again
    Hope to hear from ya again ^^

GweNdZ Mah dA pal~!!! Good to see you here too!! And thanks! The orange is my particular favourite! And from those bone studies...expect more! =^_^=

LtPlissken - Thanks a lot man!!! I do that from the start..i jsut can't block then blend then shade then the highlight or whatever...all at once. But when i try to make it all fast n simple, with less details..it just doesn't work..

DigitallyDumbfounded - Thanks for dropping by!! I'll try n visit you too ^^ And yeah...when i'll get some more courage i'll go on portraits!! Right now i'll work on that neatness with my still life, and lets do our best to get that!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was away for the weekend, had some wisdom tooth pain, still am, and will go away tomorrow again, but i will post what i did when i get back!

did some still life studies from what i found around
    i AM aware that in the second one the proportions are off, but in both i did without an eraser and stayed only a couple of minutes on each (people would take stuff from the table!!!)

the femur study was done before i left, but i placed it in between to make the post look pretty lol

ps. i edited the levels and the colours a bit in photoshop, croped them from the page too, because i just CAN'T STANDDD IT..they gotta be neat and clean haha

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Cristina Zabava; June 29th, 2009 at 09:25 AM.
    Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey you really did inspired me with those hand studies i think im gonna do the same thing, never thought about doing it before..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zanna92 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    get a bridgman and hogarth book! they help so much with anatomy

and your studies are looking great, i really need to start doing work from that peer project too--you inspired me to get working!!

"Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hala For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still lives... I really need to do those... when I get less frustrated with teh female body. Or maybe it'll be a nice break. Hmm...
    But awesome studies! I know how hard it can be when what you're drawing can leave any moment -- soon.

Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."
    The Killers -- Midnight Show

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ohnojenny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    YOUR still lifes RRRRROOOOOOOOOOOCCCCKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! definatly inspired to try some

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still lives are a great way to work, mainly because they are from life. Yours are looking good, but try to look for angles; The perspective in some of your objects/surfaces to a bit off.

The colour on those fruit and veg on the 1st page is great, I love the sheen on the apple. Keep it up and even Janaschi will be jealous!
    Peace

14. The Following User Says Thank You to danlambert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice stuff so far. Keep up with the still life sketches, it really helps to improve on lighting sources.

"Artists who seek perfection in everything
    are those who don't achieve it in anything"
    ~Eugene De La Croix

Deviantart~♥~ twitter~♥~ Blog ~♥~ IFX ~♥~ Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hay there Cristina,

Great still lifes, try to keep the lines a little neeter wen shading though, would make a huge diffrence!

Cool stuff keep posting!

P.s, oh and I'm glad you liked your portrait I did another in PhotShop just before, It's in my Sketchbook and this thread here- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...89#post2330289

Take care,
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When doing still lifes (or when drawing or painting anything really, but especially when doing studies now in the beginning of your artistic journey), slow down. Take the time to really study the object you're drawing. Think about every line you put down, and take the time the line deserves. Look at what you're drawing, find a curve, or angle, or whatever line it is you need to put to paper, perhaps check the negative space, put your pencil to the paper and focus on making that line confidently in one stroke. But be careful not to confuse confidence with force. Stay loose and light, but know you can draw it in one stroke.

In your digitals, it looks like your brushes are a little small at times. The general advise is to keep your brushes as big as you can for the job it needs to perform.

Your bones look real good!

See you 'round

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare
    I think he'll be to Rome
    As is the osprey to the fish, who takes it
    By sovereignty of nature.
    SSG
    Anthis Dizon Angel Intheuk Zou Crane Hai

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zanna92 - hey i'm so glad i gave you an idea!! i'll be looking forward to that! i just LOOOVE hand studies! n thanks for stopping by.

hala - will do! and i'm so glad we could help each other! nice sig by the way...you either have ass, or you don't!! haha

ohnojenny - hey! glad to see you once more!! yeah! TOTALLY do still life!! i for one looove them! texture, value, colours...they just fascinate me so much more than human figure right now; i don't know if that's really a good thing, but it's just something i can't control right now! but the interesting part is, i love studying bones n muscles
    ps. will be paying a visit soon

Grandmassa Mr. Spect - hey there mister!! good to see you here and that's awesome!! TOTALLY looking forwards for those!! wait till you see my newest! haha

danlambert - hey thanks a lot!! i sometimes remember/realise that, but i forget! from life is the best indeed!! and the angles...so so SO true; i'll try that! i'll study perspective more! i know i have quite some trouble with that, and i know i shouldn't be so scared of it xD

and thanks!! i just love playing around with colours! glad you like the apple too!! the background has that colour because of the devianART scheme..it was meant to look like it was floating on the dA page;

GweNdZ - thanks! and it helps on texture too; from what i've seen, interpreting that accurately makes a big difference!

JailHouseRock2 - HOUSE! good to see you again! and yeah totally totally loved it!! and i've seen the photoshop one too, like i commented on your sb n other thread already ^^ thanks for the link though, and i posted a new image btw hehe you made me do it
    and i'll try and be more patience with those shades! try to do them more accurate
    i did a few studies afterwords, and i somewhat tried that..i was beginning to get used to the style and the daily work heh
    glad you're stopping by again~

Hai - thank you very much! i tend to forget that, among other things xD i will try to study them closely, really close and discover my way of drawing that line, my style ^^
    and about the force-secure line, i somewhat realized that soon and i shall continue trying and applying thanks!
    and thank you for liking my bones haha
    see you too around~

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So PHEW! Hey guys!! After having a great, but tiresome vacation-working experience thingy up in the mountains, i'm back! I dtried not to neglect my bone, nor my still life studies!!
    And because where i lived there were tons of bottles n bottles n jars n glasses, i drew a few
    My personal favourite is the first one, with the glass and the napkin...i just love how crisp that reflection looks on the material!

ps. tired as hell so i'll upload the bones later

pps. in the last study, i just KNOW there's something wrong with the plate-thingy!! it's form my imagination after all lol...people came to eat and they took my study awayyy ( so i had to improvise..
    a little hand correcting it? i know it's wrong, but i don't know what should i do either..

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey girl, nice sketchbook ! I think you should take more time on your studies, be more accurate on the values, you know, have more control on your hatching ! Really try to feel the form, to follow it ! Also try to define a light source ! sometimes it's hard to tell where the light is coming from on your drawings ! And the last thing : draw bigger :p ! Anyway, you're on the right way ! Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies.. Hand studies is really important. Keep studying them..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not one sketch of the environment from the mountains ??! Oh man, I'd love to spend one full day in one of those places, well minus the work, and the bothersome bugs and everything. Just a pencil and sketchbook but I digress.

Some line weight work is missing on the recent studies. I actually like the last study, the plate doesn't seem to be on the same plane. Perhaps if you forget for a moment that its a plate at all and just imagine how a circle (its base) would lie flat in this particular perspective. Keep on rolling, and don't slack either

Sketchbook

Insert very insightful quotes here ...
    - get back to work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies in here!
    About the plate thing... elipses are pretty hard to draw in some angles. If you put a glas in front of you, you can see what's wrong with your memorized cake thingie .
    When your eye is in the same line as the top of the glass (in that way, your nose should be on the table or someting), the top elipse is only a line.
    When you move a few centimeters above the thing, the elipse is a very small stretched cirkel with a diameter of a half centimeter or so.
    The more you rise from the cups horizon, the rounder the elipse will be.

In your drawing, you look down at the cake, so your elipse is a bit too small for that. If you make it rounder (unless the cake has an elipsed form ), I think it will look more right .

It all sounds pretty standard maybe, but I know elipses are hard to draw. Maybe you should do some from horizon to top (from line to circle). That really helps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's great to draw what's around you like that If you are limited on time, focus more on getting the contours down, and the relationship between all the spaces, rather than trying to shade. This way if someone moves your study, you can always improvise light source, but you'll have gotten down the way those forms look at that perspective you're sitting at.
    Keep at it!

"Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there, thanks for dropping by my sketchie! I have to say you have a great head start with those arts. And your pencils by the way, is really good! Keep it going with the studies, they will pay off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Cristina,

Liking the stills, and I'll try to answer you question on Hogarth, Loomis and Bridgmen.

First off I think you should try both. Most people are spit on whether Hogarth or Bridgmen are better to study, but I think you need them both and I believe they complement each other nicely.

But if I had to chose I'd start with G.Bridgmen. I think he gets across some concepts about figure drawing alot better than most others.
    Jason Rainville said this on Bridgmen not long ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rainville View Post

Bridgman does something far more useful for us than copy what he sees, he exaggerates and accentuates the various large and small masses of the body, reduces its shapes into something far more digestible to newcomers. Instead of having to study these figures for years to discover their various secrets, Bridgman hints at these discoveries so that we can find them more easily. More than that, his lines add to the rhythm of the human body, meaning that when we draw a forearm or leg we can tune into its natural rhythm right away.

What use would a book of perfectly drawn people serve? It would be the same as opening a book of photographs.

On the otherside, Hogarth is great, but sometimes is to stylised, and also he very rarely draws women.
    Heres some words of wisdom from the great Marko Djurdjevic, who puts it far better than I ever could. -
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Djurdjevic View Post
    The reason I love and recommend Hogarth is not because of his ability to create realistic anatomy. Of course not. But what he does give you is a guideline that leaves room for your own imagination. Something that you can layer over and on top of the foundation that you're getting from studying him. Also, another thing that makes Hogarth special to me is his courage for daring poses and outrageous perspectives. I find that he gives you enough room to play with the human body as you like and wish and I think that it's detrimental to our own progression that we lose the fear of complicated stuff. That being said, realism can be easily plastered over a skillful foundational drawing. That part needs observational skills and not an anatomy book.

Cheers

M
    As for Loomis you'll have to ask someone else, I've never got my hands on a book of his unfortunately

Hope that helped,
    Cheers,
    matt

Last edited by JailHouseRock2; July 12th, 2009 at 03:08 AM.
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

27. The Following User Says Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll just throw in my opinion about Loomis then. I don't really have all that much experience with using these guys' books, i.e. I haven't seen everything they've done, and haven't been through all of their books. I have Constructive Anatomy by Bridgman and I've quickly skimmed through a couple of Loomis books.

So, to me the appeal of Loomis, and the way he differs from the others (without being able to really talk about Hogarth), is that his books aren't so much as just anatomy books, but they are fully fledged illusration instructional books. He writes a lot (but not too much ) about what he does and how he does it, and lets you in on all his little secrets regarding construction of figures. His style is that of an animator, with tons of flow and dynamism. Spread across his books he talks about all manner of specific points regarding illustration in depth, from construction of the body to perspective, to composition.

Talking about him simply as a help with anatomy, he's got great, precise terms and methods for the construction of bodyparts, and his book "Drawing the Head and Hands", for example, presents a number of universal guidelines that are applicable whenever you find yourself drawing a face, or hands. And particularly his ways of showing how to build these parts from the most basic of shapes can be useful.

Been trying to come up with a way to explain the difference in one sentence, but I guess the 'instructional book vs. anatomy reference book' is the closest I'll come. Maybe there are some other guests of your SB that can elaborate or offer differences of opinion.

I think he'll be to Rome
    SSG

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Hai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Walid D - I'm TRYYINGGG >_< and i'll keep trying ^^ It's just...i need to do more! Thanks!

Nellin - Thanks! I will ^^

strings - Aah tool, good to hear form you again Haha yeah >_< got me! I'm totally afraid of trees and landscape drawing xD i try n try n try and it looks like a ball of wires HAH!
    And you should go too! Can you not?

Aah i am not slacking!! >_<
    And what did i do wrong!? I was so sure these studies would be better!! About the plate...i commented on that...had to draw from my imagination because the plate was taken away xD but anyways, i think you are right! I'll not think of it as a plate next time!

Marlisa - Haha thank you for telling me about ellipses! I liked how you said about the nose on the table!! My imagination went crazy with that idea!
    And in that case i don't know what to do about the bottle!!!!
    But the ellipse studies sound very good...i shall do some like that...with a glass of milk xD

hala - Hey stranger! Nice hearing from ya again! And yeah!! I'm a total still life freak!! And i usually do that: draw the outline first, but i was sort of..afraid of the ellipse from the start so... xD i ended up shading instead..

shamandalie - Thank you!! And thanks fro dropping by too ^^

JailHouseRock2 - Hey Matt! ^^ Thank you for taking your time!!

And those quotes were really helpful!!!
    In the first, i think Rainville is totally right! And i think he uses a stylized way of drawing anatomy too,to create the flow, no?
    And after reading what Marko said too...i think they really do harmonize....i just now don't know with what to start!! xD
    *goes back to her bones*

Hai - Hai!! Good seeing you man! Totally on time after JailHouse's comment xD

Thank you for pointing those things about him! I totally want to be able to draw with flow and really dynamic! Seeing those wacky perspectives really get me going sometimes!!
    But i didn't quite get the 'instructional book vs the anatomy reference book' idea...isn't it both or..what did you meant :/

That aside, i do so really hope to see more comments on this subject, but i don't think anyone else will do it xD

Btw, with what book did you start? Or witch do you think helped you the most? ..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some more bone studies ^^
    And without realising i was looking through my old anime-sketch notebook, and without noticing i turned to this anime 'mannequin' , and without realising i started drawing a head, and without realising i stretched my hand towards an old printed loomis page..wait..that doesn't sound right xD
    Yeah..i noticed taking the loomi...but i couldn't stop... LOL
    So i drew a figure too, and made it 'shine' in photoshop a bit....i just can't help making them pretty on the pc ^^

And to make things sweeter, here's an origami maple leaf i did a while back, but only recently decided to take a picture of!
    It is one of the most complex i did, that i could place on the same 'shelf' level as the origami cat i did (and terribly misplaced somewhere..)

If you DO origami or want to try, or whatever here's the diagram: http://chosetec.darkclan.net/origami...ams/mapleleaf/

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, I'm sorry.
    I understand that I was not that helpful in deciding which to do first, my point was that either or is better than not doing any at all.

Right then, let me show you these - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=131117
    This is an amazing library of free E-art books! There are some awesome Bridgman's and some amazing loomis books on offer!

So no excuses now girl, go rock these!!!!!

all the best,
    matt

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

32. The Following User Says Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JailHouseRock2 - Aah yes!! That link is what i've bin looking for a while now!! But form other reasons! I do have the books in .pdf format you see..the thing is...i don't know with witch one to start!!?
    It's something like...WITH WHOM I VOTE?!? LOL
    I first got the links to loomi's books,to other books, then i got the links to some videos, then to concept art from arteche on deviantART

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK... umm, start with Bridgman!
    Thats what I did, and if you don't like his stuff try loomis and then hogarth.

Really like the bone studies btw, and cool origami piece as well!

take care,
    matt

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

35. The Following User Says Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe start with both Bridgman and Loomis? You could do, say, 15, 30 or 60 minutes of Bridgman every morning, and then do some Loomis later. I'd say maybe start with either "Creative Illustration" or "Successful Drawing", or maybe even "Fun with a Pencil" just as an intro. If you feel like you should focus on one at a time however, that's fine too of course.

I think he'll be to Rome
    SSG

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JailHouseRock2 - Thanks! I'll combine your comment with Hai's HAHAHA
    And thank you very much! I just love origami! It's a fascinating way to spend your spare time~

Hai - How come i didn't think of that!? Will do!

Expect a figure flood guys!! xD

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi BlackDelphin. You're off to a really great start. It's great that you're using traditional mediums and not sticking to the computer only as you develop your art. The second eye rendering is really well done. One little suggestion going forward, drawing loosely and lightly to get a feel for ellipses and curves. Staying loose and light will help to keep your work less rigid and heavy-handed. You can use these looser sketches as under-construction and ultimately your finished pieces will have a more naturalistic appearance. All the best!

-Yeti

40. The Following User Says Thank You to yeticatcher For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Cristina, many thanks for the visit!

Wow, you've already made quite a lot of impressive work! You seemed to have gotten the grasp of your Wacom fairly fast. In fact, too fast, even! I just mean that your pencils actually seem to lack somewhat in comparison. So yes, the advise you've gotten here is great, do Bridgman and Loomis religiously! But I'm not suggesting you lay off the Wacom completely, just try to find a fine balance between the two Best of luck and please keep sharing your work!

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

42. The Following User Says Thank You to AsaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies man would like to see more poses ^^
    And I really like your digitals !! they are really cool........ i am to stupid for digitals xD
    keep on mate
    thanks for your comment dude (BTW... your german isnt that bad xD )

learning
    LOOKING FOR MENTOR

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Strassenpenner08 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey! I was wondering, do you google for ref on those bone studies? or do you use a book?

also Great job with the textures and shading ^^

"Artists who seek perfection in everything
    are those who don't achieve it in anything"
    ~Eugene De La Croix

Deviantart~♥~ twitter~♥~ Blog ~♥~ IFX ~♥~ Sketchbook

46. The Following User Says Thank You to GweNdZ For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 113