Chow 163 :: VOTING :: Envoy of the Khemethar - Page 3

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Who be they that come from the sky?

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chow 163 :: VOTING :: Envoy of the Khemethar

2 1.16%

2 1.16%

38 21.97%

38 21.97%

6 3.47%

2 1.16%

6 3.47%

3 1.73%

7 4.05%

28 16.18%

4 2.31%

10 5.78%

60 34.68%

22 12.72%

2 1.16%

3 1.73%

1 0.58%

3 1.73%

54 31.21%

4 2.31%

31 17.92%

23 13.29%

2 1.16%

91 52.60%

46 26.59%

2 1.16%

42 24.28%

2 1.16%

32 18.50%

20 11.56%

6 3.47%

8 4.62%

39 22.54%

10 5.78%

7 4.05%

29 16.76%

1 0.58%

17 9.83%

5 2.89%

3 1.73%

25 14.45%

28 16.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We're only supposed to vote for one person? I voted for 12!!
    [including my own piece, but only because i thought i deserved it :p]
    Thank you everyone, I was very intimidated by the participating in CHOW at this heavy forum, and getting as many votes as i have is an awesome awesome welcome by this community.

I am baffled that people like Felicia, pixeltuner, tommoy, Adi etc haven't been voted for more often, i thought these people's work were better than mine.

lennon i acknowledge that my initial workings started off very reminiscent of Tsutomu Nehei's blame and biomega (i'm often surprised at how his influence creeps up unexpectedly in my work). But I thought i'd moved away from that into my own territory. I'd be interested to know what my final piece reminds you of, because i'm thinking about it and i can't come up with anything...
    Thanks for liking it anyways.

Luness I think it is a sacrilege that your piece was not up there for me to vote for. I've only just started looking around conceptart and your SB blue my mind.

I'm going to refrain from crits because i wouldn't want to accidently influence the voting. I'll wait until the votes are closed...
    But of course, very humbling work on the whole from participants.

Last edited by harris-ejaz; June 23rd, 2009 at 02:40 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to harris-ejaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Camsyko: Thanks!, I might have overdone the skin a bit with the highlighting, but the intention was to make it a bit otherwordly.

Novbert: I could have done more with the pose, but since this is 'character' of the week I'm afraid I can't agree with your background comments

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by harris-ejaz View Post
    We're only supposed to vote for one person? I voted for 12!!
    [including my own piece, but only because i thought i deserved it :p]
    Ahm, I'm afraid I'm going to have to delete a vote for you then. It's kind of against the rules to vote for one's self, sorry.

But there is no voting limit, you can vote for as many as you like, but some people limit themselves to one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    daestwen I'm sorry, I'm new to this, and wouldn't have done it if i hadn't noticed other people doing it. So it's quite cool

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    novbert Yes I consciously sacrificed colour variation in favour of elegance. not sure if it was a smart risk to take...
    And i'm a he.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for a few, but the one that took 1st for me was Felicia's, it was well executed, playful and had a Jungle Book or Sword in the Stone type look to it.

I'll add more when I have time.

As a note though can we tell what specifically people need to do in order to get better and learn? Because I personally don't feel like I'm improving in Painter at all, and just about to dump it for Photoshop.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Reymus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Reymus View Post
    I voted for a few, but the one that took 1st for me was Felicia's, it was well executed, playful and had a Jungle Book or Sword in the Stone type look to it.

I'll add more when I have time.

As a note though can we tell what specifically people need to do in order to get better and learn? Because I personally don't feel like I'm improving in Painter at all, and just about to dump it for Photoshop.
    I sincerely don't think that your choice of painting app does or doesn't have an effect on your improvement. It's all about drawing practice, and studying things like anatomy, colour-theory and light. Painter and Photoshop (and Artrage, Sketchbook Pro and whatnot) are just tools to put that knowledge into practice.
    I personally do prefer Photoshop but that's because I've been using it as an image-editing programme for almost 10 years now, and know pretty much every nook and cranny of it. But that doesn't make my drawings any better

Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know that it's all practice practice practice, but looking through COWs and CHOWs, you know, usually it's all Photoshop, and I've read dozens of testimonials of why it's the best hands down for digital work. So my frustration with Painter is always in comparison to PS vs what I really should be worried about which is how to work in Painter.

I wish there was a SOW (Sculpture of the Week!) as well, there's all kinds of little maquettes and busts waiting around.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Reymus View Post
    I know that it's all practice practice practice, but looking through COWs and CHOWs, you know, usually it's all Photoshop, and I've read dozens of testimonials of why it's the best hands down for digital work. So my frustration with Painter is always in comparison to PS vs what I really should be worried about which is how to work in Painter.

I wish there was a SOW (Sculpture of the Week!) as well, there's all kinds of little maquettes and busts waiting around.
    There isn't a sculpture of the week, but there *are* sculpture challenges sometimes, in the 3d and sculpture forum.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    also,i think it's not outright against the rules to submit a maquette for chow.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Envoy of the Khemethar

I couldn't get this on time but I liked the result. it was a experimented on style as much as it was a fun character to come up with.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "the Hispanic mechanic?"

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to no_name_brand For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no_name_brand> bad that you couldn't post it in time , you would certainly had a vote from me

Good Chow everyone , that was awsome , too many good entries ^^ .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No Name Brand....got my vote!

- My Artwork! -
    www.miguellleras.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixeltuner View Post

Novbert: I could have done more with the pose, but since this is 'character' of the week I'm afraid I can't agree with your background comments
    Agree and disagree. I think the well-chosen background can really support the character and a weakly rendered one can have negative effects on the piece as a whole. There are samples in this very round of good nonfigurative but supporting backgrounds (in the entries of emze and emerging) or more figurative supporting bacgrounds (in the entries of harris-ejaz, migsta and pahvasa) or even no background at all (leuparaleu, dimagyan and felicia). Apparently using a backround is totally optional, my point is that your chosen (figurative) backgound doesn't add too much to the pic and it's not aligned with the topic (I can see some green(?) hills instead of desert, pyramids and all the Egyptian stuff).
    Your piece was maybe a bit stronger without that bg than with it.

"Try again, fail again,
    fail better!"
    Samuel Beckett
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a few more comments.

Nephilie: This was a cool idea but I don't think it fully works how it is currently; the human parts don't really flow into the more robotic/arachnid-type ones. Two possibilities would be to bring the 'scorpion' parts a little further up, perhaps have them starting somewhere high on the stomach, either blending them into the skin so there is a more gradual change from skin to metal, or to have the machine parts gripping the figure more to look as though it is more like armour.

Harris-ejaz: Nice work, I like the tones and colours you went with in the end.

Pahavasa: I love the purple in this, the very alien figure and that head... the only thing that bugs me is the way he is facing directly on and everything above the shoulders is quite symmetrical, but the body is looking in another direction.

Daestwen: It's a shame you didn't keep the Earth looking like a hologram because that seemed like a unique idea for this, but of course this is 'character' of the week so that would have just been a bonus anyway. Nice concept with the 'star' outfit.

LogicINK: Looking from your WIPs to the final piece, it's a shame a lot of the detail is lost in the image up in the poll. I think the earlier colours you were using (pale tones with some red) worked better than the gold, to be honest - using mainly one colour to decorate an image can work but I think it's become a little overpowering here. One thing I'd suggest is maybe trying out a more 'cartoon' way of colouring - I think it could compliment your work quite well.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gavage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    harris-ejaz: It doesn't remind me of anything, that actually wouldn't care that much to me. It's just that I don't see much ideas in the design, I don't see anything that makes me say "how interesting, I really would like to know more about this character", it's pretty much an egyptian robot (all metal), there is also that sort of thing that may be a machine to fly, or anything, and it's ok, but without that, it's pretty much just a metallic egyptian with some little design in the limbs. I mean, it's a fine robot, it has even a few lights, it's just that I would have waited for a more developed concept.
    If for example I were to describe you an alien from the "alien" movie, I could tell you lots of things: of how it has that shape in the head, no eyes, and a little mouth inside the mouth, that body that it's like hard as if it had some sort of insect's exoskeleton, the tail that sometimes make the character look more as a 4 legged thing and sometimes a biped. The slimy saliva dropping from it's teeth (teeth that btw look sort of metallic). And a thousand more...
    There's also that other type of alien that jumps to your head, and a baby alien jumps from your chest. This could also be heavily described. Even the eggs are interesting.
    What I'm trying to say, is that there are lots of ideas there. I think that one could tell if there are ideas in his concept if one could write them down.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you're the only one displaying this problem, I just said that that was why I didn't voted for you.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to lennon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot Camsyko. To be hones it was very rushed, I caould only work a couple of hours on it.

No_name_brand, that would have really had my vote too

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Novbert View Post
    Agree and disagree. I think the well-chosen background can really support the character and a weakly rendered one can have negative effects on the piece as a whole. There are samples in this very round of good nonfigurative but supporting backgrounds (in the entries of emze and emerging) or more figurative supporting bacgrounds (in the entries of harris-ejaz, migsta and pahvasa) or even no background at all (leuparaleu, dimagyan and felicia). Apparently using a backround is totally optional, my point is that your chosen (figurative) backgound doesn't add too much to the pic and it's not aligned with the topic (I can see some green(?) hills instead of desert, pyramids and all the Egyptian stuff).
    Your piece was maybe a bit stronger without that bg than with it.
    I could get picky right now and say that the Nile-Delta actually is as green as anything you can imagine when it floods every season, but I won't.
    I tried to keep away from stereotypes and only use the colours in the bg with a little figurative elements for letting the character pop out.
    That said, it's not a strong example of a good bg

Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lennon I get what you mean. Coming up with a design like that would take me a bit longer than the (half a) week i spent on it, i think.
    Unless, of course, i got lucky.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Missile - Thanks for the thoughts! I completely agree about the gold. I liked it in concept a lot more than I was capable of executing it. Haha Thanks again!

Cheers!

Cheers!

"Artists should always think of themselves as cosmic instruments for storytelling."
    -Ted Lange

Find me on the web:
    Portfolio
    DeviantART
    Facebook
    Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dwinbotp, pahavasa, and lkjhgfda were my favorites I think out of the whole crop. I really like Felicia's character design, but I don't think it fits the prompt as well as some of the others...it seems like more of a depiction than a interpretation. They're all beautiful works though...good topic, great crop of work so far...

My votes go to pahavasa and lkjhgfda for creativity in design and technique in executing said designs. Masterful.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sketcheth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Emerging (loved the choice and design), Migsta (for design), dwinbotp (great sci-fi feel), and emerging (angle, pose and texture). Would have voted for no_name_brand too.

CamSyko - Thanks, I've gotten this comment before, but I'm not exactly sure how to correct it. If it's lighting or understanding of form or perhaps a bit of both, but I know it's one of the many things I need to work on.

Razorleaf - Thanks!

Lots of great entries, looking forward to seeing what the next Chow brings out!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Sulk-Sal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    harris-ejaz, It's not rocket science you just think of an idea before drawing, that's all. May take 5-10 muntes. But of course, if you don't want the critique, don't make me wast my f#@king time. If you just want everyone to tell you how good you are, next time, turn off the computer and ask your girlfriend what she thinks.

Last edited by lennon; June 26th, 2009 at 01:05 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lennon View Post
    harris-ejaz, It's not rocket science you just think of an idea before drawing, that's all. May take 5-10 muntes. But of course, if you don't want the critique, don't make me wast my f#@king time. If you just want everyone to tell you how good you are, next time, turn off the computer and ask your girlfriend what she thinks.
    You in a bad mood son? I think you're wasting your time with getting mad on the internetz and getting a bit too personal in your remarks

Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixeltuner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, perhaps I was in a bad mood. Sorry for that, it's just that I'm running with too many people that comes here to hear how good they are, and I really can't get that. I've also made a couple of questions on this forums about how to do certain things (very simple things), just to get a tip, nothing crazy, just tell me if this is how you've done it, just yes or no. But no, they won't say a thing. So at the end, you start wondering why do all this people connect to the internet: they don't want to tell you a thing, they don't want to share a thing, they don't want you to tell them what you think, I'm just cluless. If it's not for the applause, then I really have no idea.
    Well, probably just a bad mood as you said.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,271 Times in 737 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Lennon - Chill out. harris-ejaz has done nothing to elicit that sort of aggressive response. I'm glad you apologised, but please keep your comments civil.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to say that I am pretty happy with how many votes my piece got, many thanks to everyone who voted!

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lennon dude WTF? I was agreeing with you!

The only quibble i have with what you wrote is with this:
    It's not rocket science you just think of an idea before drawing, that's all. May take 5-10 muntes
    I think i spent considerably more time than that before i put pencil to paper. If you had actually followed the development of my design to begin with on the other thread, you would have known that i did have a direction in mind. i knew what i didn't want to do.. I think i gave it a good shot, and we never know for sure what we're gonna produce is going to be excellent. It's always a balancing act between elegance and interest, and there is some luck involved in the process, i think. otherwise everyone would be churning out Xenomorph-level designs consistantly.
    If you read up, I have also acknowledged that some of the designs that didn't get voted for as much as mine did, were superior to mine.
    I actually found the rest of what you said to be thought provoking and inspiring.

I asked you to clarify what you meant because i was genuinely interested, and i am here to benefit from peer review. You assuming that i was being assiduously defensive was you projecting. I'm sorry but you can't automatically assume that everyone fits to some stereotype you have of the internet-faring-artfag-queen.
    You speak of bad internet habits and you're guilty of one yourself, letting your mood deprive you of your courtesy. I'm sorry if what other people do angers you but please don't take it out on me, especially when i'm actually admitting that you have a point.

Frankly your last post is bewildering and I had to reread all my posts to make sure i hadn't insulted you in some way.

Anyway. Apart from this last foray into the twilight zone, I found what you wrote quite helpful (if somewhat aggressive and unrealistically uncompromising). so thanks for that.
    cheers.

PS I'm single for the foreseeable future. precisely because I want a girlfriend who speaks her mind, which is a trait that my society tries to breed out of our women.

Last edited by harris-ejaz; June 30th, 2009 at 06:03 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 1