Hands. I hate hands.
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Hands. I hate hands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hands. I hate hands.

Easily the hardest thing on a human for me to draw. Well... Actually, maybe it's feet. But I don't NEED to draw those as often. Now I am so sure there's a hundred different places I could go to find all the references I need. But I can't find anything on my own. What I've come to realize is that I can google these things for hours on end and come up with nothing. But one post on ConceptArt will leave me with an inexhaustible supply of awesome.

So how about it? I need fairly diverse and dynamic poses. Hands that are holding things, hands that are foreshortening, hands that pointing at folk. I absolutely cannot rely on my left hand to hold the exact same pose for the amount of time that I need to draw it.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I ask people to pose their hands for me or I take photos of my own.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have used a mirror a lot, but it wasn't use to draw every detail, because it helps to learn the structure, since there are a lot of joints. Imagine the hand like a spider, and make it interesting, and something you will remember to help you with the joints, and then study the joint lenghts of each finger, and look at other peoples fingers. But like the body you can take one joint at a time, and making corrections.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is probably not what people would recommend, but... I actually found looking at comics/manga to be hugely helpful. In manga or the more detailed comics (not something like BONE with cartoon rules) you've already got an artist who has stylized hands in almost every position. This was really helpful in learning to simplify them a bit in my own drawings.

I still will sit and look at my own hand for reference if I need to, or try to get a picture of someone sitting/holding something in the position I need, but I do remember thinking of hands as a huge hurdle, and finding the sort of "answer" I needed in manga.

...and I had to draw like 50 hand studies a week in art school for the first year. I'm sure that helped too. >_>;

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Viridis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've tried to reference from Bleach a couple times. But what ends up happening is that I'm able to breeze through it so fast that I can't learn. It's different from drawing real ones, because with the real thing you're re-interpreting contours and cast light into black lines. With manga, that's what they come as. Hard to learn.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brush up on your Bridgman (I personally like Constructive Anatomy).
    Learn the structure and proportions. When you have the basics down, then use your hand and a mirror whenever you come across a difficult pose.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hands don't bother me. I really REALLY hate fuckin' feet. I think they're the ugliest part of the human body, bar none.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Start with this tutorial. It explains what to notice in the hands. Draw the schemes and then draw your own hands looking for the characteristics she is explaining. Find more tutorials and books like this, that offer you good explanations of what a hand is, what to notice about its structure and anatomy and how to see it in 3D.

If you try to draw a hand from life without this knowledge it won't look right. Notice the hand in this drawing, I drew it from life, using my own as reference. Yet, it's the most obviously mistaken thing there. Only after I read the tutorial I linked I noticed what I did wrong and why. (Unfortunately I'm yet to correct.)

Linguini is offline (n.) pasta in long, slender, flat strips. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Search for whatever reference pictures you desire here...

I searched "hand" and look at all the poses available to draw. I searched "hands" and got even more poses.

The best thing, really, would be to look at your own hands and feet and draw them and take pictures of them in positions you can't hold for very long.

♥♥ SKETCHBOOK ♥♥ BLOG ♥♥ PORTFOLIO ♥♥ dA GALLERY ♥♥

If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life.
    - Albert Camus

Dave_ is offline Fighting dwarves with keytars. Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unlike feet, you don't need 2 skills to draw hands.

*1st: Take of your shoes
    2nd: Take of your socks

(23:41:52) (ArneLurk) I woner of there are people who have hairy penises

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashenge View Post
    But I can't find anything on my own.
    None of your friends and family have hands? Grab a camera (even a disposable one if you need to) and shoot some photos. 15 minutes with a camera and a friend or two will give you a lot of photos to work from, and you'll always get the angles, poses, and lighting you are looking for.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The good part is that once you get past the initial hardship, hands are really fun to draw: They're so articulated and expressive, they have a life of their own. If needed, I use my own hand as reference (especially for grasping poses) or I harras... I mean ask my better half to pose, then adjust the hand according to gender (men's hands are more rectangular with long ring fingers and women's are more triangular with long index fingers).

Hands don't bother me. I really REALLY hate fuckin' feet. I think they're the ugliest part of the human body, bar none.
    I felt the exact same way for years. Then Bouguereau made me appreciate feet. There was this painting of a little shepherd girl with her foot sticking out from under her dress. The way the pale, wrinkled, pillowy ball of the foot, slightly blackened from dirt was so damn perfect, I thought it was the most impressive part of the painting. Then I realized they were nearly as expressive as hands (yet I still dislike the sight of painted toenails ).

Last edited by Sekino; June 18th, 2009 at 01:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you can't hold your hand long enough to draw it in detail, do lots of little studies. It'll be just like the rush of life-drawing a sitting stranger. Is it going to move? Will it notice you and scurry away? Will it call the police? Who knows?

The only other tools you need are a cheap poseable desklamp and maybe some googly eyes if you want to spice things up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just start off with simple structure, don't get into detail.

That can come later.

One step at a time.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get a sign language book and copy every picture until your eyes fall out. If you don't want to, then just draw people with hands in their pockets, behind their backs, etc...or put hooks on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilakae
    Not into feet fetish, I gather?

-Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.