Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox's Sketchbook

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Kitfox's Sketchbook

Hello!

Born 1990, from Finland, interested in concept art & digital painting but can only draw a little with pencil. Also, martial arts, they're cool.

Harsh critiques on anything welcome.

(updated 22/10/2010)
    Last edited by kitfox; October 22nd, 2010 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Switched Thumb/Title
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thanks

Thanks

Again, a day late...

Can't seem to find the time to upload things right after I get them done so a day late again.

@rupeshtalaskar: Thanks for the welcome!

Yesterday I felt like doing a self portrait so gave it a try. It's actually only my second time doing anything of the sort, so it was a good exercise. My rendering is bad and the lighting in the room I was drawing in kept changing so... I don't like it very much, but I'm glad I did it. Scanner destroyed most of the tones again... ~_~

I also started doing posemaniacs' 30 sec drawings but didn't get those scanned. Maybe next time.

Thanks

Skipping update days again...

Scheduling problems with various things so here's a bunch of things from the past days in one bulk.

Been studying Loomis and a bit of Hogarth. Got very frustrated with Loomis at times but I think I'm getting the hang of it. I've also been doing 20x 30 second poses from posemaniacs daily and collected it all together in random order.

Itching to do some master studies of Amano.

Thanks

Away for half a year -.-;;

Could make various excuses for not posting anything for the past 6 months but truth is that I'm just too much of a lazy person. >_< Well, maybe not THAT lazy but I end up using my time in the wrong ways... Nah, I'm just lazy, that's got to be it.

Some stuff from during the absence. Would've had more loomis stuff to upload also but the attachment manager hates me and I don't feel like trying to get them up for the 5th time... For some reason when I tried to upload a new image the other ones that I've already got up disappear and I have to start uploading them all over again. If anyone knows what's going on with that let me know.

Got me a Bridgman book for my 19th birthday (which was in the summer >.>;;) so more of that to come probably...

Thanks
    I'm glad to see that you are trying again, although I must say that if you had tried during those 6 months you would be on an entirely different level by now... just sayin.... I think that you should try to keep it fun by drawing more from life and imagination. I honestly get bored from trying to learn too much from books and sometimes it can be maddening, but it still has its place.

Good luck man and seriously don't stop this time, you just have to widdle away at all of the things that you don't like about your art and you will have something beautiful.

Thanks
    You're doing well, I can see the knowledge in your work. Just keep practicing at applying your knowledge and you will inevitably improve. About the Bridgman studies, try applying your knowledge to those as well rather than just copying the illustrations. Just because you might not see it in the original illustration doesn't mean that you shouldn't draw it. This is a trap I've seen loads of people fall into (I have done it myself), it will render your effort fruitless if you're not making a conscious effort to utilize your knowledge. The amount of control necessary is where the difficulty in drawing is found, that is why we need to practice. To improve, an artist needs to use enough control so as to get somewhat accurate results whilst simultaneously using the fundamentals (ie. not copying). It is a balancing act to be sure. Pay too much attention to the original and you will have copied it (pointless), don't pay enough attention and you will not have learned anything new from the illustration (almost pointless, you will have at least practiced applying your knowledge). It is a very fine line between the two indeed.

I'm sorry if my post is a little incoherent, It is difficult to explain. I feel passionately about this matter because the problem is so very common. I hope this helps you out in some way, good luck with your work.
    "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours." -Richard Bach

Sketchbook

Thanks
    nice sketchbook, i love seeing people studying anatomy (probably because i never spend enough time studying it myself ) and bridgeman has some amazing books thou im sure you dont need me to tell you that haha. Keep up the good work and i cant wait to see you do some Amano studies, his art is amazing (im actually working on a sorta amano-y sketch atm too ).

Thanks
    great progress on figure work! I'm just starting out, and loving it.
    Loomis and Bridgman are my heroes, no joke. I just ordered Bridgman's Life Drawing, which book do you use?

Thanks
    @James Warren: Thanks for the encouragement! I'll try to put some effort into it. I have a lot of problems with motivation. I don't seem to have the kind of burning passion that I see everywhere in CA. I've just never had that for anything really. I do get a sort of 'Flow' state when I draw, if you're familiar with the term in psychology. That's probably my driving reason to get better in arts.

@Sir Cam: I'm aware that mindless copying doesn't get me anywhere. The Bridgman copies were pretty much my first touch to his art style so I was just trying to get a feel of it. Thanks for looking out for me, though.

@Zeth09: Nice to hear there are other Amano fans out there! Bridgman certainly has some interesting books, but I find his illustrations difficult to read. I don't know if it's because of the print quality or what but I find myself spending a lot of time trying to get the idea behind his teachings. On the other hand, I find Loomis a lot easier to follow but he has a very different kind of approach to figure drawing.

@gabs: I wouldn't say I've progressed much as I'm only starting out but glad you like it. I have Bridgman's Complete guide to drawing from life as paperback. I also have Loomis' books as PDFs, mostly just reading Figure drawing for all it's worth, and a paperback of Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy.

So, I picked up my mech pencil and did some Loomis/Bridgman/posemaniacs applications. Used posemaniacs for pose references and tried to block some shapes to represent the head, torso and hip masses. The shapes ended up varying somewhat from pose to pose, not sure if that's a good thing... I tried to draw them so that they made some sense to me and looked natural. But finding the building blocks that best suit each pose wasn't as easy as I thought.

Thanks
    Did some free sketching with posemaniacs reference. I like the first (upper left) and the last (lower right) on this page. For some reason the two other poses felt difficult. Clothing and folds are wrong and the anatomy sucks. My lines are also scribbly again... -.-

Need to start doing some detailed anatomy studies...

Looked through one of Amano's art books again and I'm stunned by his style time and again. Makes me want to run before I can walk. Hell I feel like I can't even stand, so I crumble and fall... need to learn to pick myself up more often.

If anyone, who's passionate about becoming a better artist, stumbles upon this sketchbook, I've got a question for you. What drives you on to become better and why? (especially why >.> <.< >.>)

Thanks
    If anyone, who's passionate about becoming a better artist, stumbles upon this sketchbook, I've got a question for you. What drives you on to become better and why? (especially why >.> <.< >.>)
    Well, for me it is a tough question to answer. I am obsessed with improving because I have my heart set on going pro in the industry and in order to compete, I need to meet the industry standard. I have no other skill aside from my ability to draw. I have to be good enough to get hired or I will end up a typical starving artist. Basically, my well being is dependent on my ability to compete. That may be a bit overly dramatic but that is essentially what has motivated me to improve. I do it out of necessity.

Anyways, as I said before, I think your work is looking good. Keep it up.
    "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours." -Richard Bach

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Some loose gesture-ish stuff with the help of posemaniacs for now, more to come later.

Question for visitors: What made you choose art over everything else? (A certain source of inspiration, an artist you look up to, someone suggested you to try it? What's your kickstart story?)

For me, ever since I've been into video games, I've liked cool looking characters, special effects and such. I thought it'd be nice to be able to design such characters and draw my own cool stuff. Seeing some of the concept art for the games I've played probably put me on this path. Essentially the same thing brought me to martial arts but that's another story, heh. I seem to be easily swayed by the things that seem 'cool' to me... >.>;; Makes me worry a bit. Of course that's not the only influence I've had but maybe the top most and among the first.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast