female mechanic concept
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: female mechanic concept

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

female mechanic concept

Hey,

working on a character concept. It's a female airplane mechanic, part of a arcade shooter game. Most characters in game are very stiff and serious, so we have a few that are more caricature or comedy-like, hence the over-the-top physionomy and attire.

Original plan was to have a cross between rosie the riveter and Rosika Miklos, but concept has evolved into more of just a light comedy character with no personality as such.

Would love some general feedback, with no preconceptions or information about the main project, just let me know what to fix/improve/redo etc.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, Cool design! Definitely getting the Rosie the riveter vibe.

Things that bug me are:
    1. You cropped her off at the knees. Cropping, if it must be done, is preferably NOT done at the joints. It makes your character look like an amputee.

2. There is no perspective on the wrench, yet its weaving under her wrist and around the back of her neck. The wrench should be tiling back showing foreshortening.

3. Her shoulders are not level but her breasts are. If you lift your arm up, your pec muscles goes with it and thusly...so does your boob.

Otherwise its coming pretty good. Check out some Gil Elvgren and see if you can't put some more "sassy" in that pose.

Rock on!

...my humble and uneducated opinion.

-Nate

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mute For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey,

thank you, all very good points. As way of explanation, image will actually be cropped mid-thigh or just below crotch - the only reaon the whole thigh is there is for my personal reference. I find it very hard to draw a correct pose and shape without continouing the lines to their "conclusion" (in this case the knee). I should have left the crop box overlay in there

Wrench bugs me to no end as well - the plan was to have it square on for compositional reasons - it just looks cleaner, flatter, more square, less complex, but it does fuck with the neck and shoulder. I would rather redo her arms and shoulders that introduce perspective in the wrench...

Will shift boob.

ty,

K.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with his points about anatomy and I think the wrench should not only have some perspective, it would also be more at an angle. The arm would be pushing down on the end causing the working end to raise up more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick update with tweaked anatomy and angled wrench. better or worse?

Last edited by ctrl-k; June 17th, 2009 at 04:03 PM. Reason: URL update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the perspective changes to the middle of the handle work well, but the end of it (with the tape) looks slightly blurred through digital enlargement.

Personally, I am surprised nobody has brought up the balance of the wrench. From the pose, it looks to me like her arm's full weight is leaning on the wrench's handle, which would imply the wrench's head weighs at least as much as the handle and her arm - if not more. I think more of the wrench's weight should be at the head so it really feels like her arm is leaning lazily on the handle, as opposed to her holding her arm up like that on her own.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazerad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It would very uncomfortable to lift your arm that high in that angle to carry something as heavy as that wrench. Try it yourself.

Maybe she could hold it this way instead? Also I think that her eyes are to far appart.

I think it is great that you gave her muscly arms.

Attached Images Attached Images  

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frida Bergholtz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the useful feedback, ppl.

Will keep working on this, most likely the arm will stay over the tool rather than suggested below as I like the assymetry you get in the pose with one arm lifted.

I think the best solution for me is to beef up the heavy end of the wrench - I want the tool to look heavy, and she's supposed to be resting her arm on the handle as a counterweight to the "head" of the tool. So it shouldn't be too hard to hold the pose

(if you followed the thread you'll know that the wrench was half a meter longer previously, which balanced it out more, but it had to be chopped for technical reasons, the ilage needs to fit into an interface...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    don't know if you're done with this yet, but i felt the need to chime in. I have to agree- sometimes you have to decide what's important in a piece, and have to be careful not to fall in love with any one aspect of a piece, you can end up going against the grain of what the figure is trying to do naturally. all i can say is that if you love the arm up that way, then pose yourself in the mirror with something equivalent to the size and weight of the object she is holding. her pose looks like she is leaning her arm on something, or has her arm flexed around someone's neck in a bar. it would make sense if both her arms were up in this position, and either end of the object was weighted down with, say, buckets. her ONE arm, however, has to be exerting the same weight as the object on the other side. if you pose yourself or someone else, i think you'll see the difference fairly quickly- it becomes pretty distracting in an otherwise groovy drawing to look at. the quick solution would be to make the head of the wrench heavier by increasing its' length and weight 5 or 6 fold.

sorry, don't mean to sound harsh- it's just that i have been around lots of machinery and mechanics and industrial stuff in my life, and am super particular about pinups. the design on the jumpsuit is good, and the cap and match she's chewing on are very nice details. nice work overall. good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

purchase artwork?

Hi there. I saw this concept art you have posted here of the Female Mechanic. I am interested in purchasing it for use In my logo for my small business. If you are interested please email me at stephanie0110113@yahoo.com.

Thanks,
    Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by ctrl-k View Post
    Hey,

working on a character concept. It's a female airplane mechanic, part of a arcade shooter game. Most characters in game are very stiff and serious, so we have a few that are more caricature or comedy-like, hence the over-the-top physionomy and attire.

Original plan was to have a cross between rosie the riveter and Rosika Miklos, but concept has evolved into more of just a light comedy character with no personality as such.

Would love some general feedback, with no preconceptions or information about the main project, just let me know what to fix/improve/redo etc.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your interest, Stephanie. The artist in question has been contacted.

Members who have read this thread: 42