Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #101: Speedbirds - Voting

IDW #101 Topic: Speedbirds

Deadline for voting: Friday, June 26

No voting for your own entries! I repeat, no voting for your own entries

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #101: Speedbirds

Name:  IDW logo poll smaller.JPG
Views: 2108
Size:  7.5 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; June 19th, 2009 at 05:41 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Feil Magnus : Concept Art - Industrial Design - Sci-fi - Photoshop

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Messerschmitt Tempest

The record breaking new Nuclear Jet Engines was a succes from 2015-2031 where it was banned from all official racing cups. The Engines worked like other jet engines, by heating up air 'till it expanded and thereby creating pressure, which was blasted out to create thrust. Only, the heat was created by nuclear power and not Jet Fuel. Amongst the planes nicknames was "The Fish" as it was often seen flying dangerousley close to the surface. Not having alot of space to maneuvre in, the plane couldent allways turn by rolling. The sollution was big air "flaps" on each wing.

Each Messerschmitt was only build to sustain one race, the engines would then break and the rest of the plane would be split apart for spare parts.

The unstable engines caused several pilot deaths and injuries, but it wasnt untill 2031 where an engine meltdown caused a explosion that killed all of the Schneider cup participants, that it was banned.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The single seater Corvette sea2 has a unique way if getting itself airborne, while many other planes have pontons fixed on the body, the sea2 has them mounted on the tip of it´s wings!
    Needless to say this has proven fatal for many of it´s pilots. See, you have to pull the winggear-lever in order to make the wings dip down when coming in to land, early models of the sea2 often failed on this rather vital part of the landing process.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "The Piaggio Aero PC17 was Italy's winning entry in the 100th Anniversary Schneider Trophy race, held in August, 2013 in Monaco. Based on the Piaggio PC7, an uncompleted entry designed by Ing. Giovanni Pegna for the 1929 races, the PC17 was powered by afterburning turbojets specially designed and built for the race by Avio Propulsione Aerospaziale. A nationwide effort by Italian industry, the PC17 incorporated much early 21st century technology borrowed from Formula One and offshore hydrofoil racing designs. On takeoff a massive jet-ski type water thruster in the rear of the hull/fuselage propelled the aircraft up onto its hydroplanes, at which point the main engines were engaged.

The PC17's victory was tarnished by the mayhem that ensued when the pilot, Cdr. Vincenzo "Vinnie" Boombazz, banked on his victory lap in order to acquire a closer view of two topless supermodels waving from the sun-deck of the megayacht Persephone; seconds later his aircraft collided with the Minolta blimp. By a series of near-miracles, neither pilot, supermodels, nor airship crew received more than superficial injuries. Sadly, the PC17 was a total loss."

- Quoted from Jane's All The World's Ridiculously Fast Racing Seaplanes (2030 ed.)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to alembic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Supermarine Spirit 5, based on the original cup winner the Supermarine S.5. It doesn't innovate, but uses updated technology grafted with the original layout.
    Hope to participate in more of these.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"Rollsroyce Rolling Thunder"

The Aquatic racing plane #14 named the "RollsRoyce Rolling Thunder" was attributed to the epansive exhaust that the throaty Rolls twin V12's spouted upon full throttle. although somewhat sluggish in the turns, the oversized engine compelety owned most of power sections of the courses and was quicker than thought it would be. Unfortunetly, at times, the torque of the massive motors rought havoc with the suspension and often caused catastrophic occurances to the structures, ending in pilot ejections and complet race chaos. but heck, thats racing.

"I didnt have enough time to add in a pic of the pontoons that are a portion of the bottom of the motors housings. oh and I completely stole the fuel sticker idea from Alembic. I was adding stickers, but the shell sticker was just the thing so ya know, i um....well I umm just stole it."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

D.Holme

IDW #100 - Speedbirds - De-Havilland Super Mosquito

Edit:
    Ugh - just realised I've not included the reference sketch - I'll have to put that in first thing in the morning - It should still be Tuesday somewhere in the world.

Edit:
    Fixed.

Last edited by D-Holme; June 17th, 2009 at 06:06 AM.
    MY SKETCHBOOK Updated 05/08/08 - Critique and comments encouraged

Industrial Design Weekly Enviroment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The 26m was Maserati's Grand Prix version of the Tipo 26. The race days of the 26m spanned the first half of the 1930s. In the Alternaverse, the universe next door, the styles and tastes of the 1930s never faded . . . and all that jazz. I call it the "Maserati SeaStar 26a."

I thought it was an interesting idea to base a seaplane on a car. I didn't want to just put some wings on the Maserati though, so I tried to capture the feeling rather than translate it directly across. The body housing for the front axle of the 26m gave me the idea for the lower wing and I tried to retain the idea of the suspension in the tail of the plane.

Last edited by Majenkus; June 18th, 2009 at 01:12 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A few notes on this round as usual:

First of all, good to see a few more entries than the rounds previous to nr. 100, guess it did help to promote it a little However, next round I'm going to be a bit more strict with what goes to poll and what doesn't, as some entries this week could've used some polishing before being submitted. Didn't want to step down too hard without warning, so didn't apply the rules too strict this time around.

Also, I'll try to be a bit more regular with putting up the poll and new rounds..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gz to every1
    sorry I couldnt make it
    i like D-Holme 's design but had to vote for Alambic for the good technique, nice and realistic

I'd love some constructive criticism : my sketchbook TY for taking the time
    Let's all just be friends and chill the f*** out, k ?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cotletan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Alembic - The efficiency of your rendering is really pro and really elegant. I love the "car paint" (I know it's not a car). How do you do that? Do you have a method to give that glossy texture?

Thanks to all who entered and voted. Cheers.

Last edited by Majenkus; June 19th, 2009 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Majenkus, thanks for the kind words... I loved your Maserati, I've always had this thing for twin tails (something Freudian? I ain't even going to touch that one) and the colors were really moody. All the entries were great, you guys are amazing.

Despite the fact that I thought my Piaggio showed about the least amount of imagination of anybody's entry, I was pretty happy with the rendering. I based the paint job on a lot of ref photos of Ferrari F1 cars, and for the reflections I looked at some I've taken over the years of aerobatic jets like the Blue Angels' F/A-18s and the Italian Frecce Tricolori's Aermacchis. As I'm sure you know, shiny paint just turns whatever its applied to into a colored (red, in this case), slightly dim, and weirdly-shaped mirror, reflecting the sky at the top, the horizon about halfway down, and whatever's underneath is going to cast a its own color into the shadows on the bottom... fortunately I didn't have to spend a lot of time on this last, all that spray sloshing around :-)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to alembic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Majenkus : If you're using Photoshop, you can use Color Dodge for some sweet reflection action. Either set the brush to Color Dodge mode or make a new layer, set that to color dodge. In the latter case, you use a lower Brightness value. For example, to mimic sunlight, set it to yellow with low saturation and 100 percent brightness if using the brush color dodge (directly painting on you target layer).

I'll give you my vote But you do need some reflections and highlights to make it sparkle. Good job D-Holme (almost gave you my vote) and alembic (I think the background and the water don't work with the plane too well. Harsh transition, but sexy plane!). General F, I like your layout. Nice font and sketches combo. What is missing for a winning entry though would be a "hero"-shot of the plane.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dragon4lunch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All in all some nice work. I seemed to think that we didnt really get into the whole idea of the challenge as much as we should have. I like the idea a lot and the work was good. I just thought most of the entries lacked that "old school " statement. mine included.

Feil Magnus: dont vote yourself, not only is it against the rules, its tacky.
    I think this design would tear itself apart with any stress, add to that your racing, short lived race.

Rabies: the idea is good w/new technology to an old name. The artwork needs some work, but, thats why we are here right?

General F: My vote went to you as yours seems to envelope the spirit of this particular challenge. And I like the style. and I like the old vettes.

alembic: By far the best rendering. I did think it lacked some distance between the original boat, and this plane. And again,sorry for stealing the sticker idea, it was a must, lol.

RedRogueXIII: Again, nice job, but to me didnt really get the relevance between your design and the spirit of the challenge (as I saw it, which is completely subjective)

D-Holme: solid as usual. looks like yours and mine could be classified and run in the same race.

Majenkus: I like the redndering and the concept as well, simply liked
    GF's car better ha ha!! nice job.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dragonspit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the vote Dragonspit!
    Yeah this was my first idw. So i was a bit optimistic on the deadline bit, but a good way to get you going with ideas and sketches when you got such a short time to finish an idea.
    My vote went to alembic, it had the best idea and execution overall imo.
    Looking forward to more challenges!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to General F. For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.